Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca, Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Recognizing Evil
    #3661774 - 01/22/05 03:56 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Many years ago my brother who was attending Bible College, questioned my marijuana usage. I said it was no big deal and not that much different than having a drink. After he got off his soapbox about how it would lead to my destruction, I suggested he take a toke. "One joint would not hurt you," I told him; "nor will it make you irresponsible or an addict. But you will have a better understanding of what you talk about." At least then he could make a REAL value judgement. He curtly replied that he did not have to do evil to recognize evil. "WTF?" I replied. He countered with "Have you ever killed a man?" "Of course not!" I replied. "Then how do you know it is evil?" he countered. "Because someone else is hurt and their most precious possession is stolen!" was my response.

Does his argument hold at all? How do you know evil?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
Re: Recognizing Evil [Re: Swami]
    #3661781 - 01/22/05 04:00 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Does his argument hold at all?

yes to him it does and thats all that matters.

How do you know evil?

i know i don't know what it is, its only moral, ethical judgement made by religous and society and if you tend to go against the flow that religions and society's moral and ethic code its consider evil.

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Recognizing Evil [Re: spudamore]
    #3661839 - 01/22/05 04:30 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

His argument clearly doesn't hold at all. It's the moralistic banter of a person completely intellectually and spiritually repressed. He wasn't recognizing anything through his own awareness or instincts, but rather was simply parrotting the moral code of the ideology he subscribed to.

Having a moralistic position based on the concept of good and evil is inherently flawed because it doesn't allow room for the dynamic nature of reality and instead packages all things into a predetermined role in a "correct" ideology.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Mr. Dogma Free
 User Gallery

Loc: The Hand
    #3662246 - 01/22/05 11:50 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe you should define "Evil" for us, as your example doesn't seem evil to me. Judgemental and an arguementative attempt to change the other's mind? Yes to both your brother and to you Swami.

Your brother- Judgemental, attempted conversion of you to his way of thinking, and arguing that your way of thinking and doing by toking is wrong. Therefore, YOU are wrong.
"Smoking marijuana is evil, you shouldn't do it because I don't based on my finding religion".

You - Judgemental, attempted conversion of him to your way of thinking and doing by twisting his arm to try to get him to toke. Arguing with him and he with you. "WTF".
"Cmon, bro, take a puff or two, you are becoming such a square born again. Try it, you may like it!"

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Edited by LunarEclipse (01/22/05 11:54 AM)

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Recognizing Evil [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #3662498 - 01/22/05 01:39 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I had that same argument with my mother recently. Pot's effects are internal and only affect the user, whereas killing someone externally affects someone else. I can say that I don't want to kill someone, without ever having, because the external consequence can be objectively understood and classified as bad. But I *can't* (nor can anyone else) say I don't want to smoke pot without ever having done so because the effect is internal and cannot be fully understood without experiencing it.

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
    #3662511 - 01/22/05 01:41 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Evil is for the church to burden the man who sees no evil.

Offlineincubaby_421
half naked andfull witted
 User Gallery

Loc: the center of the univers...
Re: Recognizing Evil [Re: Droz]
    #3663224 - 01/22/05 05:33 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

church+pot= no good, no good at all
allow me to reitterate
church likes power and control over thoughts and actions.
pot likes freedom of action and mind.
the two just dont mix, if everybody smoked pot, organized religion would not work.

i dont feel that your brothers opinion has anything valid about it at all. maybe you should focus on talking him into mushrooms, cant be too hard, state a few ancient religions that used them, call it research, expand mind. rinse well and repeat if necesary.

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Recognizing Evil [Re: incubaby_421]
    #3663269 - 01/22/05 05:44 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Another good BAC friend of mine who is into alternative healing, would not even crack open a book I lent him on Ayahuasca. Seems the fear of "evil" is too great to even read about "drugs".

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlineincubaby_421
 User Gallery

#3663301 - 01/22/05 05:53 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

but ayahuasca is not a drug, it is not used as a drug, and anybody who would take the time and effort to figure out how to make it would surely learn along the way that this is no drug, there is nothing "fun" per say, about ayahuasca, i would like to do it, but thats what i use substances for, i dont really use them for "fun", well not most of the time at least, i just dont get some people, i want to feed them shroom food and force them to open thier minds, but i guess there are such unfortunates.

--------------------
"yet the more i dig, the more i consume, the more i unfold... the less protected i feel.
i am the spit on the hair of the son of an electron, swimming around the nucleus of a cell inside the sperm of a killer bee, and my purpose is as nebulous as why weve been bestowed with the capacity to give a shit" Brandon Boyd

InvisibleDark_Star
dick butterfly
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Under the Grecian fog
    #3663373 - 01/22/05 06:14 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Evil is deliberatly causing harm to others, or attempting to control others for your own purposes. Evil=hate, intolerence, pain, fear, hopelessness, ect.....when you see someone messing with the lives of their brothers and sisters, as well animals and the planet, that is evil. examples; rape, murder, verbal/physical abuse, the war on drugs, hatred of homosexuals, racism, ect, ect.......

--------------------

Offlineincubaby_421
 User Gallery

Re: Recognizing Evil [Re: Dark_Star]
    #3663510 - 01/22/05 06:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

im a hobophobic.... is that evil?

i like to poke them with sticks... :poke:

--------------------

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: Recognizing Evil [Re: incubaby_421]
    #3663567 - 01/22/05 07:03 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

incubaby_421 said:
but ayahuasca is not a drug, it is not used as a drug, and anybody who would take the time and effort to figure out how to make it would surely learn along the way that this is no drug, there is nothing "fun" per say, about ayahuasca, i would like to do it,

how is it not a drug? what's your definition of the word? you say with authority that there is nothing fun about it, yet you've never done it?

Offlineincubaby_421
 User Gallery

Re: Recognizing Evil [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3663983 - 01/22/05 08:31 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

dont you read? i guess some may find vomiting and shitting all night fun.... my definition of the word drug is very far off from any other, i dont view mushrooms, pot, or even heroin, as drugs, at least not tomyself, i think the word "drug" is in the eye of the beholder, i think to call something a drug, you must abuse it or use it for nonsensical purposes, i think the word drug is a nasty word which i basically reserve for the likes of crack. i like to call these things, mind expansion vehicles, becuase that is what i use them for.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca, Toilet Paper

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology