Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Honey mushrooms on carrot juice residue as a substrate ...
    #3666902 - 01/23/05 08:02 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

speeker has found this abstract of a paper titled "Effects of using carrot juice residue as a substrate on fruiting body production of Armillaria ostoyae".
In there it says following:

Quote:

We investigated the fruiting body production of Armillaria ostoyae (Romagnesi) Herink using carrot (Daucu carrota L. var. sativa DC.) residue from juice manufacture as a substrate for cultural media. Two stocks of A. ostoyae (HFP-Am 82-10 and HFP-Am 82-14) were used. The rhizomorph production and elongation of the stocks increased with increasing moisture content of carrot juice residue, and a suitable moisture content was estimated to be about 70% or over (pF: 1. 5 or under). Further, the fruiting body productivity (days required for spawn running and yield of fruiting bodies) was increased by the addition of rice bran or wheat bran to the residue. Suitable additions were 4.5-12.5% ((dry weight additive)/(initial fresh weight of medium) x 100) in the case of rice bran, and 6.0-9.0% in the case of wheat bran at 75% moisture content. Under these conditions, the yield of fruiting bodies was 20-40% (w/w) of the initial fresh weight of media after cultivation for about 60 d.(Author abstract) ( Fig.:3 Table:3 Ref.:11 Total-Pages:7 Holdings:KSTI )

I wonder how the have cultivated the A. ostoyae exactly cause I am just trying to grow some myself ...
Anybody an idea how to get hold of the full paper ?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblearmedia
Dikaryon

Re: Honey mushrooms on carrot juice residue as a substrate ... [Re: ragadinks]
    #3666993 - 01/23/05 09:56 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Raga -

What is the name of the journal. The link appears to be in Korean. Its possible that the article is too; sometimes the abstract is the only part that has been translated.

What is your plan with armillaria? I have plates/slants of it, but have hesitated to work with it, since its considered a parasite, and I don't want to spread it around my neighborhood.

Though I did recently do a research paper on Armillaria root rot, and did find out that it is extremely rare that it propagates via spores. Of course it must, since there are many genetic individuals around. Researchers who attempted to infect stumps with spores were unsuccessful, and colonies are generally made of of clones, which spread via rhizomorphs and root grafts.

This fact made me think it might be okay to play around with fruiting this species after all. MAybe others here might have opinions on the topic.

There was some info in the books and papers I consulted on fruitbody formation, which is not trivial, I'm afraid. I'll list the references, if people are interested.

- A

Ps. I collected mine in the Boston area, hoping it might be bioluminescent, which it wasn't. It did have beautiful rhizomorphs, however.

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Honey mushrooms on carrot juice residue as a substrate ... [Re: armedia]
    #3667040 - 01/23/05 10:30 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

> What is the name of the journal.
> The link appears to be in Korean. Its possible that the article is too;
> sometimes the abstract is the only part that has been translated.
I am sorry but I do not know the name of the journal.
This link to the abstract is all I have myself.

> What is your plan with armillaria?
I have found some this autumn and cloned one to agar.
From that agar I have inoculated a spawn bag with fir pellets/orange slices/activated charcoal substrate.
The substrate seems to be ready now since it is really hard.

> I have plates/slants of it, but have hesitated to work with it, since its considered a parasite, and I don't want to spread it around my neighborhood.
> This fact made me think it might be okay to play around with fruiting this species after all. MAybe others here might have opinions on the topic.
I also thought of this but I do not think that it would be a problem to grow them indoors.
There are so many in the wild here on old fir stumps that any infection would rather come from there then from the ones I grew indoors.
And I think it is a very interesting species for cultivation cause it grows on softwood fir and tastes very good.

> here was some info in the books and papers I consulted on fruitbody formation, which is not trivial, I'm afraid.
> I'll list the references, if people are interested.
Yeah, I am interested  :smirk: .

> Ps. I collected mine in the Boston area, hoping it might be bioluminescent, which it wasn't.
> It did have beautiful rhizomorphs, however.
I also thought that they were not bio-luminescent, but then I went with the spawn bag under my bed in *total* darkness and after about a minute I realized that the mycelium was glowing.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #3677226 - 01/25/05 12:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ragadinks said:
I also thought that they were not bio-luminescent, but then I went with the spawn bag under my bed in *total* darkness and after about a minute I realized that the mycelium was glowing.

too... many.. questions...

if you suspected them of not being luminescent what compelled you to crawl under your bed (of all places) to check?

If you truly were in total darkness why did it take so long to determine that the mycelia was glowing?

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

Re: Honey mushrooms on carrot juice residue as a substrate ... [Re: debianlinux]
    #3677478 - 01/25/05 01:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

> if you suspected them of not being luminescent what compelled you to crawl under your bed (of all places) to check?
speeker was the reason :grin: -
he urged me to have a closer look at the mycelium in total darkness -
and under my bed there was the only place where it was totally dark at that time.

> If you truly were in total darkness why did it take so long to determine that the mycelia was glowing?
Cause my eyes had to get used to the darkness.
Have you never noticed that - when you go from light to darkness - it takes some time till your eyes get adapted to the darkness and you start to recognizing things ?
If I remember right there are different receptors in your eyes - one for black and white and one for color.
The receptors for black and white are used when there is not enough light for the color receptors ...

Edited by ragadinks (01/25/05 01:46 PM)

InvisibleSpeeker

#3678305 - 01/25/05 04:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Have to add that not all see Armillaria mycelium glowing.
One eyes have to be in good condition.. and only mycelium
that is growing vigorously glows..
It took a bit longer for me to see the glowing (on agar).
But I wasn't in pitch-darkness, though...

Onlinefalcon
In the green

Trusted Cultivator
    #3697857 - 01/29/05 12:40 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

This fact made me think it might be okay to play around with fruiting this species after all. MAybe others here might have opinions on the topic.

I think you would be OK growing honeys as long as you
keep them out of the ground.

I found ostoyae growing on a large wood chip pile in the
fall. They would probaly grow on wood chips is a large container.

Invisiblearmedia
Dikaryon

#3698313 - 01/29/05 02:31 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

The best reference I found was:

Shaw, Charles G., and Glen A. Kile. 1991. Armillaria Root Disease. Washington, D.C.: USDA Forest Service.

I don't have the book right now, but it listed quite a few references to fruiting methods.

When I get back to school I'll take it out again, and see if I can dig up a few of them.

- A

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#3706114 - 01/31/05 05:01 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

> I don't have the book right now, but it listed quite a few references to fruiting methods.
This book must be interesting cause the tip with the vitamin C for getting the armillaria to fruit must be also from this book.

> When I get back to school I'll take it out again, and see if I can dig up a few of them.
Yeah, and keep us updated :wink:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms