Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleWoodsCall
own it
 User Gallery

Loc: eye of the beerholder
TiT setup w/ thermometer
    #3556741 - 12/29/04 09:48 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I just set up my first TiT last night (my current incubator has proven too small :smile:)  I bought a digital thermometer/hygrometer from Lowe's, kinda like the one that is featured at http://www.mycosupply.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=HUTE01

Mine consists of the main device which I can place in my growing chamber and it reads the temp and humidity in there as TEMP OUT ans HUMIDITY OUT.  From the main device, there is a 10' waterproof probe that can be put into my TiT and reads as TEMP IN.  REALLY QUITE CONVENIENT!!! Has a memory setting to record the highest and lowest temps and humidity and a clock as well.  Only $20!

I know this sounds confusing:
I am placing the probe on the inside of the inner tub (which is 31 gallons).  Question is, do I put the probe on the side wall or on the bottom of the tub? 
Also, should I layer the bottom of my tub with a towel my jars don't absorb too much heat?  If I put a towel on the bottom then I assume I need to put the probe on the wall??

Thanks  :smirk:

--------------------
Live free or die.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: TiT setup w/ thermometer [Re: WoodsCall]
    #3556754 - 12/29/04 09:53 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Using a water pump will help move water i.e, temps will stay in a nice range all around...so your theromstat can go whereever....However..if you tub is placed somewhere really cool...then a pump wont do you any good...b/c the water will be too cold and move to fast to allow the heating element to heat the water...so if u have a big tub...get antoher heater and bolt them down on the bottom...and you shouldn't need a towel but it shouldn't hurt to be cautious...Gl...and TiT's are the shit!
wbs colonized in about 13 days.... :smile: It has rhizomorphs Everywhere...its agressive but optimal conditions played a part somewhere :smile: :thumbup:

InvisibleWoodsCall
own it
 User Gallery

Loc: eye of the beerholder
Re: TiT setup w/ thermometer [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3556769 - 12/29/04 09:59 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not going to bother with a water pump, but thanks tho :smile:  I bought a 100 W aquarium heater and attached to the bottom by it's suction cups and some electrical tape around the cups to help hold them down. there is about 2.5 inches of water in the bottom tub and about an inch of air space...so I dunno if a 100 W heater is ok for that volume of water in a 31 gallon tub???  well i guess i'll wait a day and see.  if not i'll just buy another heater.

--------------------
Live free or die.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3556802 - 12/29/04 10:08 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds like a plan, well, gl

Offlinedistortion
 User Gallery
Loc: Murder Mitten Flag
    #3556827 - 12/29/04 10:17 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

WoodsCall said:
Question is, do I put the probe on the side wall or on the bottom of the tub?

Good question, I'm interested in knowing this also. Anyone?

--------------------
Think for Yourself. Question Authority.

-Timothy Leary

Offlinewillchair
Stranger
Re: TiT setup w/ thermometer [Re: distortion]
    #3556974 - 12/29/04 10:50 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

from the incubator teks i saw, most of them had the probe on the bottom of the tub, centered (as to evenly distribute heat in the water). thats where i put mine, and it does the job. =)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: TiT setup w/ thermometer [Re: willchair]
    #3557279 - 12/29/04 12:33 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

THe probe has nothing to do with dispersing heat, the probe just reads the temperatures....hotter is worse for jars then cooler (more dangerous to myc and spores) so I put my probes at the hottest part of the tub, the bottom center, right above the heater. Generally even on the side near the top its the same as the center bottom but just in case..

Also towels or any sort of cloth like material in your incubator can be a place for contams to harbor. You could probably use one without negative results but just something to think about if you end up getting alot of contams in the colonization stage..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinetheknighterrant
errant knight
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere in western cana...
Re: TiT setup w/ thermometer [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3557371 - 12/29/04 12:54 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

why not put the probe in the second tub where the jars are? wouldn't that give you a better idea as to the temperature that the jars are at?

tke

--------------------
The oldest and strongest emotion of man is fear. The oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
--H.P. Lovecraft

Demented Piper Press

Offlinedistortion
 User Gallery
Loc: Murder Mitten Flag
Re: TiT setup w/ thermometer [Re: theknighterrant]
    #3557411 - 12/29/04 01:04 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

they are talking about the inside tub with the jars, I don't think it'd be a good idea to submerse those probes in water.

--------------------
Think for Yourself. Question Authority.

-Timothy Leary

Edited by distortion (12/29/04 01:06 PM)

Offlinetheknighterrant
errant knight
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere in western cana...
    #3557417 - 12/29/04 01:07 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

whoops, my bad.

tke

--------------------
The oldest and strongest emotion of man is fear. The oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
--H.P. Lovecraft

Demented Piper Press

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3557453 - 12/29/04 01:21 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

distortion said:
they are talking about the inside tub with the jars, I don't think it'd be a good idea to submerse those probes in water.

Why not? Where do you think those probes are MEANT to go..they're meant for aquariums...but most aquarium heater heat the water around the heater until its warm enough then turns off so wide tanks would have a cooler side if you didnt have a remote probe to put farther from the heater causing the heater to heat ALL of the water to that temp..not just the water directly surrounding the heater.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineChrisHippyLoser
Dope Smoker

Loc: Big Tex
Re: TiT setup w/ thermometer [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3558675 - 12/29/04 07:13 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I thkn he meant the temp probe from lowe's...no that shouldn't go directly into water, that would ruin it...unless of course you're talking about an actual aquarim temp probe, but i'm not very familiar with those...

i've got a fairly simple tit rig...and i bought my tubs at different times, so they ended up not being quite the right sizes to match each other....

i've got one large tub, about 3' long, 18" wide and 18" tall....i've got about 8 or 10" of water in this tub with a 50W aquarium heater mounted by suction cups on the side just under half way up the water level...so the top layer of water is warm, but the bottom half is cold....the temp has stabilized, but still fluctuates some...i'm reading 84.1F right now...it fluctuates about 3 degrees +/-

Then I've got a smaller tub that sits in the large tub...the bottom of the top tub actually touches the water in the very center and hovers above the water about 1/2 inch at the edges....so the incubating tub is not actually surrounded by heated water, it just hangs above it...but it seems to work ok for now (my first real attempt, next time i'll build a better rig)....i've covered the whole thing with a couple of blankets to help insulate and keep it in dark inside

my thermometer is digital with a probe, much like the one that was described in the post, but mine has no humidity gauge (i shoulda spent the extra couple of bucks..oh well)...i put the temp probe in the center of the jar cluster at about 1/2 way up the height of the jar...

i lysoled down the incu-chamber very well and sprayed in some air sanitizer and put the top on and let it sit to heat up before i innoc'd the jars and placed them in.

its day 5 since i innoc'd the jars and 12 of 12 or showing good growth...i shook up the syring well before inocc'ing but i don't think i did at all inbetween jars....i did however heat the needle and wrap in alcohol soaked paper towel every 4 jars...

i'm a total noob...i'm still very experimental...but from reading and the little experience i have i'll say this...its difficult for this to be an exact science...most of us aren't lab experts and can't create meticulously controlled environments...

but i dunno that this needs to be an exact science...mushies grow naturally in fields on cow shit...so just be reasonable and get yourself within the specified ranges and things should work out okay so long as you don't do anything extremely dumb...i mean...don't sneeze on your needle or hock a lugy on your casings...wash your hands, use a breath mask of some sort (i just wrapped a towel around half my head), lysol, lysol, lysol and air sanitizer the shit outta your innoc area...i just did it right in my bedroom next to my incu-chamber...with the doors closed and the ceiling fan turned off....

once us noobs have got the basics down and have successfully fruited a few batches then we can move on to bigger and better setups...

peace...and good luck!! i sincerely hope it works out well for everyone, my shit is lookin good so far and i'm damned amazed...i had only hoped for 50% success...and so far i've got 100 (cross fingers here...)

Edited by ChrisHippyLoser (12/29/04 07:15 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies