Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Loc: the Moment
no signs of colonization after 3.5 days - what went wrong?
    #3445735 - 12/04/04 02:51 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

could the fact that my pressure cooker never reached 15 psi have anything to do with this? i soaked the rye berries for 24 hours, simmered them for about 40 minutes, then pc'd them for a little less than an hour at 14 psi. i shook them soon after they cooled down, and then let them sit for more than 12 hours. i was at school and work and didn't have time to inoculate them until 12+ hours later. might the delay in inoculation time be a problem? i'm guessing it's a moisture content problem in the jars, no? there's no sign of contamination; there's no sign of anything happening at all for that matter. perhaps the syringes were bunk, but i doubt it. my incubation chamber seems to be maxed at about 82 degrees F--it is in a closet that has no insulation to the outside where the temperatures are in the 30's and 40's lately. i had read that the jars themselves give off some heat while colonizing, however, so i thought that the 82 temp would be okay. i inoculated each jar--five 1 quart jars--with about 1.5-2 cc of spores. i shook em a little but not too much. put the foil back on top. i didn't know that you could get tyvek from the post office so i opted for coffee filters, 2 of them, instead. i layered the jars in the following manner: 2 coffee filters, then the lid with one 3/16" hole and one tiny hole punched in it as per magash, the band, and then 2 squares of foil. i know magash puts his tyvek OVER the lid, and not under, which is something i'm trying now. given everything i've said (i tried to be extra thorough) why am i not seeing any signs of colonization or contamination after 3+ days? i shook them vigorously today when i checked them for the first time, but i'm thinking it's a moot point. thanks.

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
Re: no signs of colonization after 3.5 days - what went wrong? [Re: laughingbuddha]
    #3445750 - 12/04/04 02:56 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Patience. I can take 10 days or more before you see colonization sometimes. Just be patient and don't freak out after only '3.5 days'.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: no signs of colonization after 3.5 days - what went wrong? [Re: laughingbuddha]
    #3445751 - 12/04/04 02:56 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

give em 2 weeks...you'll know for sure by then

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3445760 - 12/04/04 03:00 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

3.5 days from muti/spore innoc...... have PATIENCE.

Coffee filters ALONE are not GOOD.

They are about 15 micron, plus wick in contams, if ever wet.

TYVEK is a MUST DO THING. Standard method below

:thumbup:

:thumbup:

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3445787 - 12/04/04 03:07 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Your gauge may be off a tad . So do not worry too much about that .

Patience grasshopper when the myc grows you will be ready to learn the next phase , but patience is what you must learn now , 3.5 days is not much , just keep those jars warm and in the dark for now .

Wait to shake till 5% coloization . In my exp syringe injected grain can take some time germinating like up 2 weeks or more , even in optimal temp of 86 .

Good Luck

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Re: no signs of colonization after 3.5 days - what went wrong? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3445842 - 12/04/04 03:23 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I figured as much. In Magash's tek his jars were about 25% colonized after about 3.5 days. i am, of course, naieve to think i could simulate the same results on my very first try ever, but i figured i should see SOMETHING after this long. guess not though. time will tell.

patience is something i am learning everyday, both in mushrooms and in life. it is, i have found, the key to happiness. as always, thanks.

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3445853 - 12/04/04 03:25 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Shake at about this stage. Shaking prior to that only batters the myc & then it takes time to heal & start growing again. You ever hand a black eye? How long did it take to heal.

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular

Re: no signs of colonization after 3.5 days - what went wrong? [Re: agar]
    #3445881 - 12/04/04 03:33 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Is that an "injected" jar ?
Almost obvious ... you squirt more than most reccomend huh ? Well it looks that way from here .
If I had seen results like that I "might " have stayed with syringes  :wink:
I love my agar ............. :thumbup:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Re: no signs of colonization after 3.5 days - what went wrong? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3445892 - 12/04/04 03:35 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

okay i was just trying again and my pressure cooker once again did not fully reach 15 psi. it was at about 14.5 psi, close enough hopefully. the problem i'm having is that the pressure drops after only 30-40 minutes at 14-15 psi. why is it doing this? running out of water? furthermore, should i even bother innoculating these jars?

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular

#3445965 - 12/04/04 03:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Mess with the temp setting , higher lower , find what setting brings it up just past 15 then slowly back it down and try to maintain 15 . It takes some time learnig how to get temp setting just right .I had this happen to me see if is your problem
1. make sure pot is centered over the burner
2. the little weight that come with PC , is your 2 pieces you can take apart ?
If so make sure the little plastic part is screwed on tightly to the metal part of the weight .

Good Luck

PS another factor may be your alt .

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #3445998 - 12/04/04 04:10 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

mutli/spore innoc, day six.

5 squirts, 1 each corner, 1 down center, about 2.5 cc per jar.

agar is GREAT, because you can tell if any culture is contam'ed - or not.

Liquid Culture (LC)is fastest - I ever had.

Matter of fact, once tried LC straight into pasturized compost substrate, supplimented with 25% PC'ed bulk WBS.

Worked GREAT (but, must have very aseptic enviro to incubate in).

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3446057 - 12/04/04 04:28 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

interesting Agar, you dont shake the jar right after inoc?

--------------------

Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
    #3446063 - 12/04/04 04:32 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

laughingbuddha said:
okay i was just trying again and my pressure cooker once again did not fully reach 15 psi. it was at about 14.5 psi, close enough hopefully. the problem i'm having is that the pressure drops after only 30-40 minutes at 14-15 psi. why is it doing this? running out of water? furthermore, should i even bother innoculating these jars?

If your cooker is making a racket all the time, reduce the heat. Otherwise it will use up the water in a hurry. You should hear it rattle perhaps 3 times per minute. If it's been completely quiet for a while, turn the heat up a tad.

--------------------
Don't panic!

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: no signs of colonization after 3.5 days - what went wrong? [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3446087 - 12/04/04 04:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MushroomFriend said:
interesting Agar, you dont shake the jar right after inoc?

NO...... I prefer 1 squirt down center & 1 each of 4 sides of jar, so I can see whats going on ASAP.

But, shake right after innoc is fine. If you do that - no need to shake again, as spores should be fairly well spread out in jar.

Either way works.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3446111 - 12/04/04 04:51 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Except here grmmmbl %$^^*fgrw@@!!!!

--------------------

Anonymous

#3446158 - 12/04/04 05:13 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

me too...i'm scared the filter might absorb the spores

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Re: no signs of colonization after 3.5 days - what went wrong? [Re: ]
    #3447606 - 12/04/04 10:57 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

thanks for the tips on the pressure cooker. i will try again tomorrow with more water in it and reduce the heat even more as it rises up to 15. the first time i did it i got it up to 14 psi for about 40 minute and the second time up to 14.5 psi for about 45 minutes. hopefully i'll be able to get the psi up to 15 for at least an hour next time.

also, there is indeed a two piece pressure cap with my cooker. and the plastic part did feel a little loose. there was lots of water between it and the metal part. we'll see if my drying it and tightening it helps get me to 15 psi for 60+ minutes. if not i fear my pc was poorly one on ebay.

--------------------

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
    #3448034 - 12/05/04 12:41 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

how do you inoculate with tyvek? Syringe? if so, is there a problem with it sealing afterwards. Is it really better then polyfill

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
    #3448044 - 12/05/04 12:44 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

14 psi is good enough for 45 mins for any size under 1/2 gallon jar

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

Teh=The

I need to proofread

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: no signs of colonization after 3.5 days - what went wrong? [Re: tahoe]
    #3448116 - 12/05/04 01:02 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Place tyvek over jar opening

Add lid cap w/2 or 3 holes drilled in it, add ring & screw on.

Cover jar top with tinfoil, or 3 coffee filters (think rubber band)

PC,allow to cool.

Remove coffee filters, or foil, innoc (aseptic conditions) through one hole & right through Tyvek, then alc swab HVY duty scotch type packing tape & tape over hole in metal lid.

Replace coffee filters, or foil & incubate jars

Jump into the Future :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation