Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethirdeyeopen23
hydro expert,mushroom novice

about the martha..
    #3579243 - 01/04/05 11:59 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i was wondering, do you have to sterilize the inside of the martha setup? if so how do you go about doing that?

--------------------
want to learn how to grow cannabis also goto www.overgrow.com and check us out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetoasty1
goofball
Male User Gallery
Loc: In my head
Re: about the martha.. [Re: thirdeyeopen23]
    #3579260 - 01/04/05 12:03 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

10% bleach solution works for me. I just use a sprayer.

--------------------
If it bleeds for a week...dont trust it

Offlinethirdeyeopen23

Re: about the martha.. [Re: toasty1]
    #3579333 - 01/04/05 12:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

what about doing jars? is it absolutly needed to have a flow hood to inoc jars, if not what do you need suplies wise and how can i do it without contams?

--------------------

Offlinethirdeyeopen23

#3579879 - 01/04/05 02:48 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

bump

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3579913 - 01/04/05 02:55 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

White vinigar in one spray bottle. 3% peroxide in another spray bottle. Spray one on, give it a moment, spray the other on, give it a few moments.... then wipe down with clean cloth. Cheap & effective to dissinfect anything.

To syringe inject anything. Simply keep needle in alc swabbed wrap. Push though & pull back into. Simple as that

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: about the martha.. [Re: agar]
    #3580321 - 01/04/05 04:12 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I use a spray bottle with alcohol in it for casing containers and the inside of my closet. I dont trust peroxide as much...you need a mask and goggles or to close your eyes for this though while you spray alcohol of course and you dont need much..you dont use it as a spray cleaner just the sprayer as an easy dispenser and wipe up with clean paper towels...works for me. For jars I use alcohol swabs, swab the tyvek before injecting then flame the needle, wrap swab around the needle..inject through it and pull out.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: about the martha.. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3580350 - 01/04/05 04:18 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Vinegar and Hydrogen peroxide as Disinfectants
by Judy Stouffer, B.S., M.S., SFO

You can make your kitchen a cleaner, safer place and fight bacteria, without exposing yourself and your family to toxic chemicals that also damage the environment. You can use a simple safe disinfecting spray that is more effective than any of the commercial cleaners in killing bacteria. As a bonus, it is inexpensive!

Susan Sumner, a food scientist at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, worked out the recipe for just such a sanitizing combo. All you need is three percent hydrogen peroxide, the same strength available at the drug store for gargling or disinfecting wounds, and plain white or apple cider vinegar, and a pair of brand new clean sprayers, like the kind you use to dampen laundry before ironing.

If you're cleaning vegetables or fruit, just spritz them well first with both the vinegar and the hydrogen peroxide, and then rinse them off under running water.

It doesn't matter which you use first - you can spray with the vinegar then the hydrogen peroxide, or with the hydrogen peroxide followed by the vinegar. You won't get any lingering taste of vinegar or hydrogen peroxide, and neither is toxic to you if a small amount remains on the produce.

As a bonus: The paired sprays work exceptionally well in sanitizing counters and other food preparation surfaces -- including wood cutting boards.

In tests run at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, pairing the two mists killed virtually all Salmonella, Shigella, or E. coli bacteria on heavily contaminated food and surfaces when used in this fashion, making this spray combination more effective at killing these potentially lethal bacteria than chlorine bleach or any commercially available kitchen cleaner.

The best results came from using one mist right after the other - it is 10 times more effective than using either spray by itself and more effective than mixing the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in one sprayer.

Science News August 8, 1998; Vol. 154, Issue. 6; pg. 83-85

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: about the martha.. [Re: agar]
    #3580478 - 01/04/05 04:57 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Ive read that but I think they just felt alcohol was to much to use a spray to clean stuff, especially since this is meant to be applied to food and kitchen counters for food prep. With alcohol you do have to be a little carful like I said..spray slowly and directly onto the surface and use eye, nose and mouth protection.

I'm sure actually that this would work well but ONLY if used both. I dont think either by themselves would do much.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinethirdeyeopen23

#3580588 - 01/04/05 05:22 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

do you have to foil wrap tyvex cover jars in the pressure cooker?.

also from what youre saying i can spray alcohol in the martha and the containers i wish to case the grains in and wipe out? do you have to clean the martha with air flow on in it (i.e. the cool mist on?) to prevent reinfection? and you would want to clean the container inside the martha then and do the casings and such inside of it? thanks for all the help guys!!!

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3580708 - 01/04/05 05:46 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

>do you have to foil wrap tyvex cover jars in the pressure cooker?.
You dont have to, but you should.

>also from what youre saying i can spray alcohol in the martha and the >containers i wish to case the grains in and wipe out?
I do about 6 dozen casings every 6 weeks like that. The containers of course were already either new or cleaned and ran through the dishwasher..the alcohol spray is just for last minute sterilization right when your ready to case, not for cleaning out casing containers to reuse.

>do you have to clean the martha with air flow on in it (i.e. the cool mist on?) >to prevent reinfection?
I dont get this? When cleaning you shouldnt have any airflow around you blowing in new contams. You want the inside of your martha to be cleaned well..with whatever..then you dont want anything unsterile going into it...including casing containers, casings, water, air, hands, ect. H202 is used to clean water in cool mists and a cool mist if that is your air exchange should be enough to filter the air going into it and making it positivly pressurized so nothing can get in any holes or cracks or whatever

>and you would want to clean the container inside the martha then and do >the casings and such inside of it?
Are you talking about a glovebox maybe? The Martha is just a Martha Stewert closet meant for fruiting, not a completly sterile environment. You clean your martha..then go make the casings somewhere sterile (a clean bathroom or kitchen) making sure to wipe out the casing containers with alcohol before putting anything into them. Then you incubate for a few days..patch..mist..and then they go into your martha.

--------------------

Offlinethirdeyeopen23

#3580783 - 01/04/05 05:58 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

thanks for the replys and all of your patientce :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale