Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Laminar Flow Hood

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Loc: The Depths of My Psyche
How can I make an effective makeshift glove box?
    #2626117 - 05/01/04 03:26 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Alright, I didn?t realize that sterilizing my PF jars with the lids tightly sealed would create a vacuum seal. Now I?ve been told I should inoculate my jars in a sterile plastic bag to prevent airborne contaminates from getting sucked into the jars when I remove the tape.

I?m not sure exacting how I should go about doing this. I don?t have any large clear plastic bags, so I guess I?ll have to pick up some clear plastic garbage bags from Home Depot.

I was also told to just spray the inside of the bag with Lysol, is there anything else I should do? I?ll have to continuously place things in and out of the bags if I?m going to complete the entire inoculation in the bag. Would it be alright if I just removed the tape from within the bag, and inoculate outside of the bag?

Thanks,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------
In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

-Carl Sagan

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCitricM
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: ShroomNoob03]
    #2626133 - 05/01/04 03:29 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Fast, easy, fool proof inoculation
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Re: How can I make an effective makeshift glove box? [Re: Citric]
    #2626153 - 05/01/04 03:35 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I used regular black electrical tape, and I was told that because I sealed the jars tightly it created a vacuum seal. How do you know if a certain type of tape is breathable or not?

But, either way, it is still too late...I already sterilized the jars.

What I should do now is what I'm interested in getting advice on.

But thanks for the reply,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------
In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

-Carl Sagan

OfflinemrTtheH
Micro Bio

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: How can I make an effective makeshift glove box? [Re: ShroomNoob03]
    #2626162 - 05/01/04 03:37 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

u can make a 5 dollar glove box... and keep it for future use..

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

"Human beings, the potentially highest form of life expression on this planet have built the vast pharmaceutical industry for the central purpose of poisoning the lowest form of life on the planet--germs!"--Dr. Richard Murray

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Loc: Throughout the world
    #2626192 - 05/01/04 03:45 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

If you dont wanna do the bag do this:take all your jars and put them in the bag/sprayed with lysol as said.Then loosen the lids a little and take off the tape and then place back on,all inside the bag.This will release the vacuem.Then after all are done and the tape is back on,follow this procedure for innoculation:
Oven Tek

You can skip the bag all together,but i wouldnt,somesort of glovebox should be used.I dont have problems with contams though.

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

InvisibleCitricM
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: mrTtheH]
    #2626200 - 05/01/04 03:46 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Fast, easy, fool proof inoculation
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflinemrTtheH
Micro Bio

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: How can I make an effective makeshift glove box? [Re: Citric]
    #2626211 - 05/01/04 03:50 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

20 qt rubber maid containers are 3 bux... gloves are cheap.. uve already got tape... weather strip between the lid and box... spray lysol air cleaner and clean inside with lysol... put on shelf in closet when your done.. use again later...

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

"Human beings, the potentially highest form of life expression on this planet have built the vast pharmaceutical industry for the central purpose of poisoning the lowest form of life on the planet--germs!"--Dr. Richard Murray

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Re: How can I make an effective makeshift glove box? [Re: ButterNut]
    #2626270 - 05/01/04 04:08 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

If you dont wanna do the bag do this:take all your jars and put them in the bag/sprayed with lysol as said.Then loosen the lids a little and take off the tape and then place back on,all inside the bag.This will release the vacuem.Then after all are done and the tape is back on,follow this procedure for innoculation:
Oven Tek

You can skip the bag all together,but i wouldnt,somesort of glovebox should be used.I dont have problems with contams though.

Alright that sounds good, I think I'll do what you said. But one other thing, what temperature should I set the oven too? My oven has a digital interface so I can enter any temperature. Would setting it to bake at 80F be sufficient?

Thanks for the replies everyone,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------

-Carl Sagan

Invisiblesakura
Aussie Expat

Loc: Japan
    #2626310 - 05/01/04 04:17 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I just made one 15 mins ago :wink:

Cardboard box...  viewing window and arm holes cut out (I made mine without a base, but that's not part of the standard tek...) lined inside with aluminium foil.

Cut the bottom out of 2 smallis plastic bags, turn your rubber gloves inside out and attach.  Turn gloves and bags right way in again and feed threough the armholes and tape secruely outside the box.

Put some clear wrap over your viewing hole and there you go...  Sealed glove box.

Sterilise well with your favourite preparation (I use bleach water 'cause I can't get Lysol here...) and away you go :wink:

--------------------
Shrooms aren't everyone's cup of tea... (Some folks just eat 'em)

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

#2626319 - 05/01/04 04:19 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

read the tek my man,i believe its tells you the Lowest setting,whatever that is.Its all in the link though.
:goodluck:

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
    #2626329 - 05/01/04 04:23 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

read the tek my man,i believe its tells you the Lowest setting,whatever that is.Its all in the link though.

Dood, I read the entire link. It says lowest setting but there is no "lowest" setting for my oven. You have to enter an exact temperature. The literal "lowest" setting I can put it on is 1F, but of course it isn't going to go that low.

ShroomNoob03

--------------------

-Carl Sagan

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

#2626334 - 05/01/04 04:25 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

then use your best judgement man,just a steady warm flow of air.My ovens lowest temp is 150F.

--------------------

Invisiblesakura
Aussie Expat

Loc: Japan
    #2626372 - 05/01/04 04:34 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

When I use oven tek, I usually set it to 110C (other than that, I got 40C for the warmer and I thought that was too low)

I work about 15 - 20 cm away from the door and have had good success that way :wink:

--------------------
Shrooms aren't everyone's cup of tea... (Some folks just eat 'em)

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
    #2626859 - 05/01/04 06:45 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I ended up setting it too 100F, it wouldn't let me set the temperature any lower. I guess I did have a lowest setting on my over, sorry about that butternut.

Thanks everybody,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------

-Carl Sagan

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

#2626868 - 05/01/04 06:47 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

its cool man,glad it worked for ya.
  :goodluck:

--------------------

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2626879 - 05/01/04 06:51 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The reason the oven tek works is the rapid rise of heat creates a makeshift flow hood that ,in theory,will prevent contams from landing on the jars. Dont forget to sterilize anything that will come into contact with them, including yourself. As far as the temp goes you need it high enough that there is a fair difference in the air in the oven and the air in the kitchen. In other words since you have an oven that is more adjustable than most it wouldnt work very well at 80deg F unless it was pretty cool in the room. I think it is a good idea to first heat the oven closed to around 350 for about 20min and then set it to a lower setting like 150 and open the door. This will prevent any contamination inside your oven from being lifted out by the rising air and landing on you,your jars,or your other equipment! The initial high temp period should kill anything alive in there!
Good Luck and use painters masking tape next time.(blue kind)

MYKEY

--------------------

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
    #2629503 - 05/02/04 11:26 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

For the glove box I just took a small clear plastic grocery bag and sprayed it with Lysol. The thing is, I think I used the wrong type. I?m pretty sure you were referring to the spray can of Lysol that says on it that it ?Kills 99.9% of Germs in 30 seconds? or something of that nature.

Except, I used the Lysol that comes in the spray bottle, not can. I?m pretty sure it is for cleaning glass surfaces and stuff like that. It didn?t say anything about killing germs on the bottle it came it.

Even though I?m sure it killed all the germs on the surface of the bag I don?t think it killed the airborne contaminates that could have been in the air (in the bag). I could be wrong though, do you guys think what I used was alright?

Thanks for all of your help,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------

-Carl Sagan

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
    #2633198 - 05/03/04 07:20 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Bump :smile:

ShroomNoob03

--------------------

-Carl Sagan

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2634600 - 05/03/04 11:44 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

check out this glove bag i made,

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How can I make an effective makeshift glove box? [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2634618 - 05/03/04 11:49 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

yea forgot the pic, i just have a filter from a hazmat mask on it, i had a pc fan and just hooked up a larger inline fan but a dayton would work much better.

I just used normal kicthen gloves taped to extensions i made then taped the extension tubes to the bag on either side sticking about 1/2" out the slit in the side, then took 2 more pieces of tape around the lip. I find working if front of my oven works fine for g2g but not for agar work.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Laminar Flow Hood

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation