Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?
 Arcade Champion: Maeda Line, Moon Patrol

Loc: Nowhere fast
Rebuild Me
    #3564205 - 12/31/04 04:43 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hey.  I've been thinking about this for a while, and figured I'd ask for advice.

My single new years resolution (aside from graduating college) is to "rebuild" myself from my current state.  I'm significantly overweight, out of shape, lazy/tired, and involved in a minor alcohol/pot habit.

I've already decided to give up booze for a good while (after NYE of course!  :grin:) , and pot too.  The habits are extremely infrequent (except for alcohol, about one beer a day w/dinner), so that should be the easy part.

The more difficult part will be getting in shape/losing weight/becoming healthy again.  Right now it's winter in upstate NY, which means -20 degree weather and snow, so there's not much I can do outdoors.  But I do have a bike that I'd prefer to use (over my car) in the spring.  I also have access to the campus gym, but as of lately I've been completely sedentary.  I wouldn't know how to start a workout program, or what weights to use.. but I could definately do it if someone could help me set it up.  Ideally I'd like to lose weight and gain stamina (obviously they go together but those are the two biggest things to focus on.)

Also.. I've started taking a Centrum multivitamin, because I'm sure my eating habits don't provide me with all the nutrients I need.  I could do with a radical change in diet.. and I've been considering taking the vegan route.  Then again, I honestly know very little about it, and I don't know if that works well with weight loss, although I imagine it would be fairly cleansing.

So I guess I have two questions:

Would anyone here be able to help me create a workout program targeting weight-loss and stamina (assuming access to a moderately stocked gym), and

Does anyone have beginner advice for an aspiring vegan, like where to start?  And/or, does anyone know of any complications/benefits with this type of diet and weight loss?

Thanks for reading all that.. and have an Awesome New Year!  :grin: :grin: :thumbup:

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: Rebuild Me [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #3564278 - 12/31/04 05:52 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

lose weight and build stamina = cardio cardio cardio. Get that heart rate way up there

http://www.weightlossforgood.co.uk/target_heart_rate.htm chart for cardio

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:fYf...lient=firefox-a

advice for cardio exercises in the second.

Start a healthier diet, this doesn't mean health nut, just slowly work for better meals, less junk, more water.

That's all the best to lose weight, if you're interested in strength training, PM me and I'll take some time with ya. Later, Derx

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

OfflinePsyhigh
Lost
    #3564523 - 12/31/04 09:54 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm confident a vegan diet will help you achieve weight loss (I have very rarely heard of anyone -gaining- weight on a vegan diet, maybe once). Cutting out the saturated fats from dairy and meats will certainly physically help, and you may experience higher energy levels which will also help all round for your goals.

I would certainly emphasise my opinion that the transition is very much a weening process - for the sake of your body, who is use to dietary routines. First, switch to a vegetarian diet and see how this works for you. If you continue to aspire a vegan diet, I would again suggest to do so gradually, slowly cutting out the milk, the cheese, the yoghurt etc. The vegan diet can be argued to be one of the healthiest diets but -only- if its a healthy one! I'd suggest that you'll only achieve health benefits from a vegan diet if you are prepared to reprogram your taste buds (ie return em to default :smile:  ), and more importantly that you enjoy or have the potential to enjoy cooking and preparing food, and also the time to do so. This is an important factor, or else it can be hard to get the nutrition that our bodies need.

I don't want to go too much into what I have in this post but if you are require more help feel free to contact. Dairy is thought to be 'good for bones' but it is actually a major cause of osteoperosis because its high protein content leaches the bones of calcium. Calcium is high in green vegetables and leafy salads, so its good to eat plenty of these. Seeds and nuts are also full of minerals, like zinc and iron, as well as protein and fats which are beneficial to body and not detrimental (as in meat and dairy). Fish is renowned for its beneficial oil content, namely Omega 3 which is vital for every cell in body, mental function, fighting disease, and also body weight regulation, but a higher source of it than fish is in Linseed(also known as Flax seed) so see if you can get to a health store and purchase some and take a tablespoon every morn and night (refrigerate at all times and keep out of sunlight as it will spoil the highly beneficial oil). Fish is also high in concentrated toxins these days like mercury and PCB's so best to avoid. There is plenty of alternative sources of protein, and unlike meat and dairy its highly digestable (ie your body gets the most from it). If eating correctly, vegans and vege's arn't wafers! My cupboards are stocked with beans (baked, kidney) lentils, Quinoa is -very- healthy and good source of protein, Tofu(i usually crumble into pasta sauces or baked beans for high protein - cook as you would anyway), my meals usually consist of a mixture of the above with brown pasta, rice, or potatoes, and lots of veg. Also, yes, lots of fibre to clean out your digestive system and colon regularly will help all round also and is important for optimuim nutrition absorption. Most vegans supplement with vit B12 because this is abundant in meat and dairy but hard to get elsewhere. A multivit that I take contains ample B12, and I also have yeast extract on toast which contains and is usually fortifiied also with B12. Also, if you get plenty of sunlight on your skin you will not need to worry about vitamin D, otherwise you might want to make sure you're getting adequate vit D in a supplement.

Woa, I hope I havent put you off hah. I can only recommend it though, but as i say, try a vegetarian diet if you havent already, and always try and purcahse organic foods (especially with meat and dairy these days) otherwise your body will be put under more stress. Make sure you stock up on Olive oil and a small range of herbs, add these to every meal you cook up and you will be counting down the mins till next meal time :smile:

-Take care
-Tim

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Rebuild Me [Re: Psyhigh]
    #3568703 - 01/01/05 07:48 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

A lot of people find that swimming is a good way to get a little exercise during the winter. Do you have an indoor pool on campus?

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?

Re: Rebuild Me [Re: shroomydan]
    #3569473 - 01/02/05 12:59 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, but I won't be back on campus for another few weeks.  Not a bad idea, although my current stamina is so low, starting with swimming might not be the most productive idea.  After giving the previous posts some thought (thanks guys!  :thumbup:) I think I'm going to focus on lowering my calorie intake, drinking more water (proper hydration for a change), and doing stationary bike (for cardio/stamina, also to get in shape for riding my actual bike in the spring), and rowing machine for arms/legs/cardio.  I've done the workout thing sporadically before, and I know that if I stop eating junk food and get off my ass for a change, the weight will come off fairly quickly, or at least the excess fat.

I'm not super concerned with toning/shaping, I'd just like to get some energy and basic stregnth back.  It's gotten to the point where I'm getting winded walking up stairwells and just feeling weak and crappy.  I'm pretty sure adding ANY exercise to my daily routine will help in leaps and bounds. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for other basic workout things, like cycling/rowing?  I'm really not a fan of running/stepping, but I'm open to suggestions.

--------------------

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #3570015 - 01/02/05 04:31 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

swimming is one of the best things you can do. Even if you can only start out small, it's a step. You don't have to swim laps for 2 hours like some people do.

Another good machine would be the elliptical runners. They're a very low impact runner like treadmill. If you dont know what I'm talking about, it's not as bad as running on a treadmill and hits 4 major muscle spots in your legs. Very effective.

They may look like this: http://www.legalpointer.com/hgimages/ellip175.gif

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?

Re: Rebuild Me [Re: derx]
    #3570048 - 01/02/05 04:44 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Not sure if we've got those, although I'll certainly check in two weeks when I go back from break.

What kind of swimming would you suggest? I've never really been a big swimmer, certainly not for regular exercise, though I can swim and tread well enough.

--------------------

OfflinePsyhigh
Lost
    #3570123 - 01/02/05 06:38 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Unless you suffer high blood pressure, you might like to try and get your hands on some Siberian Ginseng supplements from a health store as you begin your rebuilding programme, but do research the herb first if so. Ginseng is used to boost energy levels, and in modern times has been taken by olympic competitors to enhance athletic performance and endurance. The Chinese say it brings 'vitality to the lungs' and research has shown that it may allow muscles to use oxygen more efficiently. Basically it just sounds like it could be of help for you as you start your exercising programme, but probabley only best for a month or so before you're bursting with energy from all that exercise and need not take it any more.

-Tim

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?

Re: Rebuild Me [Re: Psyhigh]
    #3571494 - 01/02/05 05:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

How much ginseng would you recommend?  I recently got a bottle of Centrum Performance Multivitamins, which have 50mg of ginseng, as well as a whole lot of other stuff..  here's the link to the label:

http://www.centrumperformance.com/products/labeling.asp

Serving Size 1 Tablet
Each Tablet Contains % DV
Vitamin A 3500 IU (29% as Beta Carotene) 70%
Vitamin C 120 mg 200%
Vitamin D 400 IU 100%
Vitamin E 60 IU 200%
Vitamin K 25 mcg 31%
Thiamin 4.5 mg 300%
Riboflavin 5.1 mg 300%
Niacin 40 mg 200%
Vitamin B6 6 mg 300%
Folic Acid 400 mcg 100%
Vitamin B12 18 mcg 300%
Biotin 40 mcg 13%
Pantothenic Acid 10 mg 100%
Calcium 100 mg 10%
Iron 18 mg 100%
Phosphorus 48 mg 5%
Iodine 150 mcg 100%
Magnesium 40 mg 10%
Zinc 15 mg 100%
Selenium 70 mcg 100%
Copper 2 mg 100%
Manganese 4 mg 200%
Chromium 120 mcg 100%
Molybdenum 75 mcg 100%
Chloride 72 mg 2%
Potassium 80 mg 2%
Ginseng Root (Panax ginseng) 50 mg Standardized Extract *
Ginkgo Biloba Leaf (Ginkgo biloba) 60 mg Standardized Extract *
Boron 60 mcg *
Nickel 5 mcg *
Silicon 4 mg *
Tin 10 mcg *
Vanadium 10 mcg *
*Daily Value (%DV) not established.

Anything important missing?  :confused:

--------------------

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3576265 - 01/03/05 09:02 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

my personall opinion is take everything slow. i find many people get an idea in tehre head, go all for it and then usually stop and/or lose interest in it down the road. if it were me doing the same sorta thing i would jsut be doing things liek walking to the store or class or whatever instead of bus or car. anything under a km or 2 i would walk it.

im sure diets and excercise schedules work great, but for me they never have. i have always jsut needed to do things casual and try not to stress right out about it. just plug away at it like its a fun puzzle your doing with your kid...or that sorta thing.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being