Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

Mandrake 7.2 question
    #2325645 - 02/11/04 10:06 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Im picking up a Linux Mandrake 7.2 'boxed set' pretty soon and i was wonder about a few things......

Linux is totally new to me.....but im quite anxious to try it out.....seems to be a viable alternative to the crappy windows ops im using now.......

anyway... so i get my cds and install.....should(can?) i upgrade to the 9.2(newest?)version? ....as i understand it, i should be able to download the part(s?) i need to upgrade....right? would i d/l the ISO file(s?) for it? or should i just pick up the version 9.2 cds?

im gonna go search around on google for some info.....but thought i would see what you folks have to say about it  :eyemouth:

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLanaM
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: Mandrake 7.2 question [Re: DazedSol]
    #2325986 - 02/12/04 09:14 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm a newbie when it comes to Linux too. I'm partial to Red Hat though..

Anyway, if you're going to install the OS yourself, you might as well just download the newest version (d/l the newest ISO) and install.

I don't think that there would be much of a difference between installing 7.2 to 9.2. If anything its a little easier to install 9.2?

Good Luck,
Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

OfflineT0aD
Stranger

Re: Mandrake 7.2 question [Re: Lana]
    #2326596 - 02/12/04 01:47 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yeah, Id advise you to download 9.2

--------------------
Cuba Libre

Offlinenife
I'm Dead
Male
    #2326742 - 02/12/04 02:27 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

7.2 for mandrake is signifigantly old enough that downloading the new Iso's would be more then worth your time. Linux and programs that run on the GNU/Linux kernel are updated frequently. Having the latest stable versions of everything that you are going to be running will help cut down on problems.

I am pretty good at linux(thats what I'm writing this post on) and would be more then happy to help with you or anyone's problems. Basically I love Linux. It's stable and free, with no corporations telling you how to use what you have paid for. So I want to help anyone who wants to use it. I'm just an intermediate user, I'm not an expert yt. But I have been doing this a little whie.

--------------------
Protect Your Rights
Freedom Card

InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

#2327319 - 02/12/04 04:38 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the replies :smile:

I mailed in my $4.00 for the 7.2 set this morning(won on ebay)......and in the meantime i think im going to download 9.2....

I plan on wiping the hard drive on my gateway desktop computer(933Mgh processor)and installing on that....

even if i dont end up using the v.7.2, the basics of it should be the same as 9.2 right? so at least i'll have some hardcopy manuals and such to look over......

would it be a complex process to download and make install discs for 9.2? anyone have any experience with doing that?

thanks guys  :bong:

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

Edited by DazedSol (02/12/04 04:40 PM)

Offlinenife
I'm Dead
Male
    #2327421 - 02/12/04 05:02 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

You donload the iso its as easy as just burning any Iso and rebooting and then following instructions.

Just a peice of advice. Get used to using the web for instructions. The linux world is truly dynamic. Things change fast. the web and Irc are you best friends in getting how to and instructions.

http://www.tldp.org
the Linux Documentation Project.
( Some of its stuff is kinda old, but others are great. )

--------------------
Protect Your Rights
Freedom Card

InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

Re: Mandrake 7.2 question [Re: nife]
    #2327685 - 02/12/04 06:12 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

when i go to wipe my hard drive, i will be wiping everything....leaving just the bios, right?

or am still supposed to keep a version of dos?

i cant seem to find a straight answer to this in any of the install guides online.....

the way i understand this as of now.....is that i will clean my hard drive.....then put the boot disk in with DrakX, then i should be able to follow drakx through setup....right?

so what exactly do i need to download? and do i simply just burn all these files on one cd-rom? or do i have to make a seperate disk or cd for the initial boot(this 1st boot is just drakx?)

right now im reading on madrakelinux.com ....in the downloads there is 7 files for 9.2... i dont need all of them to get going?

hehe sorry if these questions seem a little basic, just want to make sure i get all this before i make the big switch
:blush:

also, know any good sites for the mandrake newb? maybe something with a step-by-step startup on a wiped clean machine :tongue2:

thanks for the help

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

Offlinenife
I'm Dead
Male
    #2327946 - 02/12/04 07:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

You will be wiping everything off of your hard drive. there will be nothing left. Though You probably do no need to do this before you install. Most installlation disks for GNU/Linux will walk you though the repartitioning and re-formating of a disk drive.

You need to download the Iso images. I'm not real farmiliar with mandrake as a distro so I'm not sure exactly what image to download, but I'm pretty sure its well labeled.
Then you durn these ISO images onto CDR's and reboot the computer. You burn one Iso per CDR. You may not need all the Iso's I'm not sure. At most I see 4 Iso's that you would need to burn. I haven't used Mandrae in a looong time, so i'm not sure.

What comes up after that varies with what distrobution you are using, but it will probably walk you through the whole install process.

http://doc.mandrakelinux.com/MandrakeLinux/92/en/Starter.html/install.html

That seems like a decent install guide for Mandrake.

--------------------
Protect Your Rights
Freedom Card

Offlineddaedalus
poser

Loc: Canadia
    #2328680 - 02/12/04 11:37 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

or am still supposed to keep a version of dos?

Are you referring to windows as well? The reason I ask is because it would be worthwhile to look into an older version (7.2 for example) if you are running on an oooold machine.

As far a iso's are concerned. Save them to your hard drive and burn them with software capable of burning image files, (nero express for example, which can be downloaded for free.) Its also a good idea to run a checksum (md5) to make sure that the files are intact. The first time I installed linux, I wasted days trying to figure out a problem that was caused by corrupt data. Not fun. Good luck. You will be happier in the end.

InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

#2331271 - 02/13/04 04:09 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

awsome!

thanks for the help guys.....all this is starting to make sense now :smile:

tomarrow im going to burn the newest ISO files for 9.2 and make a flopy boot disk....

any idea if i will have any problems:
A)running photoshop
and
B)using my belkin wireless network card??

also i take it my Micro$oft Visual Studio Suite(VB,C++,etc)wont work with linux?

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

InvisibleMarioNett
Stranger
    #2333112 - 02/14/04 01:48 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Photoshop and many MS products (but MS coding programs in Linux? That's a new one on me) will run under emulators such as Wine. I don't really know the specifics of that, but you can google for help. If you're not doing really advanced image editing, you can get by with Gimp instead of photoshop. Gimp certainly comes with Mandrake and probably will install by default.

As for your net card, it's very likely that Mandrake will have a driver for it right on the installation CD. A well-known brand like Belkin isn't going to go unsupported.

Offlinemanuscript
Re: Mandrake 7.2 question [Re: MarioNett]
    #2335616 - 02/14/04 10:37 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

gimp-2.0_pre is almost as good as photoshop especially considering the price.

Mandrake will be nice to get a feel for linux, but you're not really going to learn much by using it..........

www.distrowatch.com

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology