Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, HEPA Filter, Paul Stamets, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAdreamer323
journeyman
WANNA CASE!!!!
    #1394827 - 03/20/03 09:56 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Have grown cakes many many times. No prob. Now really really want to do a casing? Have attempted two casings, 3 "alien substrate" cakes in each bed, and both were hit with mold! :-( Thinking about sticking with cakes, but casing look so fun and fruitful. any suggestions?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Loc: Stirrin up the pile!
Re: WANNA CASE!!!! [Re: Adreamer323]
    #1394837 - 03/20/03 10:01 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Read the faq's, find a method to your liking..and once you can't find a specific question, come back and ask.

My 0.02, find some straw, poop, ans spawn your cakes. It's real easy.. my first 2 attempts were a total loss, then i got 1 flush and after it went green.

Now, i have not had a contam in over a month.. so your technique will improve..

the biggest problem faced, is a casing being too wet!!!!! avoid this and you should be fine!

--------------------

-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------

Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

Re: WANNA CASE!!!! [Re: PooPs]
    #1394841 - 03/20/03 10:04 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

A friend of mine is on his first grow. It's been anything but perfect. Anyway.. he has a few cakes and he made 1 1 cake casing. He didn't sterlize the 50/50 or anything. I'm not saying that you shouldn't, but he didn't.. Anyway.. this 1 case casking is pinning like crazy.. it looks like it will perform really well.. it was very easy.. good luck man.

--------------------
The day you were born, you were born free. That is your privilege.

I forgot to remember.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
    #1395150 - 03/20/03 12:16 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

kramer says you may be mixing your casings too wet(common prob with newbies)

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Invisiblerazer
enthusiast
Re: WANNA CASE!!!! [Re: george castanza]
    #1395596 - 03/20/03 03:46 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I personally love coco coir (coconut husk fibre). Cheap, compact. Doesnt need to be sterilized. Mix it 50/50 with verm so it doesnt dry out too fast

--------------------
All events stated by myself are only fictionous stories, any relations to true events are intirely coincidental.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #1395988 - 03/20/03 06:32 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Break up some cakes and case them. Makes for good pactice.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
Re: WANNA CASE!!!! [Re: Magash]
    #1396056 - 03/20/03 07:09 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I think I had a stroke.

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

Re: WANNA CASE!!!! [Re: Che_Night_Soil]
    #1396081 - 03/20/03 07:21 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Simply put, Magash = Amazing.

5 Shrooms for you my man.

--------------------
ha

OfflineAdreamer323
journeyman
Re: WANNA CASE!!!! [Re: shroominbloom]
    #1396512 - 03/20/03 10:55 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The "too much water" thing was something that i was worried about as i heard it is most common reason newbie casings go bad. What is a good amount or rule of thumb to go by on the water as to eliminate the prob.??

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
    #1398403 - 03/21/03 01:54 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

sqeeze that shit
if water come dripping out it's too wet
better to be a tad on the dry side than too wet
at least thats what kramer says :laugh:

according to Stamets:

"There is an easy method for preparing a casing of proper moisture content. Remove 10-20% of the volume of the dry mix and then saturate the remaining 80-90%. Then add the dry material. This method brings the moisture content to near optimum. (Some growers prefer to let the casing sit for 24 hours to full absorb water. Prior to its application, the casing is then thouroughly mixed again for even moisture distribution)."

that'll get your water content right. make your casing like that and take a good look at it. remember what it looks like. occasionally, when it starts to get dry, give it a light misting to bring the moisture content back up. Stop misting when it's pinning time.

Also, use a buffered casing material like 50/50+. A lime pH buffer will keep your casing from getting too acidic from the effects of things like mycelial wastes or peat moss. This will help keep you free of certain molds (including the dreaded green mold), which thrive in slightly acidic environments. it'll also help your mushrooms grow better. There are recipes out there for good casing mixtures involving vermiculite, peat moss, and\or coco coir with a pH buffer. try one out.

also, it's not a bad idea to sterilize your casing mix. put the dry mix in the oven at 250 degrees for about an hour, and when it cools, use fresh, clean water to wet it. clean your casing container (and any mixing bowls and spoons) with a 10% bleach solution ahead of time. do your growing in a clean location, and if possible, keep a HEPA filter running in the room. giving your casing proper air exchanges and light will also help fight mold and contribute to the health of the crop.

so there it is: get your moisture content right, get your pH right, and keep things clean. you should do alright.

Stamets also works in a lab with sticky pads for his feet at the door
at least thats what kramer says

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Edited by george castanza (03/21/03 06:29 PM)

Anonymous

#1398584 - 03/21/03 03:09 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

according to Stamets:

"There is an easy method for preparing a casing of proper moisture content. Remove 10-20% of the volume of the dry mix and then saturate the remaining 80-90%. Then add the dry material. This method brings the moisture content to near optimum. (Some growers prefer to let the casing sit for 24 hours to full absorb water. Prior to its application, the casing is then thouroughly mixed again for even moisture distribution)."

that'll get your water content right. make your casing like that and take a good look at it. remember what it looks like. occasionally, when it starts to get dry, give it a light misting to bring the moisture content back up. Stop misting when it's pinning time.

Also, use a buffered casing material like 50/50+. A lime pH buffer will keep your casing from getting too acidic from the effects of things like mycelial wastes or peat moss. This will help keep you free of certain molds (including the dreaded green mold), which thrive in slightly acidic environments. it'll also help your mushrooms grow better. There are recipes out there for good casing mixtures involving vermiculite, peat moss, and\or coco coir with a pH buffer. try one out.

also, it's not a bad idea to sterilize your casing mix. put the dry mix in the oven at 250 degrees for about an hour, and when it cools, use fresh, clean water to wet it. clean your casing container (and any mixing bowls and spoons) with a 10% bleach solution ahead of time. do your growing in a clean location, and if possible, keep a HEPA filter running in the room. giving your casing proper air exchanges and light will also help fight mold and contribute to the health of the crop.

so there it is: get your moisture content right, get your pH right, and keep things clean. you should do alright.

Edited by Anonymous (03/21/03 03:20 PM)

Offlineliftedoff420
i need drugs

Loc: fo-1-five
Re: WANNA CASE!!!! [Re: ]
    #1399681 - 03/22/03 05:42 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

would a good ratio for getting the vermiculite the right moisture would be to put 1/4 cup water for every 1/2 cup vermiculite?

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: WANNA CASE!!!! [Re: liftedoff420]
    #1399728 - 03/22/03 06:08 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i think that depends on whether your verm is fine like sand, or coarse like popcorn!

--------------------
buh

Anonymous

#1399804 - 03/22/03 06:50 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

put your casing mix in the oven and bake it at 250 for a little while. this will make it dry and sterile. then take it out and set aside 10% of it. put the rest in a strainer or colander and saturate it with fresh, clean water. let all the excess run out. then combine it in a bowl with the 10% that you didn't wet. stir well. there you go. proper moisture content. make sure your kitchen and all of the instruments you use are very clean too.

Anonymous

#1399805 - 03/22/03 06:51 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

and if you're casing with straight verm, make sure you get the chunkier kind.

Offlineliftedoff420
i need drugs

Loc: fo-1-five
Re: WANNA CASE!!!! [Re: ]
    #1400023 - 03/22/03 08:52 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

i got course verm....

i was thinking of using 1/4 water to 1/2 cup verm..microwaving it so some will evaporate...and then spraying with a h20h solution to resaturate

this sound gravy?

another thing- can the bottom layer of wet verm become contaminated?? will it fuck the casing up

Offlinetaters
french fried

Loc: the garden
    #1400050 - 03/22/03 09:05 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Fine verm is better but the coarse will work.

Most people make casing much more difficult than it needs to be. Just toss some coir and verm in a microwave safe bowl, add plenty of water, cover the bowl and microwave on high for 5 minutes, stir the mixture and add more water if needed, microwave another 5 minutes, remove from the microwave and leave covered while it cools.

To apply the casing just grab a handful of the mixture, squeeze in your fist until the water *almost* stops dripping and then sprinkle on the substrate. That's it.

It's not a bad idea to check the pH of the mixture, but my transvestite brother has found that his coir/verm mixtures are close to neutral.

Leave off the bottom layer. It is unnecessary.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: WANNA CASE!!!! [Re: taters]
    #1400077 - 03/22/03 09:18 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Fine verm is better

now      that is a contentious one. i've seen people here argue that one to and fro for hours. i'm gonna do a poll in the polls forum.

:tongue: 

--------------------
buh

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, HEPA Filter, Paul Stamets, Peat, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation