Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
SATA HDD and WinXP problems
    #2376756 - 02/25/04 06:53 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I just put together a shuttle mini-system with a serial-ATA hard drive, only problem is that the WinXP installation won't recognise the drive.  The even bigger problem is that the system doesn't have a floppy drive, so I can't even use a driver disk and the XP install will only take floppies.

I was made aware of this before I put it together, so I bought a USB floppy drive and I've connected it to the MOBO.  XP still can't find an A drive and I'm starting to tear my hair out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to progress?  I do have another PC, but it doesn't support SATA so I can't hook it up just for an install.
The USB floppy does power up with the PC, but I'm wondering if I need to change anything in the BIOS settings so that XP can detect it?  There is an option for an A drive in the BIOS, so I chose to designate a floppy to it.  XP then started asking for a disk in drive A, but it still isn't actually talking to the drive.

I don't have a clue what to do next.  :confused:

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: SATA HDD and WinXP problems [Re: Edame]
    #2376904 - 02/25/04 08:17 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

BIOS won't initialize much more than a USB keyboard and I don't think win XP was built with SATA in mind, so the drivers it initializes at the beginning of the setup don't include SATA, mostly SCSI and IDE. I've only encountered this problem once before, and can't say it was easy to get around. I setup XP on a IDE disk then mirrored the IDE drive to the SATA, then left the SATA drive connected and tried booting from that. If so, success, if not some board with add on SATA cards won't even recognize the drive until your OS is loaded. I believe there may be some third party programs with drivers to install from DOS, but not one I've stumbled across.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: SATA HDD and WinXP problems [Re: TinMan]
    #2378374 - 02/26/04 09:10 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Of course, if the Wintel world would upgrade to open firmware (IEEE-1275), these types of issues would disappear. See www.openfirmware.org for details.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2379397 - 02/26/04 01:48 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I would temporarily remove my IDE floppy drive from the second computer and install it on the new computer and use it till all the software has been installed and the sytem is operating smoothly (well, as smoothly as windows can operate).

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: SATA HDD and WinXP problems [Re: Evolving]
    #2379635 - 02/26/04 02:39 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

That's what I ended up doing, took me ages as the MOBO is very cramped but I'm all sorted now.  Thanks for the replies. :smile:

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2395428 - 03/02/04 04:04 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yeap, XP doesn't have any SATA drivers. You have to press F6 when the installation begins to install it as scsi device and then use a floppy disk with the SATA drivers in it.
Normally, the mobo installation CD has an utility to transfer the correct files to the floppy.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology