Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMittsWaQ
Tall ass Redhead
Loc: Lawrence, Ks
Growth on perlite?!! Help!!
    #3228853 - 10/07/04 03:59 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I was going to post this in the contamination forum, but I figured it would be looked at more here. OK, to start Ill describe my setup. Ive got a big Rubbermaid with the sides covered in duct tape, with about an inch and a half of perlite on the bottom. I filled the water up to about an inch, with a healthy amount of H202. I initially put this perlite in around 3 weeks ago, and have had a few cakes go through a few flushes. Today I looked and fanned my cakes around 2 o'clock, and everything seemed perfect. Then just a minute ago, around 2 hours later, There is a large spot of growth on the perlite. It was around 3 inches long, and looked almost exactly like ash. I immediately scooped out all the perlite that had anything on it, as well as picked around 4 mushrooms that were ready. Also, one of the mushrooms had a little of this "ash" on the stem, but it wiped off instantly with no residue or anything left behind. I would have taken pictures but I wanted to clean it as soon as possible. I will be checking it very often to see if anything come back. What could it be? Should I clean all the perlite out and buy some more? Please help me and give me any possible info. By the way, the cake looks perfectly healthy, with no signs of anything bad on it. Its produced 35.2 wet grams so far, with hopefully another 35 at least. Thanks for any help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Growth on perlite?!! Help!! [Re: MittsWaQ]
    #3228859 - 10/07/04 04:01 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

you should change your perlite after every flush. wet, dark places are a contam breeding ground.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growth on perlite?!! Help!! [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3228895 - 10/07/04 04:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Wow new perilite every flush? That's about every week/week and a half. Seems a little often to me. I'd go through a full set of casings or two at 3 flushes each before changing.

I always add some h202 to the mix as well.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Growth on perlite?!! Help!! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3228942 - 10/07/04 04:18 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

hrm, i don't have my growth down to that fast yet, so every flush is about 2-3 weeks for me. perhaps 2-3 flushes should be more like it.

don't forget that h2o2 degrades in just days, so it should be added frequently.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineMittsWaQ
Tall ass Redhead
    #3229081 - 10/07/04 04:42 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the quick replies. I also noticed a small balck line growing the length of one of my shrooms. This grew over the same time period as the black stuff.. around 2 hours. I took two pictures of the black lines just to see if anyone could help. These were jsut taken, and are after around 35 wet grams were taken, and this is whats left. I put this big piece of tinfoil down to help isolate the cake from the perlite. I will add some h202 right now, and go see about getting new perlite. If I do that and clean out my whole terrarium with alcohol should I be fine?

It is on the middle shroom if you couldnt see what I was refering to

Edited by MittsWaQ (10/07/04 04:45 PM)

Offlinedjxkon
MycoPimp
 User Gallery
    #3229215 - 10/07/04 05:03 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

what I would do is stay away from perlite all together and switch to casing. How many cakes do have? Anyway, when I first started, which isn't so long ago but, I had cakes on perlite and was having similar problems, also slow fruitung, I took the some of the 2 cakes out to see if this would work... in a tupperware 50% top soil 50% vermiculite wet it to field cap, about an inch deep or more, crumble the cakes into peices about the size of marbles make an even layer on top of your 50/50 mix, then another layer of plain top soil again wet it to field cap, seal it up, let it sit in the dark for 3 to 6 days, open the top spray with 10 - 12 good pumps of water, leave the top off and spray once or twice a day from there.
This method will 5x larger flushes and faster, atleast one flush per week, 3 to 5 flushes.
from 44 1 pint cakes i got....
22 cakes with the TEK your using now I got 96 dried grams
with the other Tek 22 cakes I got almost 250 dried grams.
all in a 7 weeks period.

--------------------
Ravers don't Fall, They Trip and Roll!

Offlineseatrip
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Growth on perlite?!! Help!! [Re: djxkon]
    #3229282 - 10/07/04 05:20 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

hmm what is that dont look like contam to me have you sniffed close to the cake does it seem fine. in the pic it looks like a purple bluish line if its realy black may be bad pick it and check inside it i know sometimes one shroom can contam and cake and others are still good though it was a cap contam

OfflineMittsWaQ
Tall ass Redhead
Re: Growth on perlite?!! Help!! [Re: seatrip]
    #3229563 - 10/07/04 06:24 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Alright, well I was careful and harvested that mushroom with the line on it. i steralized a knife to make sure and get all of it off without harming the others. After I got it off the line was able to be wiped off instantly. I guess I was getting a bit paranoid over the growth on the mushroom, but Im still a little concerned with the perlite growth. Atleast i got it stopped, and hopefully taken care of before it was too late. Thanks for the help. Ill update this If I see any new possible contams over the next few days

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
    #3229623 - 10/07/04 06:34 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I think sniffing is just a bad jou jou. If it's healthy, i guess it'll be okay, just putting your nose that close to check for comtam... that sounds too up close and personal with health risk.

A better way would be fan the air towards your nose with your hand right after you open you terrarium. The stagnant air will most likely to keep the bacterial or sporal contamination settled while the pungent odor would be all over. At least that's how I'd do it.

Just my 2 cents.

Sam

PS no offense, seatrip.

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growth on perlite?!! Help!! [Re: Sam1912]
    #3229710 - 10/07/04 06:51 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I dont see anything odd in that picture at all. What are you refering to? Can you circle it or something?

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

InvisibleNOS4A2
This is the way

Loc: -tite Flag
    #3229770 - 10/07/04 07:04 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I hate to say this because it seems so obvious, but I just want to make sure... Do you think it may be a spore drop. I didn't see anything in the pic but the way you described it, sounds like you might not have seen a spore drop before and haven't made that connection. (not to be taken as insult)

--------------------

OfflineMittsWaQ
Tall ass Redhead
Re: Growth on perlite?!! Help!! [Re: NOS4A2]
    #3230288 - 10/07/04 08:39 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The pictures were just there to show a little of what I saw after I got rid of all the growth on the perlite. I think I over reacted when I saw the cake. i harvested it, and all is well now. Im still not sure what was with the black spot on the perlite. I wish I had got a picture, because it really was a bit scary. I cleaned all the perlite and put more H202, with new perlite, so I think its all good now. Thanks for the help everyone.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3230380 - 10/07/04 08:52 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

I'd bet that NOS nailed it and it was spores dropping.

--------------------

Offlineseatrip
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3238139 - 10/10/04 01:21 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

yep that's what i thought cause it looks purple :yesnod:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract