Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party
    #1499974 - 04/28/03 03:36 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

A Superior Court judge who is one of the nation's highest-profile critics of the War on Drugs has joined the Libertarian Party.

James Gray, 57, who presides over the Orange County, California Superior Court, became an LP member in mid February.

In a phone conversation with LP Political Director Ron Crickenberger, Gray said he joined because of the Libertarian Party's Drug War Focus Strategy, which seeks to end the War on Drugs at the federal level by 2010.

"Drug Prohibition is the most critical issue facing the world today, and the LP is the only party addressing it," said Gray. "I felt compelled to join."

Crickenberger said Gray's decision to join the LP is "exciting" news.

"Judge Gray isn't just a high-ranking and respected public official, he is one of the country's most articulate critics of Drug Prohibition," he said. "As a judge, he brings credibility, dignity, and insight to the drug law reform movement. It's wonderful and exciting news that he is now a Libertarian Party member."

In joining the LP, Gray "has become one of the party's highest-ranking elected officeholders," with about 2.9 million constituents in Orange County, said Crickenberger.

After joining the party, Gray spoke at the California LP state convention on February 16, and at an LP State Chair's conference in Houston, Texas on February 22-23.

In his speech to the California Libertarians -- and in conversation with Crickenberger -- Gray also said he is considering seeking the LP's 2004 presidential nomination.

"I want to do everything I can do to stop the needless tragedy resulting from our misplaced drug policies," he said.

Gray is the author of Why Our Drug Laws Have Failed and What We Can Do About It: A Judicial Indictment of the War on Drugs. Published in April 2001 by Temple University Press, the book expounds on Gray's premise that "drug policy reform [is] the most important issue facing this great country, and our so-called War on Drugs [is] our biggest failure."

In the book, Gray argues that the War on Drugs has not reduced the amount of illegal drugs available in the country; that it has eroded Americans' civil liberties; and that it makes drugs more dangerous.

As a solution, he advocates "realistic" education about the dangers of drugs, mandatory drug treatment, needle exchange programs, drug decriminalization, and the regulated sale of drugs.

Publishers Weekly said the book is "a scathing jeremiad against the war on drugs," and "provocative and topical."

The book's quality "and the sensible passion of Gray's conclusions will make this a crucial reference for politicians, voters, activists, and law enforcement agencies seeking to reform established policy," said the review.

Gray said he wrote Why Our Drug Laws Have Failed and What We Can Do About It -- and is willing to publicly speak out against the War on Drugs -- because of the grave threat posed by the nation's drug policies.

"Drug Prohibition has failed from every standpoint imaginable: unnecessary prison growth, increased taxes, increased crime and corruption here and abroad, loss of civil liberties, decreased health, [and] diversion of resources," he said.

"I could go on and on. Much of what I see as a judge brings a tear to my eye. The drug war is destroying the fabric of society."

Gray acknowledged that drugs are dangerous, but said, "Many things in our society are dangerous, but making them illegal is not the answer. Does anyone really believe that making tobacco illegal would reduce the harm it causes? What about glue, gasoline, chain saws, and high-cholesterol foods?"

In fact, Gray said he took his anti-drug war position not because he advocates using drugs -- but because he is so opposed to them.

"I hate drugs so much that I want to change our policy so that we can reduce drug usage and the other harms these dangerous drugs are causing," he said. "These drugs could not be made more available than they are under our present system. We can't even keep them out of our prisons, much less off our streets."

Gray was appointed to the Orange County Superior Court by Governor George Deukmejian in 1983, and was re-elected in 1990, 1996, and 2002. Previously, he had served as a judge on the Santa Ana Municipal Court.

He was the winner of the "Judge of the Year" award in 1992 from the Business Litigation Section of the Orange County Bar Association.

In 1998, Gray was a candidate for U.S. House in the Republican primary, losing to former Congressman Robert Dornan.

Outside of court, Gray has worked with the "Stay In School" program; is a co-founder of BLAST (Bert Bylevens Leagues, After School Time) which offers after-school athletic programs for children; and is a co-founder of the Association of Former U.S. Attorneys.

A U.S. Navy veteran, Gray also served in the Peace Corps in Costa Rica for two years and worked as an adjunct professor at Chapman University. He received an undergraduate degree from UCLA in 1966 and a Juris Doctor from the University of Southern California in 1971.

Gray is married and has three children. He a resident of Newport Beach, California.
http://www.lp.org/lpnews/0304/judgegray_joins.html

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: 40oz]
    #1499980 - 04/28/03 03:43 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

That's awesome. I got a boner from reading that.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: Skikid16]
    #1499990 - 04/28/03 03:54 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

www.lp.org
i just registered to vote, with them as my party.

Libertarianism is simplicity itself. It proceeds from a single, quite beautiful, concept of the primacy of individual liberty that, in turn, infuses notions of free markets, limited government, and the importance of property rights.

In terms of public policy, these notions translate into free trade, free immigration, voluntary military service, and user fees instead of taxes. Libertarians argue for legalizing drugs; they are in favor of abortion and against the government prohibition of sex practices among consenting adults. They abhor censorship.

Libertarian thought, with its fluid cultural matrix, offers a better response to some of the knottiest problems of society. It is, especially when contrasted with the conservative cultural matrix, a postmodern attitude.

In fact, it is precisely this postmodernism that enrages conservatives who are uncomfortable with a radical acceptance that, in turn, promotes change and unfamiliarity. Yet no matter how scary (or irritating), libertarian tolerance provides a more efficient mechanism in dealing with those places where economics, politics, and culture clash so intimately.
-- Susan Lee, The Wall Street Journal, February 17, 2003
http://www.lp.org/lpnews/0304/firstword.html

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Edited by fortyounces2freedom (04/28/03 03:55 AM)

Offlinealien-hybrid
Vestal Virgin
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Eire
Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: Skikid16]
    #27940793 - 09/08/22 05:05 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Skikid16 said:
That's awesome.  I got a boner from reading that.   

I did too... I'm glad it's not just me.

--------------------
Psychedelic Beetles

Can you name the person in my avatar image ?
Can you name the film ?
Who did she sleep with ?

Onlinetwighead
mͯó
I'm a teapot

Loc: Glenn Gould's Fuck Windmill Flag
Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: alien-hybrid] * 2
    #27940822 - 09/08/22 05:15 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Libertarians are scum lassiez faire capitalists that would be happy if 99% of the wealth went to 10 people

You can't "free market" your way out of monopolies and anti-competitive price gouging collaborating business cabals.

--------------------
¿Check out some art m8?

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger

Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: 40oz] * 1
    #27940863 - 09/08/22 05:37 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Libertarianism is simplicity itself. It proceeds from a single, quite beautiful, concept of the primacy of individual liberty that, in turn, infuses notions of free markets, limited government, and the importance of property rights.

Property rights ? What happens to all of the public land , BLM , natl Forrest and natl parks when libertarians are in charge ?

--------------------

Offlinealien-hybrid
Vestal Virgin
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Eire
Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: twighead]
    #27941259 - 09/08/22 10:10 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Quote:

twighead said:
Libertarians are scum lassiez faire capitalists that would be happy if 99% of the wealth went to 10 people

You can't "free market" your way out of monopolies and anti-competitive price gouging collaborating business cabals.

I'm afraid twighead is right.
Integrity doesn't seem to endure in the presence of greed.
Especially when the people making the big decisions are psychopaths.

We need to find out which genes are associated with psychopathy, and eliminate them from the human gene pool.

--------------------
Psychedelic Beetles

Can you name the person in my avatar image ?
Can you name the film ?
Who did she sleep with ?

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: alien-hybrid] * 1
    #27941321 - 09/09/22 12:09 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Lol libertarians are scum and we need some ayn rand style eugenics to eliminate them

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Offlinechristopera
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: koods]
    #27941512 - 09/09/22 05:53 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

This thread is 19 years old.

But yeah, American Libertarians haven't panned out.

--------------------
Enjoy the process of your search without succumbing to the pressure of the result.

A Dorito is pizza, change my mind.

Bank and Union with The Shroomery at the Zuul on The internet - now with %'s and things

I’m sorry it had to be me.

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: christopera]
    #27941530 - 09/09/22 06:25 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

They remain the innermost cannon fodder for Repubes....they throw them some "we are almost the same" rethoric before an election in order to expand their base.

Losertarians indeed.

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Edited by SirTripAlot (09/09/22 06:26 AM)

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #27941532 - 09/09/22 06:28 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

And, wear that pin with pride

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

Edited by SirTripAlot (09/09/22 06:29 AM)

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #27941534 - 09/09/22 06:31 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

On third thought, I make phony pins for the Libertarian party and sell them to any swinging dick, thereby circumventing their dues....lazze Faire capitalism!

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger

#27941542 - 09/09/22 06:43 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Wow I was so stoned last night I didn't even notice how old this shit is . Vaporizers are wild these days .

--------------------

Invisiblechopstick
nobody
Male

Loc: Chin's Wok
Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: koods]
    #27941577 - 09/09/22 07:23 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Lol libertarians are scum and we need some ayn rand style eugenics to eliminate them

"Everyone who isn't a brainwashed, hate filled cuck that wishes death on anyone and everyone like me is scum" - Koods

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: twighead] * 3
    #27941624 - 09/09/22 08:07 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Quote:

twighead said:

This.

And judging by the few libertarian outlets I’ve seen weeping about the death of a monarch in England, I have serious reservations about their stance on limited government.

Libertarian is just what right wingers call themselves when they don’t want to be associated with the GOP.

--------------------

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: The Ecstatic] * 1
    #27941714 - 09/09/22 09:35 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

When somebody at the bar says "liberty" rather than "freedom" my blood pressure rises a bit, and then I put a quarter on the pool table.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

The worst thing about corruption is that it works so well,

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: alien-hybrid]
    #27941824 - 09/09/22 11:27 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Psychopathy is the next phase of evolution.  Your kind will be extinct soon enough.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger

Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: Brian Jones]
    #27941825 - 09/09/22 11:27 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

I feel like shit really took a turn for the libertarian movement when Ron Paul had the press conference where people cheered on the idea of letting people who couldn't afford healthcare die .
  Too much liberty .

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: Psilynut2]
    #27941830 - 09/09/22 11:30 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

As long as there are no restrictions on our ability to buy and use medical equipment and supplies, I'd be okay with that.  If "afford healthcare" means I have to hire someone licensed by the state, then I'd have to disagree

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: Anti-Drug War superior court judge becomes Libertarian Party [Re: chopstick]
    #27941941 - 09/09/22 12:52 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Quote:

chopstick said:
Quote:

koods said:

"Everyone who isn't a brainwashed, hate filled cuck that wishes death on anyone and everyone like me is scum" - Koods

I was paraphrasing the previous post you ditz

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale