Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Potassium Hydroxide as a pH buffer in a casing
    #3345400 - 11/11/04 03:29 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Mixed with the water when mixing the casing material up..

Yay, nay?

Never been tried and I should turn my mycelium into a guinea pig? lol

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineaussieone
shroominator
 User Gallery

Loc: QLD, Australia
Re: Potassium Hydroxide as a pH buffer in a casing [Re: discman1]
    #3345441 - 11/11/04 03:46 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

are you talking about using 50/50? maybey mix a batch up with the stuff then another batch without it and PH test to see if there is any difference :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3345450 - 11/11/04 03:48 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

If you want to sac your myc, go ahead. But let me give you some inforation about KOH.

It's a very stong base. It'll make a very caustic environmet and will kill everything if the concentration is high.(it doesn't take much) If you have any rust, it'll dissolve all that and the protective layer of rust as well. Even if you just a little, you are risking localized concentration to vary a lot which will result in myc death.

There is a major difference between acid/base and buffers. Buffers are usually salts(resulting from mixture of acid and base) that will have a narrow band of pH where increase in concentration affects the pH very little. This is why CaCO3 is preferred.

Good luck

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Invisibleblacksh33p18
sheep

Loc: "the hood" los angeles CA
    #3345462 - 11/11/04 03:51 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I thought about using lye (sodium hydroxide, I think?)bceause you can buy it at any hardware store and its basic PH very strong though. I would have tried it but I HAVE NO IDEA how to do the math and find the right amount in ratio to casing.

--------------------
Anything up for debate in terms of freedom IS AND SHOULD BE FREE -BY DEFAULT-, this is not debatable.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Re: Potassium Hydroxide as a pH buffer in a casing [Re: blacksh33p18]
    #3345476 - 11/11/04 03:55 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It's easy to do math... it's extremely hard to make it useful because of such a narrow band... It's not worth it IMO. But hey... who am I to say you can't experiment, right?

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Potassium Hydroxide as a pH buffer in a casing [Re: Sam1912]
    #3345488 - 11/11/04 04:11 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

As long as you make sure you inform them that its a risky one, which you did :smile: Stick with the buffers talked about in the FAQ's. They talk about slow release ones, instant ones, stronger ones, weaker ones and substitutes that could be used..follow them and you'll be ok..you can try other things to experiment with but they are going to be a risk..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
Re: Potassium Hydroxide as a pH buffer in a casing [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3345519 - 11/11/04 04:29 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah..

Well, obviously I wouldn't use very much... Just enough to get the pH up to ~8.0 or so.

I would mix up small batches of coir/verm using water with + a few drops added per time until the pH of the casing material was where I wanted it. It probably wouldn't take very much at all.. it would probably be hard to get it right unless I went in 1-2 drop per quart increments.. It was just an idea, though..

I would certainly mix it with the water well before adding it to the casing material.. Maybe I'll try it out..

Damn, I need more space..

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3345534 - 11/11/04 04:43 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You definatly shouldnt be using it for coir/verm. That pH should be just fine for mushies..pH is adjusted for peat usually.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3345538 - 11/11/04 04:46 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Technically, the pH of coir is a little below optimal.... so it shouldn't hurt(raising the pH a little that is, not necessarily the KOH).

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3345551 - 11/11/04 04:56 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Right, I use calcium carbonate..but because its slow release and not very strong. I use 70/30 coir/verm. Ive heard its not needed but I am trying it until I run out of thestuff I bought anyway..just about gone now..I'll see if I note a change. Over time the casing actually become more acidic and makes it more likly to contam..this is where the slow release buffer comes in. I dont let my casings stay past 3 flushes usually though. I really dont think that yeilds are noticably affected in the first 3 flushes from buffering coir.

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3345562 - 11/11/04 05:05 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

one more thing... pH control will also depend on temperature. Strong bases aren't affected as much as buffers though.

Remember that you are experimenting with strong base. Wear gloves and safety goggles for your safety. A small accident can really get out of hand when dealing with these chemicals.

One more thing... Why are you messing with bases? I think time would be better spent on messing with other salts with buffering characteristics, don't you think? But it's your experiment. Good luck!

Sam

--------------------

Offlinediscman1
journeyman
    #3345566 - 11/11/04 05:08 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Oh, I don't know. No reason really.. I have a bottle of it here..

I was just curious if it was possible or if anybody had tried it.

It's actually Potassium Hydroxide and Potassium Silicate... pH Up.

I also have just pure potassium silicate, which is much, much less intense than the mixture. Think that has possibilites?

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3345567 - 11/11/04 05:10 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Potassium Silicate is a salt. That's probably a good experiment. It's from strong base and weak acid, should be okay... maybe google for a graph?

Sam

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3345568 - 11/11/04 05:11 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I think the time would be better spent reading posts on proper misting procedures for casings and maintaining proper water content as this is much much more important then pH. Theres some nice info in the archieves under the casing section about watering. Other things can be done to improve conditions alot more too...including going and getting the stuff to make 50/50+ which you would probably benifit from more then altering the pH of coir. But its your grow :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

#3345573 - 11/11/04 05:22 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

You know what.. I've just did a quick research for potassium silicate. It's used as pH up for some but it's not a good buffer as it doesn't flatten out the pH curve. It does do a pH up though, but mainly used as a source of potassium for plant nute requirement.

It's considered a severe irritant, so wear gloves and goggles when you deal with them.

Good luck

Sam

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix