Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Canada's Liberal Goverment may fall next month.
    #4049644 - 04/13/05 11:14 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000082&sid=a8mY3daxP2l0&refer=canada

Canada's Liberal Government May Fall Next Month on Probe
April 12 (Bloomberg) -- Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin's minority government may fall as early as next month as an escalating corruption scandal emboldens opposition parties and erodes government support, analysts and pollsters said.

The opposition Conservative and Bloc Quebecois parties may capitalize on a funding probe in Quebec by holding a non- confidence vote, toppling the 10-month-old Liberal government and forcing federal elections. Conservative leader Stephen Harper may push for a non-confidence vote next month, or wait until September, analysts said.

``The Liberals are being savaged,'' said John Wright, a pollster at Ipsos-Reid. ``If they smell it in the air and they feel it on the ground, the (Conservatives) are going to go. Their political instincts will tell them to go sooner rather than later.''

A Conservative election victory may produce the most divided parliament in 25 years, split along regional lines. Harper's party is strong in Western Canada and may make gains in Ontario but has no deputies from Quebec, where the separatist Bloc Quebecois will be the main beneficiary of voter discontent with the Liberals.

Growing support for separatist parties in the French- speaking province raises the specter of another referendum on secession that could leave the Conservatives defending Canadian unity in a province where they have no seats.

The Canadian dollar has lost 1.9 percent against the U.S. dollar in five days, the world's third-worst performer over the period, in part over investor concern about the outcome of the next election.

Chatter

``There is increasing chatter of an election in the very, very near term, and it gets the markets all the more nervous that there is a Quebec backdrop to the whole story,'' said Marc Levesque, chief currency strategist in Toronto for TD Securities. ``This whole scandal can breathe new life into the sovereigntist movement in Quebec.''

The opposition leaders haven't said when they plan to force the non-confidence vote, although it's just a matter of time, said analysts such as Wright, senior vice-president of Ipsos- Reid.

Harper said today he doesn't need to wait for the final report from the Gomery commission on the Quebec funding program before holding an election. Scott Reid, spokesman for Martin, said parliament should wait for the inquiry to complete its work before dissolving.

Gomery is expected to finish hearing testimony next month, and to complete his report in November. Harper, whose party holds the second-most seats in the House of Commons, said he wouldn't support a non-confidence vote from the Bloc Quebecois if it were presented this week.

``I will not allow the separatists to decide the date of the next election campaign,'' Harper said in a speech to real estate executives in Ottawa today, Canadian Press reported.

Testimony

Liberal support has plummeted since Quebec advertising executive Jean Brault testified at a public inquiry last week that he paid more than C$1.2 million ($970,000) in kickbacks to the Liberal party to win government contracts in Quebec.

Liberal support has dropped seven percentage points among decided voters in a week to 27 percent, according to an Ipsos- Reid poll published by the Globe and Mail today. Conservative support was unchanged at 30 percent, according to the poll, which has a margin of error of 3.1 percentage points.

The Liberals would receive 25 percent of the national vote compared with 36 percent for the Conservatives, a separate poll from EKOS Research Associates found. The Liberals won a minority government in the election last June with 37 percent of the popular vote.

``If I was calling it, I would do it now,'' said Richard Anderson, a former senior adviser to Preston Manning, Canada's opposition leader between 1997 and 2000. ``I'm going to bet that Harper is more likely to do it in the fall than in the spring.''

Support

The Liberals, the sole party in the House of Commons with seats in every one of the 10 provinces, lost their majority in elections last year following revelations that a federal government marketing program paid C$100 million in commissions to companies that did little or no work between 1997 and 2001. The sponsorship program was aimed at promoting national unity and to curb support for Quebec separatists.

Brault was the first advertising executive implicated in the scandal to allege payoffs were made to the Liberals. The testimony was filled with detailed accounts of clandestine meetings, envelopes of cash changing hands and fake invoices to conceal the source of funding.

The Conservatives are hoping fallout from the scandal will help them win more seats in Ontario, the most populous province. The Liberals won almost three-quarters of the Ontario seats in the last election. The EKOS Research poll found the Conservatives now have 40 percent of support in Ontario, compared with 33 percent for the Liberals.

``Ontario will be very much the battleground in the next election because you don't see much change happening in the electoral fortunes of the parties in other parts of the country,'' said Paul Thomas, professor of political science at the University of Manitoba.

Backlash

Still, opposition parties run the risk of a voter backlash if they go to the polls less than a year after the last election. The Ipsos-Reid poll found 87 percent of Canadians don't want an election until the Gomery report is finished.

Harper may also want to wait until the fiscal 2006 budget wins passage through the House of Commons in May or June. The budget is the most lavish in two decades, as Martin sought to improve his popularity and win opposition support by boosting spending on hospitals, childcare and cities. The budget also included tax cuts, which are favored by the Conservatives.

``I think (Harper) wants to be prime minister and he can be a lot more easily if he isn't held to blame for calling a needless election,'' said Desmond Morton, a professor of Canadian political history at McGill University. Morton predicted the government would fall in the parliament session that begins in September.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Edited by lonestar2004 (04/13/05 11:15 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Canada's Liberal Goverment may fall next month. [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4049653 - 04/13/05 11:18 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I've been following this and I'm excited to see this corrupt Liberal government finally getting payback.  For some ungodly reason they keep getting voted back into power by the Eastern population of Canada, despite scandal after scandal.  This change has been long overdue.    :thumbup:

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: Canada's Liberal Goverment may fall next month. [Re: Rono]
    #4049734 - 04/13/05 12:06 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

as usual..the neocon twits see the speck in someone elses' eye and miss the log in their own...like the arch-conservative US govt is as pure as driven snow..yeah right :thumbdown:...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4049859 - 04/13/05 12:46 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Sweet jesus, I hope the Conservatives don't get into power!

Looks like I'll be voting NDP again...

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4049940 - 04/13/05 01:12 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Don't get your hopes up. The Chretien government has been as scandal-ridden as any government out there practically from day one yet the dupes who call themselves Canadian voters don't seem to care.

"Scandal? Corruption? Who cares? At least they're not Conservatives."

As for voting NDP... why not just vote Communist and be done with it?

Phred

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Canada's Liberal Goverment may fall next month. [Re: Annapurna1]
    #4049957 - 04/13/05 01:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Gosh, Annapurna, thanks for reminding us that only American politicians of a conservative stripe can be corrupt. We'd completely forgotten that point!

We can always count on our Anna for a timely interjection of common sense.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Re: Canada's Liberal Goverment may fall next month. [Re: Phred]
    #4049992 - 04/13/05 01:26 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Um...you know Cretien isn't the PM anymore, right?

And yeah, I'd rather have the NDP in power than the Conservatives. At least the NDP tend to listen to what CANADIANS want, as opposed to what the American government wants :smirk:

Plus the NDP have made decrim/legalization of marijuana part of their policy.

--------------------

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #4050015 - 04/13/05 01:31 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Canada is a country with Liberal values. Conservatives will never gain power here.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Canada's Liberal Goverment may fall next month. [Re: trendal]
    #4050018 - 04/13/05 01:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, I know that. That doesn't change the fact that it is the same old Liberal Party. New leader, same corrupt bastards pulling the strings. They might as well rename the Liberal Party the "Party of Cronyism". It would be a lot more honest and the dumb Canucks would still vote for them.

You are of course free to vote for your own enslavement and the more rapid economic destruction of Canada by voting NDP. I'm just saying if you're going to vote Commie do it right -- vote for those who at least admit they're Commie.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

#4050040 - 04/13/05 01:37 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

And what does the Conservative party offer?

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

#4050121 - 04/13/05 02:00 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

And the Conservatives are better...why?

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

#4050133 - 04/13/05 02:02 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

And pinky, I know you've got this big beef with Canada and the Canadian government....but why are you always preeching the impending and total economic collapse of Canada?

Honestly man, that comes accross with about as much weight as the nutty-lefties who claim impending economic collapse of the USA.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #4050328 - 04/13/05 02:45 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
Don't get your hopes up. The Chretien government has been as scandal-ridden as any government out there practically from day one yet the dupes who call themselves Canadian voters don't seem to care.

"Scandal? Corruption? Who cares? At least they're not Conservatives."

As for voting NDP... why not just vote Communist and be done with it?

Phred

Ironic considering another country re-elected a corrupt and scandalous administration.

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Re: Canada's Liberal Goverment may fall next month. [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #4050395 - 04/13/05 02:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Many of you are forgetting the Liberal party was re-elected as a minority government. They were still punished for AdScam.

--------------------

Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

Re: Canada's Liberal Goverment may fall next month. [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #4050732 - 04/13/05 04:01 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The_Red_Crayon said:Ironic considering another country re-elected a corrupt and scandalous administration.

well thats not entirely true..I mean it's not like the people of the country really had much of a choice now did they?

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#4051627 - 04/13/05 07:29 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Heh, sounds like Chicago. Its one-party rule here and anything goes. This town is run by criminals but they know no one will ever vote for the alternative so they do as they please. It sounds like the liberal party in Canada just realized what power they really have and all the events unfolding are just a natural progression of that.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Canada's Liberal Goverment may fall next month. [Re: zahudulallah]
    #4051731 - 04/13/05 07:57 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Canada is a country with Liberal values. Conservatives will never gain power here.

More like, desperately-searching-for-an-identity-so-we-adopt-eurotrash-politics kind of values.

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: Canada's Liberal Goverment may fall next month. [Re: zahudulallah]
    #4051737 - 04/13/05 07:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

God, I wish you were right.

But your not.

Those god-damn cheap labour Conservatives are on the doorstep.

They are leading in the polls.

Those crooks know how to steal from the public and keep it legal.

God damn. God damn.

I so much want the Conservatives to be exposed for the fascist, elitist, regressive, war mongering, poverty promoting, anti social bastards that they are.

But it looks like those fucks are gonna win government by spite.

Vote NDP. That is all.

If these Conservatives get in, more of the country's workforce can look forward to earning chump change while their corporate masters rake it in.

We might pull out of Kyoto and pull into Iraq.

We might privatize healthcare and spend the money on Ol' Bushy's missile defence plan.

If you smoke a joint, you might go to jail.

Hopefully, if the Liberals fall the Conservatives will only form minority. Then they won't be able to get any of their shit done.

Fucking idiot Canadians who would punish the Liberals by voting in someone worse.

They don't understand how diabolical and hideous the Conservatves are.

Fucking sinking ship of an electorate.

Good thing I'm rich, otherwise I'd probably be upset.

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Canada's Liberal Goverment may fall next month. [Re: looner2]
    #4051752 - 04/13/05 08:09 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

looner2 said:

More like, desperately-searching-for-an-identity-so-we-adopt-eurotrash-politics kind of values.

Actually, it's often struck me that Canadian politics is sort of a halfway point those of America and Europe.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Cannabis Seeds

General Interest >> Political Discussion