Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLikeyourmomma
Stranger
Glove Box Fan * 1
    #3593259 - 01/07/05 10:45 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

:cool: :confused:  I have the materials I need to build my own glove box but I was going over some materials and I have a question. Some teks show glove boxes with fans and I'm just curious if this is necessary. Can I just use a synthetic filter to allow air exchange or is this not enough if I'm going to use an alcohol lamp in the box. By the way I'm using thick plastic sheeting and PVC tubing so I can take my box apart and store it when I'm not using it. Thanks.  :thumbup: :ooo: :smirk: :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glove Box Fan [Re: Likeyourmomma]
    #3593299 - 01/07/05 10:58 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

No need for a FAN in a Glove Box. Without a hepa filter on it - you would just INCREASE the chance of a contam getting in.

--------------------

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: Glove Box Fan [Re: agar]
    #3593355 - 01/07/05 11:22 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I concur. A fan will be detrimental. It will bring in more contams than it pushes out.

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
    #3593752 - 01/07/05 01:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

If you want to make a simple hepa-hood...

Buy a single hepa cartridge (Rectangular flat honeywell hepa filter), and a CPU BLOWER (Not a CPU FAN). Similar to this... http://www.svc.com/uvpcifan-blu-11.html

Then you can use cardboard (Not reccomended), Plexi-glass (Prefered), or metal (Prefered). For cardboard: use a razor to cut, for plexi-glass: use a dremmel/drill, for metal use a nibbler tool. Build a flat plate large enough to cover the rubber seal on the filter. Cut a hole in the plate large enough to moune the blower hole onto. Place additional "Foam Weather Strips", along the edges, against the rubber seal, and a circular one where the fan hole lines up with the plate hole. Use rubber-bands to hold the filter in place on the plate, and use double sided tape to hold the fan onto the plate. (The fan can be permanently mounted, the filter will need replacement after a year.)

Since you are not going to filter your entire house with this, and since the fan has a low CFM, high static pressure. You will only need to replace teh filter after 12 months, not every month. (The filter also has a surface treated anti-microbal agent that stops microbes from breeding on the filter when not in use.)

The fan runs off of a 12v power supply, any wall-wart that is 10v - 14v will work.

This can be simplified if the "Hood" of your clean box, is the mounting surface. (The hepa would mount on the outside, while the fan is inside your hood, the plate would be the plastic from the top of your box.) I like to run mine with a hose, drawing in cooler floor air, not warmer cieling air.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glove Box Fan [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3594428 - 01/07/05 04:03 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Here is the ultimate in glovebox ULPA fans, It's my own creation made from a 120mm axial fan and a mini ULPA filter Which filters 99.999% down to .01 micron.

Of course these are not cheap! Vaccuum filters will introduce quite a bit more contams as they are not anywhere as efficient but get a good one and I should work just fine, I myself prefer "still air" glove boxes which introduces next to nothing as far as contams are concerned. And the cultivator is the only one responsible for a faulty sterile culture technique.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineLikeyourmomma
Stranger
Re: Glove Box Fan [Re: agar]
    #3597856 - 01/08/05 10:23 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:
No need for a FAN in a Glove Box. Without a hepa filter on it - you would just INCREASE the chance of a contam getting in.

I plan on using some kind of filter with the fan. Can I just use a fitler mounted on the hood to allow for heat to leave the hood if I am using an alcohol lamp in it? Is that the main reason to have a fan?

OfflineLikeyourmomma
Stranger
Re: Glove Box Fan [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3597872 - 01/08/05 10:28 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

LaughingJim said:
If you want to make a simple hepa-hood...

Buy a single hepa cartridge (Rectangular flat honeywell hepa filter), and a CPU BLOWER (Not a CPU FAN). Similar to this... http://www.svc.com/uvpcifan-blu-11.html

Then you can use cardboard (Not reccomended), Plexi-glass (Prefered), or metal (Prefered). For cardboard: use a razor to cut, for plexi-glass: use a dremmel/drill, for metal use a nibbler tool. Build a flat plate large enough to cover the rubber seal on the filter. Cut a hole in the plate large enough to moune the blower hole onto. Place additional "Foam Weather Strips", along the edges, against the rubber seal, and a circular one where the fan hole lines up with the plate hole. Use rubber-bands to hold the filter in place on the plate, and use double sided tape to hold the fan onto the plate. (The fan can be permanently mounted, the filter will need replacement after a year.)

Since you are not going to filter your entire house with this, and since the fan has a low CFM, high static pressure. You will only need to replace teh filter after 12 months, not every month. (The filter also has a surface treated anti-microbal agent that stops microbes from breeding on the filter when not in use.)

The fan runs off of a 12v power supply, any wall-wart that is 10v - 14v will work.

This can be simplified if the "Hood" of your clean box, is the mounting surface. (The hepa would mount on the outside, while the fan is inside your hood, the plate would be the plastic from the top of your box.) I like to run mine with a hose, drawing in cooler floor air, not warmer cieling air.

:ooo:Do they make small hepa cartridges say 3" X 3" or am I going to have to manufacture one out of a larger filter? Thanks.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3598122 - 01/08/05 11:45 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Likeyourmomma said:
Quote:

agar said:

I plan on using some kind of filter with the fan. Can I just use a fitler mounted on the hood to allow for heat to leave the hood if I am using an alcohol lamp in it? Is that the main reason to have a fan?

Main reason for the fan/filter was to pressurize the box therefore contams cannot enter the box without going thru the filter. As a side benefit it would keep the box cooler with using an alcohol lamp. In a large enough GB an alcohol lamp shouldn't be a big heat problem as you will be moving deliberate and methodically having that lamp burning only as long as absolutely necessary, this is good practice in anyones sterile culture technique and is some thing to master if at all serious about this hobby IMHO. I started with a lamp and GB and the only problem I ever had was the first time I lit the lamp, my GB being slanted I had placed the lamp too close to the arm holes and almost melted the plexiglass, a simple adjustment of 4in. was all it took to rectify the problem. Now when working in a GB I only use a micro-torch so it's a flame on demand only, no wasted fuel or unnecessary heating of the GB. It also had a dual element ion generator which provided a zero contam record. Thats right 100% contam free!

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineLikeyourmomma
Stranger
Re: Glove Box Fan [Re: hyphae]
    #3598594 - 01/08/05 01:23 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

thanks, I think I'll go the torch route and just cut a hole in the plastic sheathing and put a sunthetic plastic filter over the whole (the kind I will use for my jars) so that some heat can escape if necessary. That sound ok? I'm going fo simplicity in the beginning until I get through my first flush.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3598641 - 01/08/05 01:34 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

You won't even need a heat vent when using a micro-torch :wink: Keep it simple :cool:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glove Box Fan [Re: hyphae]
    #3598904 - 01/08/05 02:46 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

ahahahahahaha hyphae ur using the fmrc ioniser.
i started a thread over mycotopia just about the ioniser,
glad to hear ur using it with success.

atm its just 'watching' my agar while cooling down to peroxide operation temperature :smile:
nice to see someone else besides me also got it.
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

OfflineLikeyourmomma
Stranger
Re: Glove Box Fan [Re: ohmatic]
    #3600506 - 01/08/05 09:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds good. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale