Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Masks and Authenticity [Re: Swami]
    #3323723 - 11/05/04 08:52 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Some here do not like my style and that is OK. Everything is not roses and fuzzy bunny slippers. But here is the thing, in my younger years I smiled at my enemies, I pretended to be the good little social clone. I wore different masks for different people and different occasions so as to get along.

Now I do my best, to NOT put on a front; to speak my mind without trembling and wondering if my audience (whether one person or a whole forum) will still like me when I am finished.

We wear masks for only two reasons: fear and to manipulate. Actually only one. Fear. Manipulation means that you do NOT trust that you can get the result you seek without being deceitful. We must first become conscious that we are doing it, seek out our motivation and then, if we are mature enough, decide to drop it.

Do I still wear masks? Yes, as I am not a fully authentic being. But much less than I used to.

you wear the mask of language? :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Masks and Authenticity [Re: Frog]
    #3324637 - 11/05/04 01:18 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Yep. I've tried honesty, but it doesn't work. People become angry over honesty. And defensive.

That's what I've been trying to say. No one likes having their faults pointed out. In another thread someone was doing an armchair analysis of Shroomism, and I have to say it made me wince.

You see a guy with his fly open. Do you say in front of everyone, "You idiot! Your zipper is wide open as the Grand Canyon!" or do you walk over to him and whisper with a smile, "Dude. Your fly is open."?

Some people here prefer the former approach. Personally I favor the latter. It garners me less attention, but it gets the job done without a lot of  :drama:

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Offlinekbilly
earthwalker

Re: Masks and Authenticity [Re: Jellric]
    #3324943 - 11/05/04 02:47 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

sometimes honesty is a neccesity, in important situations with people you really care about, then the manner if which you realate uncomfortable information will be the test of your love.

if you try to trim a cat by holding it down and forcefully using an electric razor it will just rip the skin of your arm.

if you stroke its ears while you gently snip away a cat can be successfully trimmed.

being truthfull is an art just like lying, except you dont need to keep track of the lies youve sown

honesty out of love

Edited by kbilly (11/05/04 02:52 PM)

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Masks and Authenticity [Re: kbilly]
    #3324967 - 11/05/04 02:52 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

It's easier to cover the cat in Nair than it is to shave it.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Offlinekbilly
earthwalker

Re: Masks and Authenticity [Re: Sclorch]
    #3326310 - 11/05/04 10:58 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

yes and its easier to just kill the cat than to shave it its a metaphor you idiot

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: It's called sarcasm... next time I'll add a rimshot. [Re: kbilly]
    #3328258 - 11/06/04 04:59 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: It's called sarcasm... next time I'll add a rimshot. [Re: Sclorch]
    #3328279 - 11/06/04 05:06 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

hmm its a bit confusing isnt it?
one the one hand, we must strive for autheniticity. If im in a group and an acquaintance starts spewing bullshit racist propagandha about how pakis are ruining our country (this happens with alarming frequency) it is important to be honest and call him as you see him, as a racist, ignorant, misinformed, hatefull crap spewer.

On the other hand, if that racist is in the company of several large, muscular skinheads, surely silence in the name of self preservation is excusable?

and then again, if your grandma shows you her new acquisition, lets say a hideously painted chair salvaged from the dump, and shes all proud and beaming, is it not better to say 'wow grandma thats so nice?"rather than tell her what you really think and crush her feelings?

so, in some situations, wearing masks is good. In fact id say that its always ok to wear masks, as long as YOU know about the true face underneath. Its when you start believing the masks are your true face that you get messed up.

In fact, id say that the 'swami' that you see as the real authentic you is just in fact your favourite mask. Once you become truly authentic you would be egoless, without personalilty or preferances as we know it. In that sense id say mask wearing is integral to social and physical life.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Edited by Moonshoe (11/06/04 10:00 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: It's called sarcasm... next time I'll add a rimshot. [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3328939 - 11/06/04 09:58 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

OK nice to understand the duality, most masks are layered much more than 2 deep. life can get pretty complex.
usually I am aware of several operating at once, slowly fading and new ones emerging.
that is the nature of the real me.
it's quite authentic. I know of nobody who is free of this, or who could function without it.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order