Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

Loc: Washington State
BOREALIS rocks my world! Check it!
    #3240566 - 10/10/04 09:03 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

FINALLY!    :dancing:

Left a post on the 2004 link that is goin'!

So friggin cool when you finally see what they are!  You know they're right! 

My bud with his special decoration!

And one of my trays ready to dry.  Not as big and beautiful as what Borealis and partner found...but....COOL...nonetheless!!!!!

My eyes have been opened!  I see the shrooms!!!  :mushroom2:

We need rain!  So many pins!

Question on harvesting.

Do you cut them with your knives or pull them straight out of the mycilium???  I've always tried to cut whatever I harvest to save the base...but I've heard it really doesn't mess it up as well. 

Opinions???

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

I STILL want to identify and harvest Liberty Caps.  Just 'cause I wanna know what they look like!

I am stoked!  :dancing:

L

--------------------
"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBorealis
Riverdog

Loc: PNW
Re: BOREALIS rocks my world! Check it! [Re: freedomseeker]
    #3240614 - 10/10/04 09:14 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Don't pull them out of the ground. Cut the base next to the dirt with scissors or a sharp knife. This will allow the mycelium to stay intact and the fruiting to occur again (and possible 2 or three more times.)

--------------------
Freedom of information... act.

Chasing Sunsets.

Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

Re: BOREALIS rocks my world! Check it! [Re: Borealis]
    #3240632 - 10/10/04 09:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks!

L

--------------------
Mahatma Gandhi

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

#3240820 - 10/10/04 10:19 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yeah dude, use dem scissors and let those pins grow!

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: SA
Re: BOREALIS rocks my world! Check it! [Re: Psilygirl]
    #3241962 - 10/11/04 04:06 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i beg to differ. I heard from a fairly knowledgable gnome that the mycelium actually consumes all/most the nutrients from the substrate prior to fruiting. As soon as all nutrients are exhausted the patch will pretty much dissapear even if the myc is still intact, that is until new chips have been added.

Also when you take it out with substrate and mycelium still attached, simply remove myc and substrate from the shroom and transplant it near your area (in the correct woodchips around 7-10cm deep should do) the myc then should start colonizing the other woodchips and bingo a new patch.

nice patch there and enjoy those beauts.

cyanarah!

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Bless the Lord, O my soul O my soul Worship His holy name.

OfflineMarcd046
Captain CiderConnoisseur

Loc: North East, Uk
Re: BOREALIS rocks my world! Check it! [Re: OOISI]
    #3242169 - 10/11/04 07:30 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Nice finds!  :crazy2:

--------------------

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

#3242677 - 10/11/04 11:34 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

um, no.  while i agree it takes alot of nutrients to fruit, it still consumes nutrients while in the growing process.  IMHO you should wait till full maturity to pick them.  but do as you please, i guess.

and most my patches will fruit all season long if you take care of them!  theres no real reason they shouldnt.

now, from season to season they might exhuast the nutrients which i have discovered to be true this season; alot of my patches look spent.

and if you're doing a transplant, then by all means do a transplant.  i was just suggesting to take care of your patches better than that. 

do whatever you want. :smirk:

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

#3245386 - 10/11/04 10:00 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Appreciate the feedback!  Hey psilygirl...the dude in the picture is not me...it's my shrooming partner...I am a she!  *grin.....but you can call me dude if you want to!  :smile:

Yea...I thought about pulling vs. cutting today and it seems like it would be similar to botany.  If I want to harvest certain plants but can continue to get future, perhaps less fruitful, but future harvests...I would clip off the leaves, or harvest the main head of broccoli, or flowers or spinach or......and the roots would be left in tact.  Then, with a good environment...the plants would produce a second or even third flush of...whatever I was growing.

Although I realize that mycelium is not exactly a root...it makes sense to me to nurture my little patch of shroom heaven and care for it the best way I can so it has the opportunity to poduce more 'fruit.' 

So I will choose to love my little patch and see the season through. :inlove:  This is how I learn.  Trial and error.  Trying to be respectful of the place I get something from the earth.

Yea, yea...hippy talk...I know!

I sure know ONE thing...

.... I'm gonna ask those Asblund tree chopper dudes to dump a load of chips on my land next time I see them!  :laugh: 

L

--------------------
Mahatma Gandhi

OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

#3245444 - 10/11/04 10:10 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yeah!!  another female picker!!! shine on!! :sun:

yes, it is all a learning process, no worries.  thats what life is all about!  the people here at the shroomery come to learn through experience.

glad to have you here!!

:sun:
Psily

--------------------

InvisibleBorealis
Riverdog

#3245524 - 10/11/04 10:24 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The Asplund guys will know if it's alder, maple or cedar. I heard maple works too, but don't quote me. I would think a mix of maple and alder would be good, if you could get so lucky. :smirk: No cedar. It's too acidic, even in a mix. I'm glad to hear you're learning and enjoying yourself. Me too!

--------------------
Freedom of information... act.

Chasing Sunsets.

Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

Re: BOREALIS rocks my world! Check it! [Re: Borealis]
    #3245683 - 10/11/04 11:06 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

:flowers:

Thanks guys!  Glad to be here!

L

--------------------
Mahatma Gandhi

Edited by freedomseeker (10/11/04 11:07 PM)

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: SA
    #3246057 - 10/12/04 12:57 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

ok, i never said anything about picking them unmature though, quote me if im wrong. yeah i dont pick em all like that, bout 5 or less not usually from the same patch either. I use the myc of that to clone a colony on cardboard, in my oppinion its more productive as the patches will recover the myc quickly. Never actually transplanted but heard its effective also. Of course you have to include the factor that your taking away, whatever amount of myc you have taken which lessens the size of the patch, accordingly but thats a given. After considering that, i think its all good.

Looking at your pic, you seem to only have grabbed little myc, so that isnt anything to worry about, excluding those pins it looks ok to me.

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Bless the Lord, O my soul O my soul Worship His holy name.

Offlinemeadownymph
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3248849 - 10/12/04 07:38 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I love chick pickers....lol, I'm one too!

OfflineSweetLeaf
"33"
 User Gallery

Loc: wa
Re: BOREALIS rocks my world! Check it! [Re: meadownymph]
    #3249390 - 10/12/04 09:16 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

There are actually quite a few different hard woods cyans can grow on, I'm sure alder, birch, and maple, all support cyans. Theres also no solid way to tell chopped up hardwood (that I've heard of), so you could be picking them off these wood types and not know. I have a small homemade patch that has been growing off maple, and I cover it with fresh maple limbs in the spring. Alder is not the only tree that are introduced to the chopper so to speak, though probably the most frequent cause it grows like a frickin weed.

Nice pics too! Supposed to rain saturday and sunday says steve pool, but his predictions almost always come early. I plan to hit up Seattle this weekend, woohoo! :cool:

--------------------
Ph.dizzle

Edited by SweetLeaf (10/12/04 09:17 PM)

Offlinefreedomseeker
Crazy old lady!

Re: BOREALIS rocks my world! Check it! [Re: meadownymph]
    #3249457 - 10/12/04 09:25 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I figured with a name like meadownymph that you probably were!

...then again...some guys are more touchy feely than others. :wink:  So you never know.  And of course I wouldn't want to be sexist.  :smile:

Chicks who love fungus are cool!

Yea...about the chipped wood bits.  They almost always are having to trim the Alder and the Maples where my land is.  That one load I got I am CERTAIN (now) that it was cyans that grew all over that mountain of chips a couple years after they dumped it.

I thought I could have them dump the load where it won't be in the way and it can happily grow it's mycilium.

MAN>...I HOPE it rains soon!  Those pins are shrinking from all the heat.  I checked them today.  Sad.  We gotta get busy doing those rain dances we did last week!

L :dancing: :dancing:

--------------------
Mahatma Gandhi

Edited by freedomseeker (10/12/04 09:34 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds