Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedisturbed
Poutine andSodomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: O-H-I-O
problems with rye
    #3340565 - 11/10/04 08:10 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I noc'd up 7 quarts of rye on 11/5 all with EQ from a vendor. I soaked the rye for 36 hours, then boiled it for about 15 min, loaded the jars up then added 1/4 tsp of gypsum per jar, and PC'd for 2 hours. now as of 11/10 i still have no signs of growth, and i'm just wondering how long I should wait until I toss these jars out.

In the past i've always used WBS, with no soak and just filled the jars up 1/2 way with WBS, then 1/4 the way up w/water and PC'd for 2 hours and i've always had signficant growth by the 5th day. I'm unsure if the gypsum has something to do w/the lack of growth, or if the water content could be wrong? I know it's hard to tell w/o a pick of the jars, but if anyone could help me out w/a timeline when i should give up on the jars it would be appreciated.

i'm also fairly certain it isn't the spores as i've always had good luck with this vendor, but i'm gonna do a karo jar to see if they germinate.

--------------------

11/25/07 first time entrant ban lottery champion

Edited by disturbed (11/10/04 08:17 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: problems with rye [Re: disturbed]
    #3340570 - 11/10/04 08:15 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

pe patient, it can sometimes take a litttle while for your spores
to germinate, once they do, they go like mad.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: problems with rye [Re: disturbed]
    #3340582 - 11/10/04 08:20 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not a big guru by no stretch of imagination on rye, but I simmer my rye for about 45-60min instead of boiling... I'm pretty sure that's where you get most of the moisture content from. But I think 15min boiling should be about the same, just messier...

If you used liquid culture, I'd be a little worried... but MSI, it can take awhile. Sometimes the spores are a little more picky about finding right partners and germination takes a little longer.

Gypsum salt shouldn't be an issue. Give them another couple of days and make a decision then... You should still see some germination even if the water content was a bit low. Low water content could keep it from colonizing fully, but usually spores find enough water to germinate.

Good Luck

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: problems with rye [Re: Sam1912]
    #3340629 - 11/10/04 08:38 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Hey guys,

Five days isnt too much to be concerned about, and it will most likely be alright. But heres my input on the situation.

Well for starters I dont really agree with too much of either ideas. You dont get most of your moisture from soaking, you get it from simmering. Soaking for 36 hours is too much. In fact soaking is just a precautionary step to get rid of more foreign endospores. The 2 hour pc in place of simmering is not a good idea. If you follow the following procedure you wont have any problems.

Soak the rye in the quart jars (1 cup in each jar, 3 cups water) for 12-24 hours, any further is unecessary. Less is more in this situation.

Place your hand over the quart jar and shake the rye and water, it will turn dark or discolored brown. Take a hand strainer and hold it against the lid and empty out the water, holding in the rye. Fill with water and shake again and empty it again.

Place all the rye into a large boiling pot, with enough water to submerge all of it. Bring to a boil on high. It should take some time depending on how many jars you are using. Once it is boiling cut back the heat to a light boil and stir regulary.

It could take anywhere from 45min-1hr15min for the rye to soak up the max amount of water and begin to split. Once I see the rye is splitting I usually give it another 5-10min then turn remove from heat and strain thouroughly. I usually use a small handstrainer to scoop out the rye form the pot and transfer to a sink mounted strainer and drain for a bit. This allows it to be drained twice.

There is no need to add additional water to the jars, they will be as saturated as possible. Once the jars are filled you have two options. Check the bottom for standing water, if there is only a little (a few centimeters) then itll be fine to pc for 1hr at 15psi, if there is more place your hand over the lid and put upsidedown over the sink to drain excess.

If you simmer correctly and incubate correctly you will do fine. I started my jars last tuesday and 3 are 100% colonized with 0 contams.

It obviously depends on the spores and the strains and the incubator.

I would leave gypsum out of the equation for now, JMO though.

Good luck

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: problems with rye [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3340644 - 11/10/04 08:45 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Kido, I did say I think simmering is where you get most of the moisture from.  Anyone dealing with rye would think that just from the looks.

You forgot to recite shake at 25% and 75%. :wink:
Just thought I throw that in there since you decided to recite the procedure to us. :wink:

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: problems with rye [Re: call_me_kido]
    #3340765 - 11/10/04 09:37 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

call_me_kido said:
I would leave gypsum out of the equation for now, JMO though.

you should try the gypsum in a couple of your jars, it has soem properties that go
great with whole grains, I found that I have fewer problems with wet spot and
bacterial contams when I use it.

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: problems with rye [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3340889 - 11/10/04 10:10 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

what is gypsum? I've been using grains for a little bit and havent heard anything of it.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Offlinecall_me_kido
Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: In your dreams
Re: problems with rye [Re: derx]
    #3340996 - 11/10/04 10:42 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Sam, the reason I didnt state to shake, is because this thread was started with an inquiry of, Not seeing any growth. The suggestions I placed were about the procedure before germination...not after. Guess I shouldnt waste my time huh?

One step at a time.

Kido

--------------------
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
- Albert Einstein (1875-1955)

"A is A" -Aristotle

Edited by call_me_kido (11/10/04 10:43 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains