Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinesirJ
enlightened darkmatter

Loc: middle of nowhere
what went wrong? the poo story
    #998200 - 10/27/02 10:56 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

well.. the begining of august to be exact i had stumbled upon a source for poo. this poo was mule poo which is of course a HORSE and a donkey brought together and made sweet lovin.. looks the same of course as horse poo. the only poo that was relatively dry was in the bottom of the stable where it had been for a year or two undisturbed so that is what i gathered. i pasturized my poo and put in these white square buckets that the lady below me had given to me (little did she know the purpose) and they're a good square foot and so i divided my poo among these 4 buckets a good 6 inches of poo. half went in ecuador the other half pesa. fully colonized birdseed but i only had 1 jar of each to spare so i put half a quart of birdseed in each. a month later.. some little growth but nothing spectacular like i thought i'd see. temperature was in the lower 80's and kept in the dark. and after two months i see slight growth so i decided to mix things up i still have no good news to report but the poo looks to be a little dryer then it had been before. any speculations on what the problem is? amount of spawn? should i use a different container? i was going to fruit it in the same container. should i attempt to moisten it a little? or should i just try again? not that this is the end of the poo line for me... just want to know whether to keep waiting or to toss it and dry again.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: what went wrong? the poo story [Re: sirJ]
    #998242 - 10/27/02 11:04 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The biggest problem most growers have with poo is moisture content. After pasteurization the poo should be squeezed until water stops coming out. With poo it is better to be on the dry side.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Edited by dog (10/27/02 11:06 PM)

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
Re: what went wrong? the poo story [Re: dog]
    #999795 - 10/28/02 01:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like it is too dry. Like is stated in above post, get your shit to "field capacity" or squeeze it firmly until it barley drips. Not squeeze the hell out of it until it dosen't drip. Fine line for some.

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#999813 - 10/28/02 01:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Could be a number of things... Too low of spawn ratio, the poo on the bottom could have collected all the water, making it really wet, and you could have had it so the humidity was not high enough inside (not sealed with little holes) so that the moisture was evaporated.

Might want to try smaller amounts of dung until you got it down. Sounds like you ran into a problem in the beginning with the low spawn ratio.

OfflinesirJ
enlightened darkmatter

Loc: middle of nowhere
    #1004810 - 10/30/02 12:54 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i had let the bag of poo drain over nite.. it could've been too damp.. true.. i was thinking if it doesn't show any promise in a couple more weeks.. could i mix in some straw that is fully colonized and fruiting? once it's flushed? all could be told with one finger in the poo

OfflinePsiloSteve
Bioinformant
    #1005410 - 10/30/02 09:49 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If you pasturized your dung, I would say it is too wet and not too dry from what you are saying. However there could also be other problems. I would colonize some more of that birdseed so you have more to work with so you dont waste your culture. Mix some dry vermiculite if its too wet.

Also, colozing dung needs to breath. A lot of people make the mistake of not letting it get any CO2 because half pint jars dont really need any air because its such a small substrate. However if your colonizing a gallon of mule shit, you might want to use an oven bag or the like with holes punched in it and let colonize in a cooler or some type of sealed box. It will allow enought air exchange and you can see if its too wet because there will be a puddle on the bottom that is more visible. There shouldn't be more than a few beads of water if at all.

And last some farm stores treat their animal feed with funguscides. After a rain storm you should look where it normally shits and look for signs of mycellium/fruits of wild species. If you dont see any, its a good chance its treated shit. I imagine thats not uncommon where theres a lot of wild psilos.

Anyway best of luck next time

PS

--------------------
Don't worry be happy!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation