Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Canada says, "Boo U.S.A.!"
    #3477792 - 12/10/04 07:39 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Liberals to introduce same-sex marriage bill in January
Last Updated Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:31:45 EST

OTTAWA - The Liberal government will introduce legislation to legalize same-sex marriage when Parliament resumes sitting in January, Prime Minister Paul Martin said Thursday.

In an opinion released earlier in the day, nine Supreme Court judges asked to review draft legislation extending marriage rights to gays and lesbians said such a move would be constitutional.

Paul Martin

That legal opinion clears the way for the Liberal government to introduce a bill early in the new year.

Liberal MPs will be free to vote their conscience on the bill, but cabinet ministers will be required to vote in favour of it, said Martin.

The prime minister urged members of all parties to carefully consider the issue before voting, saying the proposed legislation will ensure the "equal treatment of all Canadians."

He acknowledged the issue is divisive, but said Canadians can handle the debate.

"I think this will engender a debate across the country," said Martin. "We are a very mature nation and can undertake the debate."

Canada is the "world's most post-modern country" and can take the lead in this issue, he said.

Martin's Liberal minority government holds 134 of the 308 seats in the House of Commons, but should have the support of most of the 19 New Democrat MPs and 54 Bloc Qu?b?cois MPs.

Justice Minister Irwin Cotler says he expects a "significant majority" of members will support the bill because it backs two key points of the Charter, equality rights and freedom of religion.

As part of Thursday's decision, the court said religious groups opposed to same-sex marriages won't be compelled to perform them.

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper, who called the court's opinion a "victory for Canadian democracy," says he's pleased the court "punted this issue back to Parliament."

Harper said the Supreme Court supports his party's policy because it also declined to express an opinion on whether the traditional definition of marriage is unconstitutional.

The Conservative leader says he'd like the government to introduce a compromise bill to Parliament that would preserve the traditional definition of marriage in law and include stronger protections of religious freedoms.

Can't use notwithstanding clause, Alberta Justice Minister says
Irwin Cotler

Alberta's Justice Minister said his government, which opposes same sex marriage, will have to weigh its options in the wake of the ruling. But Ron Stevens said they need to be realistic, adding that the decision has restricted their ability to defend marriage.

Stevens said the government does not have the option of imposing the Constitution's notwithstanding clause.

"Since the court ruled the authority over same-sex marriage falls to the federal government, it is only the federal government who can invoke the notwithstanding clause to maintain the traditional definition of marriage."

He said the Alberta Tory caucus must now meet to discuss the province's next move.

"There are legal options, but I'm going to share them with my colleagues first. I'm not going to stand here today and talk about what-ifs," he said.

Stevens said his government's position is not aimed at discriminating against gays and lesbians, but "upholding the definition of marriage as it is traditionally understood by society."

Four years ago, Alberta passed a law stating marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Stevens said despite the Supreme Court ruling that law stands and marriage licences will not be granted to same-sex couples.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/12/09/martin-samesex041209.html

As a sidenote, the only two countries to legalize gay marriage so far are Belgium and the Netherlands. Canada seems to be becoming more like them

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelilbil
republican hippy(only one)

Loc: Montana, usa
Re: Canada says, "Boo U.S.A.!" [Re: Ravus]
    #3478517 - 12/10/04 09:52 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

just cus 51 % of our country doesnt konw better, doesnt mean we suck, there are like a million things fuck up with canada, but one really cool thing came out of canada HOCKEY, soo its cool,

--------------------
----------------------------------------------

if ignorance is bliss, then sadly my mom and dad are very happy......

OfflineMounsteen
Stranger

Loc: Manitoba, Canadia
Re: Canada says, "Boo U.S.A.!" [Re: lilbil]
    #3480353 - 12/11/04 03:58 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Don't even start bashing Canada you silly yank! lol all jokes, but don't go there. =/

--------------------
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, sex, violence and insanity - but chrissakes, they've always worked for me!"

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Canada says, "Boo U.S.A.!" [Re: Mounsteen]
    #3483621 - 12/11/04 10:44 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

we didn't bash the US, we bash your administration.

and we hate Paul Martin too... the guy is a fucking fuck.
but Dalton McGuinty is worse.

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Canada says, "Boo U.S.A.!" [Re: blink]
    #3483846 - 12/11/04 11:16 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It is so "hip" and "fresh" to boo the U.S whenever someone feels fit. Whatever makes the canadians feel like euro-trash is fine by me.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

Re: Canada says, "Boo U.S.A.!" [Re: looner2]
    #3487297 - 12/12/04 07:45 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I was thinking of coming up to Canada to do some terrorism and then get the Muslims blamed for it just for the fun of it.

Offlineazurescens
Re: Canada says, "Boo U.S.A.!" [Re: Ravus]
    #3487577 - 12/12/04 08:52 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Canada is just another state that BELONGS to the US. Without the US to protect it, Canada goes bye bye very quick. Be grateful that you are geographically fortunate to be located in such close proximity to the US. The US is very imperfect but is still THE BEST COUNTRY in the world. Of course these are my opinions and I welcome all others.

OfflineMounsteen
Stranger

Loc: Manitoba, Canadia
Re: Canada says, "Boo U.S.A.!" [Re: azurescens]
    #3491191 - 12/13/04 02:52 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Pff far from it

--------------------
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, sex, violence and insanity - but chrissakes, they've always worked for me!"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion