Home | Community | Message Board

Radical Mycology Book by Chthaeus Press
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Grateful Dead, Hookah

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLthirdSeyeD
Stranger
Male

First Dark Star Ochestra Concert!
    #3329326 - 11/07/04 02:08 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I just returned from my first Dark Star Ochestra concert. They were fucking amazing sounded just like the grateful dead, when my eyes were closed I felt like I was back in the 70's listen to them.

Tonights concert was from 1977 I believe. It had an amazing second set, my memory is a little fuzzy but it was Samson, Sunrise, Scarlet> Fire> Good Lovin, St. Stephen> Drums> NFA> Wharf Rat> St. Stephen> Truckin

Anyone else seen darkstar?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
Re: First Dark Star Ochestra Concert! [Re: LthirdSeyeD]
    #3329329 - 11/07/04 02:10 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i wanna see them so bod :smile:
glad you had a good time
even though i dont like how they totaly copy a certin dead show, they play some damn good music

--------------------

InvisibleLthirdSeyeD
Stranger
Male

Re: First Dark Star Ochestra Concert! [Re: notapillow]
    #3329333 - 11/07/04 02:12 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I've never had the chance to hear the Dead, so this was almost as good. I think its pretty cool that they cover a full concert. It was a really small ampitheater too which made it feel very close.

I dunno how I did it but i was able to call three songs before they played it which ended up scaring the shit out of my friends.

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
    #3329340 - 11/07/04 02:15 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

lol cool
at the shore line concert last year i guessed the begining and end songs a week befor the concert
that blew my mind

yeah im kinda missing the dead right now
but there is plq to look forward to :laugh:

--------------------

OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

Re: First Dark Star Ochestra Concert! [Re: notapillow]
    #3330127 - 11/07/04 01:02 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Cool! I saw them for the first time earlier this year. They were great fun but nothing comes close to the real thing.  :smile: :gd_icon: :heart:

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Invisiblechillywicket
feel like astranger

Loc: Charm City
Re: First Dark Star Ochestra Concert! [Re: Phishgrrl]
    #3330252 - 11/07/04 05:55 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Dark Star Orch. got a pretty nice following for a Dead cover band, or should I say THE Dead cover band. They always play an actual concert which is pretty cool. But Phishgrrl was right---Ain't nothing like the real thing baby...

--------------------
"Space is fun alright."

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #3330275 - 11/07/04 06:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I've seen DSO a bunch, it's fun, but part fo the fun of the dead expiriance was the that you never knew really what to expect as far as what they would paly.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

InvisibleLthirdSeyeD
Stranger
Male

Re: First Dark Star Ochestra Concert! [Re: gdman]
    #3330893 - 11/07/04 08:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Very good points....I hope I get to see a dead concert soon. They never seem to come down to florida. Ill just take a road trip when they get somewhere close to here.

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
    #3331221 - 11/07/04 10:26 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Can anyone give dates of where i might be able to catch this show? Sounds interesting. But yeah, i so often fear that w/out jerry, that certain "magic" is gone too :frown: Right now im listening to 3-7-95, near the end, opening at the spectrum (my fav. place to see the dead) w/ here comes sunshine> wang dang> peggy-o :laugh: :laugh:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Re: First Dark Star Ochestra Concert! [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #3333906 - 11/08/04 07:37 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I got those dates, they are heading north, o well, maybe next time sounds worth seeing...
Info at ticketmaster.com

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Offlinepantsboy
I troll because I care.
Female User Gallery

Loc: 8====D ~o
Re: First Dark Star Ochestra Concert! [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #3334363 - 11/08/04 09:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Dudes, yeah, Dark Stark Orch rocks, I hella wanna see them in concert.
:gd_icon:
By the way, I found this mp3 on my computer the other day titled, "ekoostic hookah", (I think it is supposed to be Acoustic Hookah but some Israeli doesn't know how to spell).  But anyway, I opened up and it was a really good version of "I Know You Rider".  The guitar solos and rythem section sounds exactly like the Dead but there are violin and trumpet solos.  The vocals sound almost like the dead a little different.  And the concert is dated, 9/24/1999 in Columbus, Ohio.  I'm almost positive its DSO but I not totally sure.  Does anyone know by chance if DSO had a concert in Columbus on the date?  Thanks.

--------------------
Acid doesn't hurt when you're on fire. :frown:

"Mushrooms are only similar to penises in their appearance." - LeBron James (2013)

ToiletDuk said:
"Bus squelching is not to be laughed at."

OfflineGRTUD
INFP
Male

Loc: The Days Between
    #3334366 - 11/08/04 09:20 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

So glad you made it! I've seen The Grateful Dead about 75 times, starting in 1976 until the end, in 1995. I was front row, center at a Cap Center show in 1986, when they did Ripple for a second encore. I thought I'd never go to any concert after Jerry died, of any kind. I had no intention of ever trying to re-create what I had experienced over those years. With the exception of my wife and children, no experience was as valuable to my life as being at Grateful Dead shows. Slowly, a few years after Jerry died, I did go to several concerts, including The Other Ones, Phil & Friends and now The Dead (I really like Phil & Friends). My very best friend who accompanied me to many shows and road trips emailed me last year, that he had seen this band called Dark Star Orchestra and that it was awesome. They were coming to a city near my home and he encouraged me to come and give it a try. I had heard of them before and assumed they were similar to those I had seen in my early college daze (post high school for me, I had friends that could afford college but I went straight to work after HS). I felt kind of stupid standing there in the club before the show started. I had been ridiculed for my embrace of The Grateful Dead by most of my family (not my wife and kids but my mother, father, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc., etc.,) and even folks that liked music and went to rock concerts, in my hey day. At Bonnaroo in 2003, I was asked how a person I didn?t even know, could mean that much to me (to which I answered, ?I don?t know if you deserve my pity or envy, for asking that question. I purpose pity, for the pain of death couldn?t mask the beauty of which we [Jerry and his audiences, including myself] witnessed, first hand?). Needless to say, the inquirer didn?t have a good time at Bonnaroo 2003, which was one of the most awesome events I?ve ever attended. The feeling that this was a desperate effort to re-live my youth attacked my conscience mind and made me very uncomfortable. The music started and by the end of the first set, I could care less what people thought or said about DSO (much the same as I felt after seeing The Grateful Dead). I?ll go see DSO whenever I can afford to go. I?ve seen them six times since my first show in Nov. of 2003. Three of the shows were original and they deserve as much respect for what they are doing as anything that is happening in live music. I have bought CD?s of several shows I attended and enjoy listening to them, very much the same as the early years of bootleg tapes. The last show I saw was a magical, musical orgasm of epic stature. So glad you made it!

Edited by GRTUD (11/08/04 09:30 PM)

OfflineGRTUD
INFP
Male

Loc: The Days Between
Re: First Dark Star Ochestra Concert! [Re: pantsboy]
    #3334386 - 11/08/04 09:25 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not sure but it sounds like it was probably ekoostic hookah (spelling is correct, BTW) which is quite a good band as well.

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
Re: First Dark Star Ochestra Concert! [Re: GRTUD]
    #3334537 - 11/08/04 10:09 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i saw them on Halloween. It freaked me out how much they sounded like them..

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

Re: First Dark Star Ochestra Concert! [Re: pantsboy]
    #3334588 - 11/08/04 10:29 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

ekoostic hookah plays the ledges a lot. They rock. Dark Star Orchestra was there this year too, but I didn't get to see em.

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Grateful Dead, Hookah

Community >> The Pub