Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Delicious Bacon

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJeroen198
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maastricht, The Netherlan...
questions about picking and preparing oysters (pics)
    #1521523 - 05/05/03 12:02 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

hi people. i recently obtained a big plastic wrapped block of oyster mycellium (straw). its been in the backyard for a while, underneath a tree and its producing fruits like mad.

there are so many fruits that it is impossible to harvest them all. now i just picked some again, but they were already drying out and changing color. i still managed to find a few that looked ok.

the problem is, that inbetween the gills there are countless black speckles/particles, which i assume are just pieces of dirt that splashed up against the mushrooms because of the heavy rain and wind. i brushed them off as well as i could but its impossible to make sure they're 100% clean.

Is there any way that anything harmful could be on these mushrooms? or if not harmful, plain nasty things like insect eggs or worse?

also, i figured i should not drown these in water or rinse them at all because they are like sponges. if it IS ok to do this, please let me know.

as for the preparing to eat part, how should i cook/bake/fry these? in butter, olive oil, low/high heat, short, long, with or without lid?

some really simple, basic ways to prepare them is what i'm looking for. which herbs to use, if any.

thanks in advance!  :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Central Arkansas
Re: questions about picking and preparing oysters (pics) [Re: Jeroen198]
    #1521561 - 05/05/03 12:27 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Yum!
Bugs get in outside mushrooms of all kinds - wash them good in the sink and cut away anything you don't like the looks of.
Cut the heads off oysters and slice the stem in cross sections. Soak them in salt water for 30 minutes. Make a big pot of Chicken soup with fresh veggies and throw in the oysters to cook for about thirty minutes. Hmmm-hmmm good. You can also fry them with veggies, but the texture and taste of oysters make them a soup and stew dream. Don't eat them raw, because you can develop spore allergies - especially with oysters. If you set straw or logs under them chances are they will get inoculated too owing to the huge amount of spores oysters throw.
Best wishes!

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Central Arkansas
Re: questions about picking and preparing oysters (pics) [Re: curenado]
    #1521564 - 05/05/03 12:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Printing Oysters -
I just tried this and it works pretty good! The shape of oysters makes flat printing hard, so I got some clean new paper funnels (like you use to put your oil in?) and stuck the oyster stem first into the paper funnel and put a shower cap over it. Thick thick print...

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1521566 - 05/05/03 12:31 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

If there a bit dryed out, then washing them and soaking them will bring them back to life a bit, and make there texture better to eat imo.

There best in stir frys ext, or even just fryed with bacon and poped in a sandwich.
Oysters are a pretty versitile mushroom to eat imo.And go well with many things, chicken is a good one.

Dont know about the black spots, but if it looks like dirt splashes id say it is.Just give em a good wash and fry them up ;-)
Hope they suit your tastes :-) they do mine.

--------------------

OfflineJeroen198
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maastricht, The Netherlan...
Re: questions about picking and preparing oysters (pics) [Re: Paid]
    #1521786 - 05/05/03 02:19 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

alright. well i just ate them and they were delicious.

i didnt have time to follow the instructions i saw here, so i decided to try something myself and i happened to be lucky:

i soaked the mushrooms (cut in small pieces, 'stems', gills and everything) in a bowl of warm water, added salt, stirred a while (2 minutes at most), drained, repeated, squeezed excess water out until moist but not wet. cooked with butter, onions, salt, pepper and a load of herbs, let fry for about 10 minutes, done. yumm..

thanks to everybody here!

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1579836 - 05/26/03 11:59 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Cool! I'm gonna have to try these sometime... That recipe sounds great!

--------------------
Namaste.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Delicious Bacon

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms