Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewordforhire
Stranger
Loc: oregon
Oregon hunters check in....
    #2045141 - 10/26/03 03:49 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Anyone had any luck finding any actives this season? Here in the portland area we haven't had any rain this past month. I have made a few trips to the coast and had no luck there either, except for some aminita and edibles. We could sure use some rain anytime soon. I would really like to find some cyans since it's too early for azurs. When we get a good dumping of rain do the cyans come up as much as the Seattle, Bellingham areas? Anyone have any idea where the closest place to hunt cyans is? I am thinking about making a trip up to Olympia this week hopefully I can locate something up there.

....praying for the rain.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWiener
The Jesus

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Oregon hunters check in.... [Re: wordforhire]
    #2045159 - 10/26/03 03:54 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

It's rained here quite a few times in the past few weeks, actually. I've been sort of hunting everywhere I go, just scanning the land around me. I found some mushrooms that looked somewhat like semilceanta yesterday but they had all died and dried up, and those that hadn't were only pinning out of the ground. But on a positive note, the dried up ones were blue-grey. I'm going back to the same place when it rains.

As for cyans, that's what I'm looking for too. If they grow half as much here as they do around mjshroomer then we're in luck. Everywhere I've looked I've found nothing promising.

--------------------
Happy Trails!

OfflineWiener
The Jesus

Re: Oregon hunters check in.... [Re: Wiener]
    #2045263 - 10/26/03 04:37 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Here, it looks like Tuesday is our only hope:

10 day P-Town forecast

Or...do we need a good rain, where the sky basically shits it down?

--------------------
Happy Trails!

Offlinedavidg47
Bellinghamster
Loc: Bellingham
    #2046011 - 10/26/03 10:57 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I'm from bellingham and I've found a nice grip of cyans this season, but I was in oregon on the 19th and went to the coast. Had moderate success to the tune of 100 or so azures. They weren't in the well-known places, but with some perseverance and effort, you'll at least find the azurescens. I don't know about the state of cyans in oregon, but with the temps I've been seeing for portland, I'd say wait another 2-3 weeks and pray for some rain. I'd imagine they're just as prolific down there as they are up here, just slightly delayed. Good luck, happy hunting.

--------------------
"You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink (or mushroom)"

OfflineWerecat
Werecat

Re: Oregon hunters check in.... [Re: davidg47]
    #2047207 - 10/27/03 11:30 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

From the sound of the Seattle/Bellingham posts I'd say Portland area Cyans are just as prolific - those and Stunzii. I've not found any yet anywhere I've looked, and I have checked some spots that were pretty prolific. My guess is temperature. We're having September temps (if not late August) with these record highs in the 70s and such!
Rain + a week of temps at normal this time of year (mid-upper 50's for highs) and I bet the cyans will be out in force!

Side question - has anyone found a beayocistis (sp) in the Portland area? Maybe I am not looking in the right spots, but I'd like to find one some time to clone and potentially see if I can make a re-curring beaobed.

No azeurs in usual spots. I did find 3 but it took a lot of digging around in beachgrass. I didn't have the patience to continue - at the rate I found those I'd have taken all day to find 10 or so!

Loads of edibles around (burp) - got my biggest hall of chantrelles ever a while back. Found a load of Boletus Mirrabilus (sp) last weekend before the Oregon Mycology society show (which was a hit).

Matsutake are fruiting by the way - within 100 miles of Portland (that is ALL the hint I give for those gems). Amanita Verosa and Phollaides (I hate spelling) also is fruting. Good idea to find some of each and get a GOOD look at mushies NOT to eat (they are both rather good looking anyway).

Edited by Werecat (10/27/03 11:33 AM)

OfflineWiener
The Jesus

Re: Oregon hunters check in.... [Re: Werecat]
    #2047245 - 10/27/03 11:51 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Well this question is for more experienced hunters in the Portland area:

Would I be able to find cyanescens within the city limits, like in gardens and parks, or would I have to do a little driving? I say this because I'm within walking/bus distance of many city parks that have lots of trees, wood chips, etc. and my neighborhood is full of mulched gardens and such.

--------------------
Happy Trails!

Offlinenightowl
nightowl
Loc: Puget Sound
    #2047618 - 10/27/03 01:50 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I have been seriously searching all the spots I found cyans last year and have only found 8-9. Most spots had nothing. I do not think someone else is beating me to all of them so I think they are just beginning to fruit here in Seattle. Unfortunately it is going to freeze this Thurs and Fri night, I only hope that does not hurt them.

It was so dry this summer I wonder if there will be much of a crop this year? The total edibles and pretty junk mushrooms are way down here now too. If we get a few more days of rain and not below freezing at night, I think we may get a big rush of everything, but there sure are a lot of variables that come into play.

I moved chips from fruiting areas at the end of the season to about 30 new good looking spots but have not found any cyans or mycelium at the places I tried to do a transplant. So don't know if it will work or if the year was soooooo dry this year that they could not get a good growth of mycelium over the summer. Any ideas?

I spent so much time driving to Oregon last year searching for azures with no success that I am beginning to wonder if you are all putting me on that they exist? Are those photos all created in "photoshop"? Please reassure me that my persistence will pay off eventually.

-nightowl

Anonymous

deleted [Re: nightowl]
    #2048187 - 10/27/03 06:37 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

deleted

OfflineWerecat
Werecat

Re: Oregon hunters check in.... [Re: ]
    #2050779 - 10/28/03 02:11 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Not to give away my spots in Porltand, but I would say that within a short walk of the bus mall down town you should be able to find cyan's when they are fruiting (soon). Portland is full of parks and buildings have landscaping around them, lots of rhododenderons and bark dust and such. cyans seem to like it under rhodeys. By Tri-met on a good day you should be able to pick plenty of cyans. Look at a map of green spaces and parks. Keep your eyes open.
The temperature is supposed to drop drastically and a cold rain will be falling later this week, followed by clearing. Cyans aught to be up next week in droves in Porltand if the forcast is right!

OfflineWiener
The Jesus

#2051294 - 10/28/03 06:23 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks Werecat! Great help, especially the rhododendron tip. But, for a newbie to hunting like myself, any other tips perchance?

--------------------
Happy Trails!

Offlineshroominsmurf
enthusiast
Loc: Where The Good Times Are
    #2064864 - 11/02/03 12:09 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

yeah im fairly new to mushroom hunting, if anyone wants to meet up and go pickin i would be down totally. i got some good ebible spots but thats about it. anyways PM

OfflineWerecat
Werecat

Re: Oregon hunters check in.... [Re: shroominsmurf]
    #2067965 - 11/03/03 12:23 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hmm. Here is a spot that I have never checked but seems to be a likely place to look as there are lots of rhodies and such around and different habitats - different ground covers, etc. Try the Rose Garden up in Washington park (not the Blazers arena though you could probably get weed there from the players).
I really should go check it out myself up there and probably will this Saturday. Maybe see you there.

OfflineWiener
The Jesus

#2068791 - 11/03/03 08:12 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I'm going to be trying a few parks in NE Portland as soon as we get a decent rain. They're all relatively small so I won't mention names.

--------------------
Happy Trails!

Offlinewordforhire
Stranger
    #2068851 - 11/03/03 08:37 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

"Try the Rose Garden up in Washington park (not the Blazers arena though you could probably get weed there from the players)."

I actually picked my first actives a few years back in this little patch of grass about a block away from the rose garden arena. We still could use alot more rain. I lucked out and found a patch of cyans near the coast. I went looking at the rose gardens about a month ago and didn't find anything. Is this cold weather going to effect anything? So far this season has really sucked for Oregon.

Offlinecaolite
Ambient Drone

Loc: Second star on the right.
    #2069053 - 11/03/03 10:24 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hehe I am in the NE, I have also kept my eyes open in a few rather dirt/plant filled sections of nw, but I so far have not seen anything.

OfflineWerecat
Werecat

Re: Oregon hunters check in.... [Re: caolite]
    #2069937 - 11/04/03 09:48 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Well now. I did a bit of looking around yesterday and found nothing interesting. I think the rain has been sufficient though with the weird ass temperatures in the 80's as late as mid October it may have totally confused the mushies! I would think that after the frost(s) we'd get Cyans and Stunzii's once typicaly weather returned (whatever the heck "typical" is anymore - 2 weeks ago in the 80's, snowing last weekend!).
One of the biggest finds of Stunzii I have EVER had (and it was huge) was in the new land scaping of one of the discount shopping stores. Thousands of them - and a few galarinas just to make things intersting - fruited after a good frost and return to rain.
Keeping both eyes open 100% of the time as you walk or even ride the bus is the best thing to do. I have found Cyan's via Tri-met!

OfflineWiener
The Jesus

#2070065 - 11/04/03 11:51 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, it was snowing today! Not sticking, nor is it even snowing much at all, but still. I hope for a good rain, then I will go searching.

--------------------
Happy Trails!

Offlinefidget
Fungus Hunter
Male

Loc: Oregon
    #2070599 - 11/04/03 06:08 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hey everbody. I havent posted in a long time. But i am back and I have found cyans in washington park in the past. I have checked my usual spots, but i have found nothing yet this year. I hear the Astoria has been very short on the Azure's so far this year as well. Let me know if you all have any luck. PM me....

Edited by Gumby: You got a little to specific with that one, please review the rules to see what is acceptable.

--------------------
- fidget

"With ordinary consciousness you can't even begin to know what's happening."

Edited by GumbyDude (11/04/03 06:14 PM)

OfflineWiener
The Jesus

Re: Oregon hunters check in.... [Re: fidget]
    #2071046 - 11/04/03 07:58 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Just out of curiousity, no one here with spots would be wiling to give up any if the reciever of said information was willing to adhere to any rules/guidelines, would they? Or is it against the rules?

--------------------
Happy Trails!

Offlinecaolite
Ambient Drone

#2071302 - 11/04/03 09:02 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I think I ran across quite the little patch today.... I have some picked for samples but I am unsure if my digital camera will be clear enough. They were pretty small and kind of shrunken it seems from the weather, as some seemed to have a semi flat top as opposed to the round top one might expect. However I was thinking the frost and the really cold weather could have shiveled them, as one of them I could see a small amount of water that had collected on it's top.

I will post some picsi n a bit though. They are really dark brown now, but they kind of started out that way. Right after I picked them if there was any blue or purpleish change, I think it would have been too hard for me to tell, although it is possible on one of the lighter spots of the mushie I saw a change of that hue, I could be wrong though, anyways, lemme get the pics...

Also, what are your tips for picking when they are within some bushy area along a rather busy road downtown, do you just go and pick them and then walk away, like a hit and run style or what? Would it seem odd or suspicious for you to be kind of digging around in the plants next to the road?

I also walked down along the grass/trees near the river from burnside to that mansion thingy, long stretch, but didn't really see much of anything. There are still so many places to look though.

Offlinecaolite
Ambient Drone

#2071428 - 11/04/03 09:34 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

ok this is just great... my stupid 2.0 digital camera cannot get good pics of these mushies because when I get close to them it just tends to blur the pictures, which wont help any of you at all, I guess I shall keep trying though. Nothings worse than wondering if the patch you found was active or just some random fungi...

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2072927 - 11/05/03 11:03 AM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I have taken great digital pictures with my 2 megapixel pentax camera.

Here is one example of a good photo of 1 and a half inch high mushrooms.

and another wqith a 2 megapixewl camera, a cheap camera at that

mj

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #2073662 - 11/05/03 02:47 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

You might want to look in the manual that came with your camera and read up on the macro features... You use macro to take close up pics.

Offlinecaolite
Ambient Drone

Re: Oregon hunters check in.... [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2073670 - 11/05/03 02:49 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

hmm I wonder what I am doing wrong... maybe it is just such a cheapo camera... It just doesn't want to focus and just gives a blurry picture. It is a concord Duo2000, it has a "$x digital zoom" and below that it says 9.9mm f/3.2 and I dunno what that means. Maybe I can look at the manuel again and see if it says anything about blurry pics... The funn thing is, when I take pic from a distance, they usually come out pretty sharp and all, but these are too small to take a pic from that far away I feel.

Any time I have tried ot take a good non blurry pic of something up close it doesn't work right. I will try to figure out something, because I still have these 4 little mushies, and I will be damed if I let a possible patch be passed by because I don't know if they are active or not.

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK Flag
    #2073697 - 11/05/03 02:56 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

if i seen em in person i could tell ya whats up but i moved from portland back to vancouver

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

OfflineWerecat
Werecat

#2074242 - 11/05/03 05:48 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Hmm. Well it may mean nothing to those interested in only actives but the Oregon Mycology society just cancelled all the rest of their foraging trips until spring due to the recent freezes.
I suppose they should know what they're talking about but I know that if we get back to (relatively) warm rain all frost damage typically goes away as the mcyellium recovers. Ringers don't seem to care about frost though, with the rain coming (supposedly) I bet next week I'll find some in a nearby shopping center landscaping!

Where are the shaggy manes this year? I know they are not active but they are very good with scrambled eggs and Tillamook extra sharp white cheddar!

OfflineWiener
The Jesus

#2074283 - 11/05/03 06:00 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Thank God!

I've been expecting this. How bad do you think cyans will be affected by this cold, Werecat?

--------------------
Happy Trails!

Offlinewordforhire
Stranger
    #2074301 - 11/05/03 06:05 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

If the irony wasn't enough already, check out the soil moisture for Oregon-

http://www.weather.com/maps/activity/garden/northwestussoilmoisture_large.html

OfflineWiener
The Jesus

#2074311 - 11/05/03 06:08 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Nice. And hey, the soil moisture looks good around here

--------------------
Happy Trails!

OfflineWerecat
Werecat

#2076955 - 11/06/03 12:25 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

I know that cyans fruiting will NOT like a freeze - they will turn blue/black and die off. That being said I've had a home made cyan bed quit fruiting for several weeks after a frost then begin fruiting again once rain and warmer weather came back (took 2-3 weeks). I assume that the mycellium started to grow and recovered from frost damage and since fruiting conditions were present again...presto! Mushrooms!
This extended drying and east wind concerns me more than the cold. I bet we'll need some good rain and a few weeks to get back to fruting condition for cyans AND stunzii's.
We shall see...

OfflineYendor
Stranger
Loc: Fairbanks, AK
    #2077703 - 11/06/03 04:38 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Has anyone in the Eugene area had any luck finding cyans or any other species lately? Or did the frost here kill them all off? I checked out Hendricks Park today, and didn't find anything. Barely any mushrooms of any species up there. And another question: when is the best time to pick liberty caps in Oregon?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Oregon hunters check in.... [Re: Yendor]
    #2078037 - 11/06/03 06:08 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Sept through December is there usual season along the highway to Florence around Noti.

mj

Offlinefidget
Fungus Hunter
Male

Loc: Oregon
Re: Oregon hunters check in.... [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2082021 - 11/07/03 07:02 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Anyone willing to give any clues on good spots in the Astoria/Hammond area for picking???

--------------------
- fidget

"With ordinary consciousness you can't even begin to know what's happening."

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Re: Oregon hunters check in.... [Re: fidget]
    #2082550 - 11/07/03 10:13 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

if the sign says dont pick the mushrooms chances are there are shrooms there

--------------------

OfflineWiener
The Jesus

Re: Oregon hunters check in.... [Re: Dobie]
    #2083948 - 11/08/03 12:46 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Portland, OR Weather

I'm going out hunting on Tuesday, and the entire week. Anybody else looking forward to the warm(er) rains?

--------------------
Happy Trails!

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
    #2084017 - 11/08/03 01:11 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

yay i love the rain i wanna get my ass out and hunt but i dont drive no more :frown:

--------------------

OfflineWiener
The Jesus

Re: Oregon hunters check in.... [Re: Dobie]
    #2084032 - 11/08/03 01:16 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

You could go urban hunting for cyans. That's my plan, I'm checking some of the many parks around me.

--------------------
Happy Trails!

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
    #2084324 - 11/08/03 02:53 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

yea but right now im vancouver and i dont know portland for shit all i know is my apartment i live in sometimes is in se i dont know of any parks around i usally go pick azures at the coast

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies