Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

I cant wait for the day when...
    #3485751 - 12/12/04 10:45 AM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Every book ever written is available to read online. When you can search them all like google can search the internet.

Will this ever happen? Do you think it should? Why or why not.

My philosophy is that information should be readily available to everyone, that it is everyones property no matter who wrote it down first. Having to buy a book or check it out, then read it to find out if you think it has any good information in it is too time consuming with so many books out there. I even think that people would buy more books if they could see the book before they bought it. Reading it on a computer screen isnt that great, and printing it out wouldn't be cost effective and still wouldnt leave you with a nice bound book.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: I cant wait for the day when... [Re: fresh313]
    #3486223 - 12/12/04 12:49 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

One can only hope. I remember thinking this ten years ago when I first started using the Internet. Back then the Internet was going to be a digital library of free information. The Information Superhighway they called it. But nobody dares call it that anymore. Now it's an advertising circus, a desperate plea for money in return for any and all things, the inevitable butt of a cruel capitalist joke. The Internet has become an information whore. She'll tell you something if you have the right amount of cash on you.

I'm also a believer in "information shall be free." There are actually many many books available online, not all of them ever written, but a lot of new books are being released simultaneously in digital format. If you can't afford to buy them, there are other ways to get them for free...

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
    #3486231 - 12/12/04 12:51 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I think it should be practised by those who write the books.

I certainly think that authors should be able to charge for thier books as long as we are living in the society that exists.

As for dead authors, fuck em, publish their books.

I have noticed alot more authors consenting to books being put out online...maybe they should write some sort of contract stating when they are dead, or after a certain amount of time, books should be made free for all.

:shrug: its a good idea, but cash rules everything around me ;]

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: I cant wait for the day when... [Re: tak]
    #3486273 - 12/12/04 01:03 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

I agree, as long as an author is alive he needs some way to live off of his books, so publishing them for free is rather unfeasible. However, once they're dead, all their books should be free to read on the internet, and the money from the books people buy in paper can continue to go to their family, as not everyone likes reading on a computer screen anyway

Edited by Ravus (12/12/04 01:22 PM)

OfflineKenny7822
Kenny
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: MA, USA
    #3486304 - 12/12/04 01:09 PM (19 years, 3 months ago)

Information should be free, in order to better educate the public we should make information more readily available and at no cost. Therefore I agree that books should be available online for free.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder