Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Delicious Bacon

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinejokerGD
interestedindividual
Loc: Earth
Anyone got good recepies for cooking w/ Mushrooms?
    #535635 - 01/30/02 06:32 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Hey guys, I wanna hear your best recepies for cooking with mushrooms (cubes or whatever) ...

be it a pizza or a fancy shmancy pasta sauce with mushrooms I want to hear it!! :smile:

Thanks,
-joker

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRichard_D_James
enthusiast
Re: Anyone got good recepies for cooking w/ Mushrooms? [Re: jokerGD]
    #538180 - 02/02/02 12:25 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

im a big fan of deep fried shrooms.
spread mayonaise on shroom
add a little cream cheese or chedder ot both if u like
maybe a little green onion
and bacon bits!

make into a ball and deep fry
:laugh:

Offlinecrazyman
Brass or Steel

Loc: chucktown
    #539241 - 02/03/02 02:04 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Always avoid drowning the mushrooms in oil or butter or spices or vegies. That's a great way to make an otherwise gourmet mushroom taste like spices and veggies. You can't beat morels cut in half lengthwise, dipped in an egg bath, then breadcrumbs with a little salt and pepper, then fried for 2 minutes in 1/2olive oil 1/2 butter on medium high heat and drained on paper towels. Serve with water crackers and goat cheese on the side and ONE glass of cooled red wine.

--------------------
I want to live in Northern Exposure. Ed Chigliak would be my pal.

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
    #539332 - 02/03/02 04:00 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

mushroom cream pasta sauce.. everyone who has had this loved it.. I dont believe you should follow any recipe exactly, but to improvise with what you have and like.. so here it is:
this is a general guide.. change it as you wish:
spices and herbs:
salt, pepper (freshly ground in a mortar and pestle together), cardimum, perhaps a touch of corriander or other brown herbs you like with mushrooms, and your fav fresh herbs finely chopped.
milk products:
Cream.. if you cant get that, you can use half and half, whole milk, heavy whipping cream..  whipping cream will make a nice soft sauce...
Cheese.. Romano, parmigiano origiano, or some other dry cheese with a good flavor.
MUSHROOMS!:
  Oyster, plain or "portabello/a" agaricus bisporus/brunniscens, shitake, morel (if you can get them for a reasonable price), etc etc.. anything you enjoy really..
get about half a lb per person... :wink:.. but really, whatever you can use works.. tear into reasonable chunks (around the thickness of your finger.. so the stems into half or third depending on size.. it changes their texture and the taste of the sauce.. smaller, more mushroomy sauce.. larger, more firm mushrooms.. i like a mix)
vegs:
  Onion, white or yellow is fine.. shallots if you want.. diced
  garlic, depending on how you like it.. crushed works well
other:
a little extra virgin (why use anythign else?) olive oil for the initial frying of the base vegs
-OR-
good bacon, with some of the solid fat reduced.. cook, save grease, finely chop and add before mushrooms
-OR-
Butter

get your pad med-hi or so, not hot enough to burn the onion, but still hot.. throw in about a tbls of olive oil and heat that up (if it smokes, thats too hot, throw the oil out, dab the pan clean, start again at lower heat) for a min or so.. add the garlic for about 30-60 sec, then onion. season with salt and pepper (pinch of salt, two or so of pepper) and a pinch of corriander if you want. cook till the onion is starting to get soft, then start adding the mushrooms a handfull at a time and mixing, seasoning again after every lb of mushrooms or so is added.  throw in the fresh herbs FINELY CHOPPED, allmost mashed, if you have any to add and want that extra taste(you dont want a leaf ruining the look of the sauce).  keep things well mixed and cook all those together for 3-5 min or so after adding the last of the mushrooms.. if you can't fit them all in, dont worry, you can add them later.  taste the mix, season more if necessary (more corriander will bring out some flavors nicely).  Now, turn down the heat a little, and start adding the cream/milk/whatever your useing.. keep things moveing as you do this, everything should get coated in grey/white.  keep adding and mixing till you have added about half a cup to a cup.. keep things mixing and allow the cream to reduce.. you will see it start to thicken.. keep adding more till it looks good.. usually a pint per lb of mushrooms works well enough, although i allmost allways have to do with what I can get, so milk, half and half, etc.. replace the cream.. which makes this a guesstimation.. just go with what looks good.. taste it as you go.. it should take about an hour to reduce to what you want after adding the last of the cream you plan on adding.. as it does, it picks up a delightful mushroom flavor..  once the sauce is nearly ready, reduce heat and add finely chipped/ground cheese.  boil pasta to the bite, not soft.  If pan is large enough, add pasta to pan with sauce and thuroughly mix to coat, smother, and totally encompass your pasta in mushroomy love..
eat with white wine, and good women..

dont eat this often, its not good for you...

--------------------
mushroom herb salad:
any raw-edible(and tasty) mushrooms, cut/torn whatever into thinish pieces/slices
dill, fennil, basil, parsley, mint, and whatever else you like green leafy-wise
anis root (comes with fennil, or if the fennil and the anis is the top, I forget) sliced fairly thin
a little romain or other lettuce
adjust mixture to taste
dressing:
orange juice, I used blood orange last and it was good
sherry or other white wine type stuff you like

tear all the ingredients into a bowl, mix up dressing (mostly orange, about 3:1 with sherry) and coat sides of the bowl.  Toss salad, season with finely grownd salt and pepper, and taste.. add more dressing as necessary, and re season if necessary.. then, put in fridge for an hour or two.. take out, toss again, and enjoy... this gets better overnight in the fridge too, as the flavors mix.. mmm
eat this whever you want, it is not bad for you.. add in hard boiled egg whites too for protean if you need.. or just eat something good on the side... this is, after all, just salad..

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

OfflinejokerGD
interestedindividual
Loc: Earth
Re: Anyone got good recepies for cooking w/ Mushrooms? [Re: DinoMyc]
    #543257 - 02/07/02 03:36 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

wow dino
sounds TASTY!

gonna have to try this when i can dedicate a whole day to cooking and prepping hehehe

thanks
-j

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
    #543466 - 02/07/02 10:51 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

heh thanks
it really doesnt take all that long.. maby 2 hours total, includeing cleanup, prep, etc..

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

InvisibleSumGuy
addict

#545129 - 02/08/02 07:15 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I always take portabella caps and broil on each side for 5 minutes and then crumble feta cheese on the underside of the cap and then put shrimp on it then a lil more feta cheese and some garlic and then broil until the cheese is brown it makes for an awesome snack

--------------------
-SumGuy :cool:

Edited by SumGuy (02/08/02 07:15 PM)

Offlinerungi
journeymana

Re: Anyone got good recepies for cooking w/ Mushrooms? [Re: SumGuy]
    #574630 - 03/10/02 12:30 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Here is a great Thai dish with mushrooms.
2 tablespoons of oil, 3 kaffir lime leave, 3 cloves of garlic chopped, sautee on high for 1 minuted add half pound of chicken, mushrooms( fresh straw if you can grow them), 3 tablespoons of oyster sauce, 3 shoots of bamboo chopped, cook on high until meat is done, add fresh basil leave about 15 serve over rice.

Offlinecelsius

#576870 - 03/12/02 02:34 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup minced yellow onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
8 ounces exotic mushrooms, such as chanterelles, wood ears, morels, shiitakes, cleaned and chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper, plus 1/4 teaspoon
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons chopped sage
2 teaspoons chopped thyme
2 egg whites
10 to 12 slices prosciutto
Cognac Mustard Sauce, recipe follows
Cornichons, for serving
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper, and cook until they give off their liquid, about 5 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and cool.

In a mixing bowl, combine the beef, pork, buttermilk, sage, thyme, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, egg whites, and the cooled mushrooms. Stir well to blend. Line a 6-cup (12 by 3 by 3-inch) terrine mold with prosciutto slices, overhanging the strips over the edges of the mold. Pour the pate filling into the mold and cover with the prosciutto. Wrap the terrine loosely in plastic wrap. Top with an equal sized terrine, or a piece of cardboard wrapped in aluminum foil. Place a brick on top of the terrine mold and bake for 1 hour.

Remove from the oven and allow pate to stand for 30 minutes before removing the weight and unwrapping. Pour off any accumulated juices and allow pate to cool completely. Cover pate with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely cooled. Serve slices of pate either cold or at room temperature, lightly drizzled with the Cognac Mustard Sauce, with cornichons on the side.

Cognac mustard sauce:
1/2 cup dry mustard
1/2 cup brandy or Cognac
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and whisk until well incorporated.

1 pound butter, room temperature
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley, plus 1 tablespoon
Salt and pepper
1 pound medium size mushrooms
Olive oil
Preheat a grill. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine butter, garlic, and 1/2 cup of the parsley, and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

To prepare the mushrooms, remove stems, lightly coat with olive oil, and grill until tender. Place a spoonful of the butter mixture on each mushroom, and bake until butter is melted, approximately 3 minutes.

To serve, place on large platter, and sprinkle with remaining parsley.

6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced
6 ounces oyster mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced
8 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed, and sliced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup brandy
6 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 (8-inch long) thin baguette French bread, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
3 cloves peeled, crushed garlic
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, and cayenne and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring, the mushrooms give off their liquid and start to brown, about 7 minutes. Add the brandy, bring to a boil and cook until glazed, about 2 minutes. Add the stock and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.

Remove from the heat and puree with a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor. Add the cream, return to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and adjust seasoning, to taste.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Rub both sides of the French bread slices with the crushed garlic and place on a baking sheet. With a pastry brush, brush 1 side with the olive oil. Top with a fine sprinkling of the cheese and bake until the cheese is bubbly, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven.

To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with 2 croutons.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Delicious Bacon

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms