Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblezxsevinr
fartnocker
harvesting casings
    #3359253 - 11/14/04 11:50 AM (12 years, 27 days ago)

all the boomers are so close together that i dont really want to stick my fingers down in there and bruise everything around each one i pick and it seems to pull a big chunk of substrate out with the mushie should i use scissors and clip by the bottom or what?

--------------------
i also am a big liar and i tell no truths on this board furthermore when the words i me or my are used i am refering to a friend of a friend

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: harvesting casings [Re: zxsevinr]
    #3359268 - 11/14/04 11:52 AM (12 years, 27 days ago)

I was wondering the same thing. Some people say twist some say, cut. I know ripping out substrate is a bad idea, maybe cutting and covering with sterilized casing mix is the best idea.

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: harvesting casings [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3359298 - 11/14/04 11:59 AM (12 years, 27 days ago)

It's interesting that so many are having these same problems..

I'm experiencing the same thing. I kinda knew when I was harvesting that ripping the casing layer out was going to be bad news.. Indeed, it seems to have caused a horrible 2nd flush.

Anyway, I just got ahold of Stamets book The Mushroom Cultivator, and it touches on this exact problem. It says that indeed ripping the casing layer away is detrimental to the 2nd flush and the cause is too thin a casing layer. So take note.. I'm going to make it thicker next time and see if it helps.

OfflinePhynatikus
Psychonaught

Re: harvesting casings [Re: discman1]
    #3359318 - 11/14/04 12:03 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

discman1 said:

I'm experiencing the same thing. I kinda knew when I was harvesting that ripping the casing layer out was going to be bad news.. Indeed, it seems to have caused a horrible 2nd flush.

Anyway, I just got ahold of Stamets book The Mushroom Cultivator, and it touches on this exact problem. It says that indeed ripping the casing layer away is detrimental to the 2nd flush and the cause is too thin a casing layer. So take note.. I'm going to make it thicker next time and see if it helps.

While its quite possible your thin casing layer could be the cause, its more than likely that you'll have a few holes in your cashing layer after twisting or cutting. Just remember to patch wherever needed. And do remember, too thick of a casing layer could lead to future problems.

--------------------
"I have seen these shrooms enlighten the worthy and turn the unworthy into fools. So I figured that the shrooms would eventually take care of themselves. The shrooms will be the judge, ultimately."
- Robert McPherson ~ Professor Fanaticus

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: harvesting casings [Re: Phynatikus]
    #3359337 - 11/14/04 12:06 PM (12 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Phynatikus said:
Quote:

discman1 said:

While its quite possible your thin casing layer could be the cause, its more than likely that you'll have a few holes in your cashing layer after twisting or cutting. Just remember to patch wherever needed. And do remember, too thick of a casing layer could lead to future problems.

Yes, that is true, good point.

But when I harvested my 1st flush, it was completely gone... all the way down to the substrate except in the areas where there were no mushrooms right around the edges. Coincidentally, those places are the only areas growing shrooms on the 2nd flush. :wink: I think in my case it was indeed too thin a layer.. Will see next time, I guess.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation