Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
what would cause veils to break early?
    #3400558 - 11/23/04 08:50 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

my temp sits at 78F. i fan several times a day, and i have an air pump hooked up for the times i sleep and work, also it provides humidity through a tropic aire terrerium humidifier.. my humidity seems good but my cheap ass hygroetor wont read past 85%. but i dont think its humidity. i also use the spray method. they are pf style cakes and the strain is mazatapec from T.H.E.. the mushrooms dont seem as big as they do in everbodies pics. sorry i cant post pics. is it just one of those things? or is their a reason behind it.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
Re: what would cause veils to break early? [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3400911 - 11/23/04 09:57 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

There never as big as everybodies pics :frown: are these the first mushrooms on the cake??

--------------------

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Re: what would cause veils to break early? [Re: aussieone]
    #3400919 - 11/23/04 09:57 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yes they were. is that the reason please tell me yes.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
    #3400959 - 11/23/04 10:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If you got it from a reliable spore vendor it is unlikely that the print and syringe were from a small-capped mushroom so it isn't the genetics :thumbup: I get the exact same thing on my casings, little mushrooms that reach full maturity at a very small size, there will be big ones coming :grin:

--------------------

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Re: what would cause veils to break early? [Re: aussieone]
    #3400979 - 11/23/04 10:04 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

thats what i like to hear. thanks aussie.

--------------------

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3401285 - 11/23/04 11:02 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If you want to grow big ones go WBS to straw/manure.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: what would cause veils to break early? [Re: Gr0wer]
    #3403933 - 11/24/04 01:35 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Its the substrate..cakes will yeild small shrooms. Strains will vary the size. Most mushrooms are like 3-6 inches long, they look bigger in pics though. Move to whole grains or straw/dung to get ones that are bigger. And make sure the substrate is 1.5-2 inches thick for grains and like 3-6 for straw/dung.

Lack of moisture will definatly cause shrooms to be small, they are 90% water and if they can only pull a small amount of water from whereever then the 10% of dry weight is going to be smaller as well. Dunking and rolling cakes in verm is a big help, proper misting is also needed as it a good high rh. Cool mist humidifiers can LOWER the rh sometimes because of the introduction of fresh air so its possible this is your problem.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Re: what would cause veils to break early? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3403961 - 11/24/04 01:40 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

even though i have a cheap hygrometer it did raise when i introduced the humidifier. i think it was kinda a fluke cause today i have shrooms that are bigger than the ones that already broke and no signs of veil tearing. i think in all my excitement of my first grow i ended up jumping the gun on this one. today i have shrooms about 5in. me and the wife are going to have a good time tonight. :mushroom2: :crazy2:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3403988 - 11/24/04 01:45 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I mean lower it from what it coudl potentially be, not just lower it from with or without it..

But yes you certainly could be jumping the gun :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineSilven
Male

Loc: El Mexicano
    #3403994 - 11/24/04 01:47 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Lemon, don't let it get you down too much. Usually if you have smaller mushrooms coming off your cake/casing, you will get many more of them than someone who is pulling large mushrooms. It all balances itself out in the end.

Also, some strains produce larger fruits than others. Like my koh samui super strains, they produce anywhere from 2" to 5" long fruits with a 2" substrate layer in a casing, compared to the equadors they are midgets. My equadors seem to easily hit 6" and up.

--------------------
What do you bring to the table?

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Re: what would cause veils to break early? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3404001 - 11/24/04 01:48 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

once again thank you scat.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale