Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

republicans - why not the libertarian party?
    #3276814 - 10/25/04 07:56 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

judging from the recent polls it seems that there are people here who prefer republicans over libertarians, or at least W over badnarik.

my question for the republicans here is... why?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: republicans - why not the libertarian party? [Re: ]
    #3276860 - 10/25/04 08:04 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

electability. Which is a stupid reason to begin with.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #3276866 - 10/25/04 08:05 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

No shot of winning and I sincerely believe that we must act violently to certain world situations. I have no idea whether Badnarik will go there

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: republicans - why not the libertarian party? [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #3276871 - 10/25/04 08:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

what do you mean by 'electability'?

cabable of getting themselves elected or capable of doing the job?

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
Re: republicans - why not the libertarian party? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3276872 - 10/25/04 08:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
No shot of winning and I sincerely believe that we must act violently to certain world situations. I have no idea whether Badnarik will go there

That explains a lot and it is rather disheartening.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: republicans - why not the libertarian party? [Re: unbeliever]
    #3276883 - 10/25/04 08:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

You and Baba Rum Raisin can levitate the Pentagon for peace. I'd prefer to hire a cop to keep the thugs at bay.

--------------------

Anonymous

#3276888 - 10/25/04 08:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i'm not voting for libertarians across the board in november. i'm not going to vote the party line; i research each candidate for each office up for election.

for instance, this guy:

http://www.geocities.com/pa_treasurer/

is running as a libertarian for PA state treasurer. he is a clown and i will not be voting for him. his republican opponent is a much better choice, though she will almost certainly lose to the democrat who is running.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #3276903 - 10/25/04 08:12 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yes capable of getting elected.

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#3276951 - 10/25/04 08:20 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ROFL!! I'll try to add some substance to this thread tommorow but for now, thanks for the link Mush, what a monstrosity this guy is.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

InvisibleJohan Shultz
no title

Loc: UTOPIA
    #3277253 - 10/25/04 09:30 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
i'm not voting for libertarians across the board in november. i'm not going to vote the party line; i research each candidate for each office up for election.

for instance, this guy:

is running as a libertarian for PA state treasurer. he is a clown and i will not be voting for him. his republican opponent is a much better choice, though she will almost certainly lose to the democrat who is running.

Are you sure that he is a libertarian????? He sounds like some regular church freak, and he looks like a retard. gotta be one of the soldiers from Jerry Falwell Army.

--------------------

InvisibleJohan Shultz
no title

Loc: UTOPIA
Re: republicans - why not the libertarian party? [Re: Johan Shultz]
    #3277259 - 10/25/04 09:33 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

...sorry,  DR.  Falwell :smile:

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: republicans - why not the libertarian party? [Re: Johan Shultz]
    #3277286 - 10/25/04 09:38 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I consider myself somewhat of a libertarian. I am voting for George Bush because I think he has done well with the War on Terror. On domestic political issues I allign myself with libertarians, but right now I think the war is the right thing to do. And even if it WAS the wrong thing to do, now that we are in there we better win.

Also, I think the tremendous outpouring of mean spirted hate has made me like George Bush more. When people constantly compare him to Hitler he can't help but look good by comparison. I think that he is honest and that he has the best interests of the American people in his heart.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: republicans - why not the libertarian party? [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3277341 - 10/25/04 09:57 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

JesusChrist said:
I think that he is honest and that he has the best interests of the American people in his heart.

can you please explain this with some evidence to back up your opinion? Honesty isn't the adjective I would use to describe a president who has misled the int'l community and the american public so much. From out-right lies (remember a certain nuclear arms program that was invented to the UN?), to spin-styled twisted-truths ("the war in iraq is over and we won it!"), the man certainly hasn't been "honest" by my definition of the term. And, I know there is the argument that - "well maybe Bush honestly believes that what he is doing is right! shouldn't we respect that?"... well, i could honestly belive that God came down from on high and granted me the supreme right to do as I please - but last I recalled, the supreme word of God wasn't legally binding... oh wait a sec... israel? :shrug:

and to say that Bush has the best interests of the American people at heart? .... well, he could, in his own opinion, believe in trickle-down economics (but i belive the over-whelming majority of evidene shows trickle-down economics to not work as Reagan claimed), believe that the only way to protect the american public is either by the corporate-globalisation-homogonization of the 3rd world, or by simply killing them off (but i personally don't see destruction, war, and the birth of more hatred as serving anyones interest)...

i don't mean to rant, but if you might better explain your two statements? thanks!

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: republicans - why not the libertarian party? [Re: Krishna]
    #3277371 - 10/25/04 10:08 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think that Bush lied to the American people. I think that he is an honest man, even after reading all the hate. And being honest doesn't mean that he is always right, and having the best interests of the American people in his heart doesn't mean that he has all the answers.

The war is the big issue for me. I think he is doing the best that he can. I think it is vital for America to succeed in helping the Iraqi people toward freedom. My support of Bush is because of the global war on terror. I am glad that George Bush had an aggressive response to 9/11 and the growing threat of global terrorism and Islamofachism.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: republicans - why not the libertarian party? [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3277423 - 10/25/04 10:25 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

well I agree with one point of yours - "honest doesn't mean he is always right" - but in my view, honesty means being able to admit that you were wrong. An honest president, in Bush's shoes, should be honest to the american people - should say, "we thought that there was a dire threat from WMDs, but it turns out the intelligence was wrong. Our rational for sub-verting the process of international justice turned out to be flawed - and perhaps in light of this hindsight, we might have acted differently." i'm sorry, but to "stay the course" when you are obviously fucking things up isn't having my best interest, as an american citizen, in mind...

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: republicans - why not the libertarian party? [Re: Ancalagon]
    #3277578 - 10/25/04 11:05 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

in regards to the PA Libertarian candidate for state treasurer:

ROFL!! I'll try to add some substance to this thread tommorow but
for now, thanks for the link Mush, what a monstrosity this guy is.

He may have some ideas I disagree with, but I think he makes up for
it with his good looks.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #3277633 - 10/25/04 11:22 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:

:rotfl:

THAT guy's Libertarian?  He sounds more like one of those crazy Religious Right people that are the reason many Libertarians left the Republican party in the first place.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #3277972 - 10/26/04 01:48 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
judging from the recent polls it seems that there are people here who prefer republicans over libertarians, or at least W over badnarik.

my question for the republicans here is... why?

I supported the war in Iraq, and I don't think we should have an isolationist foreign policy.

I don't really have a big problem with the Patriot Act. To me the welfare of millions of people is more important than the rights of somebody to act like a terrorist with impunity.

I think Libertarians are too laize fair to the point it is irresponsible. I think we should have a Consumer Protection Agency and an EPA, and I don't think all weapons should be legal. Nor do I believe legalizing prostitution would do any good.

I don't think we should give all public land over to private industries. Also, I think we should have more taxes on SUVs and driving with a cell phone should have a heavy fine (x4 if in an SUV or large truck). (yes I don't really agree with most Republicans on this either, but it makes me less inclined to be libertarian)

I'm not an authoritarian, I just think that at some point too much liberty starts to take away liberty, but you don't want the government running your life. There must be an equilibrium.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

OfflineMapleLeafRag
Mycophant
Re: republicans - why not the libertarian party? [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3278118 - 10/26/04 02:52 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

To me, the best government is a SMALL government. That's why I vote Republican. I would vote libertarian is some circumstances, except for that I agree with previous protesters that an isolationist foreign policy is extremely dangerous. When we isolate ourselves, it forces other countries to do so as well. In World War II, Japan went invading because it had exhausted its own resources and needed another's. Same with Germany. Free trade and alliances are vital to the strength of our country.

In addition, we face an enemy that will not stop killing until they have obtained their goal: the Islamization of the world. The idea that peace and love and non-violence can win this conflict is preposterous. You can love a terrorist and hold up a sign silently, or even attempt to negotiate, but in the end you will submit to Allah or you will die. Simple as that. The solution? Kill them before they kill you. Or, be willing to give up your freedom. Neither is an acceptable solution for the vast majority of people, I believe. A war on terrorism is essential to the preservation of freedom around the world. It is no less essential than the war against Nazism or the war against communism. This is yet another threat that will either consume the world, or be destroyed by those with the balls to stand up and fight. Bush is easily the candidate with the most balls to go to war, and do what is necessary, regardless of the crap he has to take from ignorant americans who either don't understand the gravity of the situation, or who don't care.

The only thing I have to say about social/economic policy is that trickle-down economics most certainly works. During the Reagan years, tax rates fell but the overall revenue remained the same. Why? Because business were ABLE TO GROW as a result of less taxation, and the added profit meant more taxable income. When the rich get richer, the government gets richer, the little guy gets richer. As for evidence, take for example the admonishment of recent Nobel Prize in Economics winner Edward Prescott, who complained that the Bush tax cuts were TOO SMALL to substantially stimulate growth.

Taxing the rich to give the poor sounds rosy and fair and just at surface level, but if you trace the flow of money in the american system, the necessity of the rich and the necessity of the ABILITY to get rich become clear. Our population will grow whether our wealth does or not, and social programs will only get more and more expensive (especially without competition from the private sector in a lot of cases). There MUST be wealth-generating power in our country for it not to collapse. Big corporations, big profit, big money, is good for everyone.

Anybody complaining about the rich-poor gap that isn't disabled or otherwise unable to work needs to get a job, get off welfare, pay for their own expenses, stop using other people's hard earned money, and contribute to society. Can't find a job? Voting to hurt businesses and corporations that provide the jobs in the first place won't improve anything. When businesses grow, more labor is needed, more jobs are created, its as simple as anything can be to understand.

People who don't like Bush should vote for him anyways, because Kerry is essentially the lo-calorie version of Bush. In order to appease voters, he's flopped around and ended up touting policies that aren't the opposite of Bush's, they just happen to be different and weaker. We don't need a president that we will feel good about. We need a president who will be good for us. Growing kids need meat and spinach and oatmeal, not cotton candy. But thats for a whole different post.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: republicans - why not the libertarian party? [Re: MapleLeafRag]
    #3279047 - 10/26/04 10:55 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MapleLeafRag said:
To me, the best government is a SMALL government. That's why I vote Republican.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds