Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

#2822494 - 06/24/04 12:04 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, im new here... and have been interested in hunting down mushrooms for a long, long time... and have only just got the motivation to do so, and i've got a few quick questions that would really really help me out... I know this has probably been asked here before, but im lost as to where/what to search for to find the answer im looking for.. and im sure it will only take a few minutes of your time to answer, and i would greatly appreciate any kind of help...now the questions.

1) i've been hunting around mulchy areas in Auckland NewZealand lately and have found a few patches of P. Sub or a species very familiar to, but the problem is, they're all very popular by the looks of the ravaged ground and lack of mushrooms, yet there's enough mycelia to produce 1000's upon 1000's of mushrooms, I managed to come away with about 50, very small ones yeilding a decent trip i must add... but, the problem is that, i want more!... so, i thought of taking not all, but a decent square foot of fruiting mycelium back to my house, and either planting it in a plantpot or, the ground along with some more, fresh mulchy woodchips...and im wondering desperately if this method will work.
I was carefull at digging it up, and managed to transplant it with mushrooms still fruiting from where it had been for god knows how long, it's now in a plantpot with about 5 mushrooms still attached to the mycelium, it doesnt seem that they're growing any further but this was a day ago...and im taking how long they actually take to pop out of the ground into consideration.
now, i'd really like to know IF the soil/mulch.. will continue to produce, because i don't see any reason why not.. Im keeping it outside where they naturally grow... and i need some reassurance as to if they will keep fruiting, with a little bit of help..
2)should i water the mulch slightly or should i leave it be untill the next rainfall, which was today fortunately... I know im asking alot but, im so interested in this idea of transplanting the soil/mulch and having my very own personal patch, without having to cultivate and spend a fair amount on supplies, which i'll probably end up doing if this doesnt work out like i'd hoped... but, please, if anyone of you have any answers for me, any advice... i'd appreciate it so much.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Karizma (06/24/04 12:06 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator

Re: Transplanting [Re: Karizma]
    #2822524 - 06/24/04 12:14 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I think relocating is a good idea - i havn't tried yet myself. I was wondering about collecting spores from prints, mixing them with water and putting the lot into a pump action spay bottle and seeing if a could have success by spraying good looking growing sites.

Any comments anyone?

Re: Transplanting [Re: benzene]
    #2822546 - 06/24/04 12:22 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yup i've had many ideas of the like, I was thinking of finding a decent sized spore'able mushroom/s from the patch and "germinating" my relocated patch with nice new spores... That should definately work, but what im worrying about moreso... is the size of the transplant, meaning its in a relatively small garden pot(small as in not tiny but enough to fit a decent hand full of unscathed mulch)
youre idea is also a bloody good idea, a spray bottle!.. genious!

The patch i have in my pot, has a big chunk of semi'dead mushrooms from when i went picking... i used scissors to cut the stems so i made sure of doing no damage to the mycelia/mulch... its still in the same condition as when i walked past it in amazement.

Re: Transplanting [Re: Karizma]
    #2822996 - 06/24/04 04:05 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Everwhere we have been hunting the last few weeks, we have taken a super soaker full of spore water (made preferably by adding a teaspoon of honey to a jar of water, boiling till sterilised, then allowing spores to grow in the water for a few weeks - or sometimes just by scraping a spore print into a bottle of sterilised water) and squirting it at every likely looking spot :wink:

I also think it might be an idea to get a bunch of cakes going, then planting them back into the wild. Last week I took prints from a local variety from a small patch, and am planning on giving it a helping hand colonising the area :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification