Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineInnernaut
MycologicalNetworkTechnician

Colonized Straw - Getting rid of Trich. HELP!
    #3554374 - 12/28/04 10:18 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

A foaf has begun experimentation with straw + millet.  The straw was pasturized, then overloaded with colonized millet.  The straw colonized within 5 days and looks absolutely beautiful.  Last night he went to check on it and noticed a small patch that had been contamed with the bastards from hell... trich.  Only a very small patch was touched and the amount of trich was about half the size of a pencil eraser.  He sterilized a knife, cut out the area and then filled the hole with a layer of salt to hopefully halt the spread of the demons.  Upon checking the stray today the situation hasn't improved.  :frown:  Now there are several other spots with small speks of trich on them.  Is this entire batch of straw doomed or is there something that could be done to save it?  I was thinking a dunk of 10% h202 + distilled water.  Would this kill the trich and allow the straw to heal?  Anyone have any experience with this?  I mean, my friend would be greatly disappointed if this gargantuan brick of 100% colonized straw was doomed... HELP!

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Colonized Straw - Getting rid of Trich. HELP! [Re: Innernaut]
    #3554446 - 12/28/04 10:37 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I'm going thur this also.Have an 18gal tub.Cut out a 1/4 of it.Got lucky the green was only on the top.So far no signs Of coming back.

Try to cut again.cut out more than you think you need.Also be careful not to spred spores or your dead forsure.

GL

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Colonized Straw - Getting rid of Trich. HELP! [Re: Innernaut]
    #3554516 - 12/28/04 10:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

the best way to get rid of it is to toss it out, trich as a hard one to kill and leave things fruitable

Offlinedjred

Re: Colonized Straw - Getting rid of Trich. HELP! [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3554530 - 12/28/04 11:00 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

pitch it dude..or try to play doctor and cure it...whats it going to hurt..i'm in no means saying what to do,just if it'[s contamed then whats the harm..

don't feel to bad i threw out 2 casings caus eof cobweb that i could have killed with h202..so i know better this time around

Edited by djred (12/28/04 11:00 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Colonized Straw - Getting rid of Trich. HELP! [Re: djred]
    #3555137 - 12/29/04 01:02 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Is it doomed?
Yes
Sorry...

The hurt that could be caused in keeping a contamed thing around is contaming your house..the more spores in your house the more chance you have at failing in future grows. Its not safe to keep around contaminated things to play with..not to mention the harm the spores can do to you and your respitory system..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Colonized Straw - Getting rid of Trich. HELP! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3555626 - 12/29/04 03:23 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

^^Truth^^ :mad2:

Life is a lesson... better luck next time. :wink:

--------------------

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
Re: Colonized Straw - Getting rid of Trich. HELP! [Re: agar]
    #3556438 - 12/29/04 09:33 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

yeah trich is a bitch... you only see a small speck of green on top, but the reality is it's probably widespread throughout your whole tray. The green stuff is actually conidia (spores) and once you see that it's already too late. The actual contamination is much much bigger. Toss it and clean up like crazy. Run a HEPA, use chemicals on surfaces, etc etc... Pay attention to exposed wood surfaces especially. Apparently wood is a big time carrier of this stuff. I blame my closet door for a trichoderma infection i had on my first casings. Easier than blaming myself, even though it was probably my fault anyhow.

As far as health risks, there are some but it isn't serious. It'll irritate your lungs & sinuses but it's considered mostly non-pathenogenic. Serious/fatal cases have happened in the past, but it's very rare. It really only affects people with weakened immune systems. Like somebody who just had an organ transplant or something. If trich conidia made everyone who was exposed to them sick, then we'd all be sick because that stuff is literally everywhere. Still... not everybody is exposed to a colony of it so be careful. Also, you could have potentially identified this as trich when it could be something else like penicillium or aspergillus, which could pose a much more significant health risk.

when in doubt, throw it out.

edit: added some info

--------------------
------
this is a signature

Edited by gsmith (12/29/04 01:00 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation