Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFitzera
Stranger
Loc: Beautiful British Columbi...
transplanting
    #2198020 - 12/23/03 04:46 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

is it possible to transplant a peice of grass with a small patch of shrooms from one spot to another spot, in the same climate? im wondering this because i know of a spot in my town with "bluebells" and lots of them, and i want to transplant a peice of that grass with the shrooms to my own backyard. possible to do succesfully?

--------------------
i dont know, but it sounds good to me

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: transplanting [Re: Fitzera]
    #2198074 - 12/23/03 05:13 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

this is often done. it is not usually possible to transplant to indoors for any length of time. when transplanting, it is also advisable to add a little food of the type they are allready feeding on. in this case some straw or dry grass stalks, perhaps chopped up. i have successfully transplanted several species of wild mushroom in the way described.

note. please do not use common names of mushrooms, as they are readily confused.

second note, take lots of your transplant colony, and leave some along with more food in the hole, so that the mushroom gods be pleased, and more will continue to grow in that site.

Offlineaje
Why not?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
Re: transplanting [Re: tchyted]
    #2198756 - 12/24/03 12:14 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i dont know if its possible but if i were to try it i'd make sure to dig a good amount of the surrounding soil to make sure you get a good amount of the mycelium and also, if mycelium is growing in that soil, it can grow more in that soil (theoretically). and yes when you "plant" it, make sure theres lots of nutrients in the soil. you might want to put a bunch of BRF or something in.

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #2199342 - 12/24/03 09:36 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Why destroy a natural patch and accept the (very, very large) risk that the transplanted patch won't survive? I'd create an outdoor patch with homegrown cyanescens or start growing cubensis indoors. By far a larger chance of success and you don't need to destory one of nature's own patches.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2199763 - 12/24/03 03:04 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

listen to koraks, as aside from the point about common names, his was the only advice worth taking in this thread.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: transplanting [Re: canid]
    #2199897 - 12/24/03 05:28 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I second Con retes advice.

However,m a word of caution, only about 2-3 out of a possible 10 transplants of P. cuyanescens work. P. zurescens on the other hand has successful transplants for two to three years and then they fade away.

mj

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #2201378 - 12/25/03 11:54 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

the best reason to transplant a part of a natural patch is to assure the survival of the desired mushroom. if it is a cyan patch, then there is an extreamly low probability that it is a "wild" natural patch. extreamly low. yet cyans in the northwest and BC tend to take to transplanting very well with little human intervention other than an annual resupply of food in the spring, and perhaps some water during the summer dry spell.

cyans like wood and paper, like bits of cardboard, axe-chopped alder or weathered douglas fir. if you place wood chips into the donor patch, and cover with a thin layer of whatever dirt is there, the risk to the parent patch is acceptable. success rates on transplanting are near perfect in your locale, not the low rate stated above.

stamet's books have detailed instructions.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: transplanting [Re: tchyted]
    #2201406 - 12/26/03 12:15 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

the fact remains that it is more reliable and of lower impact to take a small tissue sample and culture it, inoculate spawn, and use that to inoculate a new patch.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification