Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
The Libertarian Party
    #2235643 - 01/12/04 12:05 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Okay, I keep running into them... they don't seem to stand for anything that I don't like. But, I want to know what all you fruitcakes think.

So, as eloquently and concisely as you can, please tell me what you DON'T like about the Libertarians.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: The Libertarian Party [Re: Sclorch]
    #2235646 - 01/12/04 12:08 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I am basically a libertarian when it comes to social issues such as gay marriage, drug laws, and free speech, but I think that their economic ideas look better on paper than they would be if actually implemented. Of course, since there's never been a libertarian government, they have the benefit of the doubt when it comes to whether or not such a government would actually work. Sorry if this isn't very consise. I'll get around to some of the details later.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: The Libertarian Party [Re: silversoul7]
    #2235714 - 01/12/04 12:37 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...&PHPSESSID=

Like silver, im libertarian on social issues but left-wing on economic ones (very important to distinguish the two). Personally, I think protecting those at the bottom of society, even if it means doing things that can be viewed as 'handouts', even if it means taking away the economic freedom of richer folks who would rather not pay that money in taxes, i think the ends justify the means. Libertarians are big-proponents of self-responsibility and believe that those at the bottom made choices of their own free will to be their and others should not be forced to help them since freedom is the (one of the? ) principal intrinsic good.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: The Libertarian Party [Re: Tao]
    #2235789 - 01/12/04 01:03 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry about bringing up old shit... I DID run a search on "Libertarian" in the last 3 months though.

I read a little more closely, and I think I'm about the same as the both of you...

So, I'm back to square one of voting for the lesser evil. Why can't there be a pol. party that agrees with ME? hehehe

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineTao
Village Genius

#2235794 - 01/12/04 01:04 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

cos of the plurality system instead of proportional representation... ;-)

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2235815 - 01/12/04 01:13 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Why can't there be a pol. party that agrees with ME?

Because people are too complex for that many people to agree on every issue. It seems to me that there is more diversity of opinion within the two major parties than there is in any third party.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Re: The Libertarian Party [Re: silversoul7]
    #2235855 - 01/12/04 01:32 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i disagree. the fundamental problem is that really there are four major divisions in political thought, left-right economic and left-right social. yet plurality electoral systems lead to only two major candidates for obvious reasons.

--------------------

InvisibleKid_Orgo
 User Gallery

Loc: Hale-Bopp
    #2246589 - 01/16/04 05:51 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm a member of the Libertarian Party.

I agree most closely with them on social issues. I'm borderline anarchist in that respect.

As far as economics goes, i'm a fucking chemist. What do I know about economics? (I should probably learn, if I am to have an educated opinion).

I do, however, differ from most LP members in that I think there needs to be a safety net for the truly poor,

and that the environment must be protected,
and that the people must be protected from corperations.

I guess it all stems from being dedicated to individual rights.

The right to raise children in an relatively clean environment,
the right to live life without being the bitch of some faceless irresponsible corperation...

--------------------
He was a cowboy in one of the seven days a week fights. No business, no hangout; no friends, nothing; just what you pick up and what you need.

Anonymous

Re: The Libertarian Party [Re: Kid_Orgo]
    #2246850 - 01/16/04 08:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I do, however, differ from most LP members in that I think there needs to be a safety net for the truly poor

i think LP members agree that there should be, but that it needn't be funded through involuntary means.

the right to live life without being the bitch of some faceless irresponsible corperation...

of course you have a right to live without being like that... but if you choose to live like that, it's not the government's business.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2247242 - 01/16/04 11:32 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Sclorch said:
So, as eloquently and concisely as you can, please tell me what you DON'T like about the Libertarians.

They lack a coherent road map to get where they would like to go. For instance, libertarians are in principle opposed to blocking the free movement of people on this planet. However, I see it as foolish to just open up the borders without first dismantling the massive political spoils system based on taxpayer funding of just about everything in order to get votes. The country is headed for bankruptcy, inviting more people in to tax the infrastructure and become net tax consumers is not a rational approach.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: The Libertarian Party [Re: ]
    #2249977 - 01/18/04 07:33 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

i think LP members agree that there should be, but that it needn't be funded through involuntary means.

So you basically choose whether or not to contribute to welfare, healthcare, environmental programs etc?

How is it fair if I choose to contribute but my stingy neighbour doesnt? What if his son ends up on a welfare program that I have contributed to but he has not?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion