Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShoney45
journeyman
Couple of PF Tek Experiments (Any Input from the Elders?)
    #3327282 - 11/06/04 12:35 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I conducted my first experiment by accident. I prepared a dozen jars for inoculation, but didn't have enough foresight to realize that I was running quite low on vermiculite. I filled my jars, began to put on the dry layer of vermiculite, and ran out of the stuff after the seventh jar. Since it was about 1:00 AM, I couldn't go out and buy more. I wanted to to get them sterilized that night though, so I used the rest of my powdered brown rice as a dry layer on the top just to see what would happen. I sterilized the jars and placed them in the fridge with the intent of innoculating them the next day.

School was kicking me in the ass however, and I didn't get around to innoculating them for about a week. As the cakes began to grow mycelium, an epic battle with contamination also began. The only thing I can figure is that the sitting in the fridge for a long time was the problem. Every one of my controls has always been the same and I have never had any serious problems with contamination. The only control that was different this time is the fridge thing because the other times I always inoculated the same day I sterilized.

Well, the point of this is that not a single one of the cakes that had the layer of powdered rice was contaminated. Every single one of the ones that had a layer of vermiculite was severely contaminated. I also decided that I was out of shroom juice, and wouldn't have enough money to buy more for a few weeks, that I was going to try to save what cakes I could (something I hadn't done with other contaminated cakes before). So I used rubber gloves, a painters mask, and lots of water in getting rid of the contams. I ran the water all over the cake from the time I took it out of the jar so that I could get it right down the drain and not let it wander off into the air. I managed to save all of the cakes except for one. A couple of them were reduced down to about fifty percent of the size they began with, but one of those is also the cake that is growing big huge fat shrooms that are just enormous. The next time I prep some jars, I am going to do 50/50 verm/brown rice, and see if there are any similar results.

The other thing I have experimented with is how I treat the cakes once they are in my fish tank. A have read a lot of people tell how they expect about an ounce of dry shrooms fronm ten cakes. But I wanted to challenge this assumption because some of the elders here have said that about a quarter oz. (cracker dry) can be excpected from a single cake. So with eleven cakes I set out to have a little under three ounces of cracker dry shrooms before it was all over.

I first became hopeful of this because I set my cakes directly on the perlite. I took somebody elses advice, put all of my perlite into a strainer, ran it through with water, let the excess water run off and then put it in the tank. To my great pleasure, my cakes exploded with continued myceliel growth. Using the perlite, some of the cakes developed a root-like myceliel network that was larger than the actual cake itself, and pinning started in under five days. That was several days ago, and I have been picking about an ounce of wet shrooms a day. I am very diligent about picking the shrooms immediately when I see the head flare. I check my cakes twice a day and pick whatever has flared. My wet dry/ratio pretty faithfully equals 1 oz. wet = 1/8 oz. dry. And so far I have a little over 3/4 oz. of cracker dry shrooms.

But the cakes look completely fresh and ready to go. They don't show any signs of being ready to give up the ghost. It looks like tomorrow I am going to be harvesting a flush that I think will be as many as two oz. wet. I dunked the cakes in the fridge for twenty-four hours before birthing them, but the other experiment I am doing now is instead of dunking the cakes in between flushes, I bury it in damp perlite for about a day. After a day is done, it is usually pinning again very quickly and giving me a flush within a couple of days.

If anyone is interested I will keep sharing my results and let people know what I find. But if all this is old news to folks, then I will shut my hole. I am pretty excited though. I ate a quarter of them yesterday BTW. After I ate them I sat down to study a score of music by Brahams for my conducting class. I suddenly had this very bizarre thought about conducting a cosmic orchestra of dancing jellybeans, exploded into laughter, knew Brahams was going to have to wait for another day, put on my headphones, listened to Bach violin partitas, some old early seventies Dead shows, and looked at weird pictures somebody posted for about four hours. I had a really good time.

Shoney

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Couple of PF Tek Experiments (Any Input from the Elders?) [Re: Shoney45]
    #3327297 - 11/06/04 12:44 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, I'm glad you were able to save some cakes.  I'm quite baffled on how the top layer of BRF didn't absorb some water vapors and cook during sterilization.  It should've been cooked from evaporating water inside the jars...  But whatever works.  I don't think using BRF is something you should promote, though.

Also, as far as yield goes...  a lot extra growth is not a good thing.  It wastes water and nutes.  My cakes give me around 150g per flush per cake for first 2 flushes and then about 90g 3rd flush.  Wet of course.  So, I think you have a little room to improve your yields. :wink:

Good luck

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

OfflineShoney45
journeyman
Re: Couple of PF Tek Experiments (Any Input from the Elders?) [Re: Sam1912]
    #3327364 - 11/06/04 01:13 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Wow, that's enormous. Are the cakes in the picture once that you grew? Yup, it sounds like I have to room to improve for sure. Overall I am getting better at it. But I am kind of at a place where I am not sure what I am doing wrong to not get those enormous kinds of harvests. The spores I have been using are Malai beach spores. Could that have anything to do with it? the next ones I get are going to be an assortment pack of South American spores. I just dont know. My overall yields have increased dramatically compared to when I first started. But I have a long way to go to have cakes like the ones in the pictures. I will have one or two sections look like the picture. But I have yet to get an entire cake to look like that.

BTW - What are nutes. I haven't quite gotten a grip on what this term means.

I will also follow your advice on not pushing the brown rice thing. I am curious for my own self. But I won't tell people to use it.

Offlinecisole
Master of the Beer Bong

Loc: NM
Re: Couple of PF Tek Experiments (Any Input from the Elders?) [Re: Shoney45]
    #3327463 - 11/06/04 01:51 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Shoney45 said:

BTW - What are nutes.

"Nutrients"

--------------------
is it life that keeps us going, or us that keeps life going?

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Couple of PF Tek Experiments (Any Input from the Elders?) [Re: cisole]
    #3327529 - 11/06/04 02:09 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Yes. that was one of my cakes. I've improved my procedures a bit as well as the yields. You just need to keep experimenting and find out what works. There's a lot of posts from past 2 weeks that'll help you key in on the ideal conditions.

Good Luck.

Sam

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation