Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Loc: outta here
PC diagnostic and repair tools
    #3398087 - 11/23/04 01:54 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I'm getting asked more and more often to help out with PC problems for friends & family and I was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations for any software you use as part of your 'toolkit'.

At the moment I have a Knoppix live CD which I generally use to make sure that a system will boot and that the hardware seems to be ok. What I could really do with is a bootable HDD scanning utility, scandisk just doesn't really do much for me. I've had great results with Maxtor's maxblast software, but that's only really good for their own drives.

Feel free to post any programs that you find useful for this kind of thing (doesn't have to be just HDD related).

The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: PC diagnostic and repair tools [Re: Edame]
    #3398356 - 11/23/04 02:48 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

spyware removal and antivirus, of course
spare hardware is probably a good idea too.
So for more serious problems you can try replacing ram, video card, etc... to see if that's where the problem is.

um.... screwdriver?

"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

Re: PC diagnostic and repair tools [Re: Edame]
    #3398711 - 11/23/04 03:57 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

its nice to carry around an external hdd with all the shit u need on it, but not everyone's mobo supports booting from usb drives. i use a bunch of differnt stuff for every scenario, but the one that i find myself using most is stellar phoenix fat and ntfs hdd recovery... it scans dead drives for remnants of old files... most problems i need software to fix are software problems. hardware just gets salvaged/replaced.

"A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
-Al Einstein

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology