Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Celeron questions
    #3544379 - 12/26/04 04:24 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I am thinking of helping a relative buy a computer. They are not power users(they will not be playing Doom 3 or other games that take up lots of computer resources). So, I was thinking of suggesting a cheaper Intel Celeron system(the processor is at 2.93 Ghz) for 399.99(after mail-in rebate...but it does not include a monitor). It sounds like a pretty good deal.

Here's the thing...as I have known it, Celerons are processors with no cache Ram. This will undoubtedly slow things down in comparison to processors with cache Ram. How slow are Celerons? Are they junk? I have only ever had Pentium processors with onboard cache, so I have never experienced a Celeron.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Celeron questions [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3544413 - 12/26/04 04:35 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Every person I have dealt with who has purchased a Celeron has been unhappy with their purchase. And although I haven't dealt with Celeron's newer than say 6 months ago there was always a noticeable difference between them and their Pentium counterparts in terms of speed.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

InvisibleBitterPill
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Celeron questions [Re: cb9fl]
    #3544544 - 12/26/04 05:41 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I owned a few celerons in the 90s and they were reliable but slow (mostly because they had slow processors to begin with). It sounds like your relative isn't too discriminating in terms of performance, so 2.93Ghz is probably going to make them happy no matter where the cache is.

What will they be using it for? If the answer is anything short of professional video editing or the latest games, then a 2.93 celeron is more than enough.

-BP

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Celeron questions [Re: BitterPill]
    #3544625 - 12/26/04 06:17 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

They are grandparents and will mostly be surfing the internet. However, the kids will probably install all of that shit that makes a computer go slow(AIM, Instant Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, etc...). They might occasionally get a game to put on it, but any games they get will not be hardcore(I don't see them getting Half Life 2 or anything like that).

InvisibleBitterPill
 User Gallery

#3544642 - 12/26/04 06:25 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Dude that's fine. When the kids decide they want Doom 3, just pop in a decent video card and you're good to go. I can play it on my buddy's AMD 1.6GHz and it works without problems.

:thumbup:

OfflineKenny7822
Kenny
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: MA, USA
    #3544665 - 12/26/04 06:33 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

You should get this computer:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1076873&CatId=940

I got it for Christmas and it works great and it's cheap too.

Offlinecb9fl
Re: Celeron questions [Re: Kenny7822]
    #3544760 - 12/26/04 07:09 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

eMachines rocks the show ever since they got a new CEO. They used to be the biggest pile of shit this side of Packerd Bell but the newer ones are pretty solid.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #3544787 - 12/26/04 07:20 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

No Celerons DO have L2 cache on-die...just a lot less than your standard Pentium CPU.

The Celeron chips used to really suck because they had hardly ANY L2 cache at all (first ones might not have had any) but over the past few years they've started adding more and more L2 cache to the celeron line.

If the person(s) who are getting the computer are just going to use it to surf the net and maybe play card games...a celeron is perfectly fine. If they want to play any real 3D games, do any video/audio editing, or any other "power user" type stuff, then stay away from a celeron.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Celeron questions *DELETED* [Re: trendal]
    #3544888 - 12/26/04 07:48 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

OfflineKenny7822
Kenny
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: MA, USA
Re: Celeron questions [Re: poke smot!]
    #3544921 - 12/26/04 07:57 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I don't play any 3D games on my computer or edit video or anything like that so my e-machine works fine for me. The most I do is download and burn DVDs and CDs. I have an external dvd burner for that. I can't complain about my e-machine, it works great, at least for what I do with it.

InvisibleBitterPill
 User Gallery

Re: Celeron questions [Re: Kenny7822]
    #3544950 - 12/26/04 08:05 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

The fact is, any brand new PC is going to fit randal's needs. A normal computer user would have to be hard pressed to find a desktop at Best Buy or Circuit City that is not fast enough for internet, most games, and work related processing. In the old days, one really had to stay on top of things because every 10MHz made a pronounced improvement, that's no longer the case. Yes, even an eMachines PC will play Doom3 and edit video pretty well with just a few upgrades (RAM, Video Card).

Thanks for the correction regarding the cache in Celeron PC's.

Get it, your grands will love it. Just make sure it has a warranty.

-BP

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Celeron questions [Re: cb9fl]
    #3546268 - 12/27/04 01:39 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

cb9fl said:
Every person I have dealt with who has purchased a Celeron has been unhappy with their purchase. And although I haven't dealt with Celeron's newer than say 6 months ago there was always a noticeable difference between them and their Pentium counterparts in terms of speed.

I know people that have enjoyed the use of celeron for simply using buisness apps; including myself

they are cheap, and if you don't give a shit about editing in photoshop while burning a DVD and playing halflife2, you'll be fine

--------------------

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Celeron questions [Re: blink]
    #3547369 - 12/27/04 10:20 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

buy a cheap amd based system for the same price, amd architecture doesnt' suffer as badly as intels when it comes to low cache. You s hould be able to find a comparable sempron system for the same exact price.

Offlinecb9fl
Re: Celeron questions [Re: blink]
    #3547869 - 12/27/04 01:39 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

they are cheap, and if you don't give a shit about editing in photoshop while burning a DVD and playing halflife2, you'll be fine

Like I said, I have not used a Celeron produced within the last six months. All the ones I used before that were noticeably slower in business use. Perhaps not for Word or Excel but most definetly for Outlook, Powerpoint and especially Publisher.

As with all things in life you get what you pay for. If a Celeron fits your needs than by all means same money on the computer and by a few extra syringes.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Celeron questions [Re: Ramlaen]
    #3548316 - 12/27/04 03:56 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Staples has that deal for 399.99(after mail-in rebate) for both a Celeron and an AMD Sempron system. Which do you think would be the better buy? Does the Sempron really handle lower cache better than the Celeron?

InvisibleBitterPill
 User Gallery

#3548388 - 12/27/04 04:19 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
Staples has that deal for 399.99(after mail-in rebate) for both a Celeron and an AMD Sempron system. Which do you think would be the better buy? Does the Sempron really handle lower cache better than the Celeron?

Yep, an AMD that is advertised at the same processor speed will feel faster. In addition, they are easier to overclock but more suceptible to heat damage.

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

#3551925 - 12/28/04 10:25 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

rofl they are easier to overclock but more suceptible to heat damage

WRONG, amds eat heat 10x better than intels, hands down

Buy the amd you'll never regret it. I build cellys and semprons all day at work the semprons are just a smoother riding computer

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

#3551929 - 12/28/04 10:28 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=352843

that link will explain cache, i'll see if i can find more detailed info on cache on amd vs intel systems

InvisibleBitterPill
 User Gallery

#3552715 - 12/28/04 04:03 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ramlaen said:
rofl they are easier to overclock but more suceptible to heat damage

WRONG, amds eat heat 10x better than intels, hands down

Buy the amd you'll never regret it. I build cellys and semprons all day at work the semprons are just a smoother riding computer

Intel's top temp is around 60degrees C. There is a special thing in the proc that will cut it at 50 C so it doesnt overheat. You have to enable that in bios though. AMDs run a tad bit hotter but i still wouldnt want it over 60 C. AMDs will just continue to heat up and will eventually melt themselves (i've witnessed smoke rising from PCs because of this), so if you're monitoring temps or trying to run without a heatsink, max temp of 50C to prevent harm to the chip. IMHO

Randal - I would still recommend the Sempron over the Celeron, as (in the hands of younger kids and grandparents) the heat issue will not likely cause much trouble in either system.

-BP

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

#3552866 - 12/28/04 04:29 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

trying to run without a heatsink, this is impossible, no processor will run without a heatsink besides a p1.

processors don't melt they will burn up, and overall intel's prescotts run much hotter than amds chips (xps,semprons,winchesters)

Amds are known for handling more voltage overall, were as intels cannot handle such voltage increases because they will fry.

The special thing you are talking about is called thermal throttling and most modern day processors amd/intel both come equipped with it.

AMDs run a tad bit hotter but i still wouldnt want it over 60 C. AMDs will just continue to heat up and will eventually melt themselves (i've witnessed smoke rising from PCs because of this

This is completely false, any processor installed with correct paste and heatsink this will not happen to. Now if someone misinstalled a processors and paste this could occur on either of the chips. Also most modern day motherboards allow you to set a shutdown temp.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Science and Technology