Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Aquariums...reccomendations
    #3641463 - 01/17/05 10:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

OK, I know we've discussed aquariums here a few times so I know there are a few people here that keep fish (Paw even breeds if I remember right).  I miss my fish and I have been tossing around the idea of putting together another system for a while now.

What I don't need is advice on what kind of fish and how to maintain them.  What I do need is some opinions with the actual aquariums.

The first first obvious choice is glass or acrylic.  I've heard horror stories about acrylic tanks and scratching.  But is this really such a big problem?  I am the only one who takes care of my tank and I am always overly cautious with it.  And I don't have kids or anything like that around to worry about.  So would it still be a bad idea to go with acrylic tanks?  If I hadn't seen any acrylic tanks that I liked I wouldn't ask, but the problem is that I've seen some acrylic systems that I really liked! :crazy:

Second thing I was wondering...any thoughts on buying someones used shit as opposed to brand new?  I've always been wary of used items, especially things that have the potential for catastrophic failure!!  Has anyone ever bought a used system and actually got something nice?  And what are the most important things to watch out for with used aquariums and equipment?  Its just that you can get such a good deal on used stuff sometimes.

Third, as far as new equipment goes...wheres the best place to shop?  Would I be better served by scouring every pet store in town for deals or are there some better places to buy aquariums (in catalogs or on-line)?  And do you have any  links to good on-line retailers?  When you are talking about dropping a grand or so on a system it pays to shop around.

Last, how do you go about finding good, healthy fish if you can't find a local retail store you trust?  Unfortunately, the one fish store that I used to frequent all the time closed a couple years ago.  Since I had sold my previous system I didn't care, now I really wish I could find a good fish store again. :sad:

Any opinions/help would be appreciated.

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Aquariums...reccomendations [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #3641629 - 01/17/05 10:59 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

buy breeder direct. often they are shipped, unless near you, but they are WAY better quality. i havnt used acryilic in fish tanks, but have in vivariums and it does indeed scratch bad. but in water if you use a fine type cloth to wipe it down with you should be fine. its also easier to drill adn tehrefor make a better system. glass can be tricky and you obviously risk fuckign up your tank...

when i was more into aquatics i would back/bottom/side all my tanks with wood and make my own. can get some really beautifull stuff if yu have the tools. but then affixing the glass is doen by light and i never got into that end of it ebcause i stayed small....not sure what you would do for larger ones unless theres a shop around that can do it.

as far as filters, circulation, mixtures etc im too far outa the loop to help you....been ages.

be sure to post pics....no body doesnt liek aquarium pics!

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #3662166 - 01/22/05 09:05 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

bump

No help with this one? Wheres Paw?

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #3662292 - 01/22/05 10:18 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ToTheSummit said:
Has anyone ever bought a used system and actually got something nice? And what are the most important things to watch out for with used aquariums and equipment?

We bought a used 400 liter aquarium 2 years ago. Good price, been working fine, no probs.

My advice:If you're buying a used fish tank, ask if you can go and take a look at it while it's still in use, best way to see if it leaks. I wouldn't buy an aquarium that "somebody found from the back of his garage and hasn't used"...at the very least ask if you can fill it up with water before you buy it.

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom