Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Global Poll shows Kerry leads 5-1 over Bush
    #3199060 - 09/30/04 06:34 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

web page

If the world could cast a vote in the United States presidential election, John Kerry would beat George W. Bush by a landslide, according to a poll released on Wednesday that is described as the largest sample of global opinion on the race.

"It is absolutely clear that John Kerry would win handily if the people of the world could vote," said Steve Kull, director of The Program on International Policy Attitudes of the University of Maryland, a co-sponsor of the survey. "It is rather striking that just one in five people surveyed around the world support the re-election of President Bush."

The poll of 34,330 people older than 15 from all regions of the world found that the majority or plurality of people from 32 countries prefer Kerry to Bush.

Asia was the region showing the most mixed results, although Kerry still did better than Bush. Kerry won clear majorities in China, Indonesia and Japan, but slipped past Bush by only a slight margin in Thailand and India.

The most negative attitude toward the U.S. came from France, Germany and Mexico, where roughly 80 percent of those surveyed thought that the foreign policies of President Bush had made them feel worse about the United States.

In addition to presidential preferences, the poll also inquired about people's views on U.S. foreign policy.

"We found an unusually low level of support for U.S. foreign policy," Kull said. "This runs in line with trends from recent attitude surveys by the Pew Research Center and may have implications when the U.S. wants to move forward on issues with its closest allies."

The polling in a total of 35 countries was conducted by The Program on International Policy Attitudes and the polling company GlobeScan Incorporated during a period ranging from several days to several weeks, starting in mid-May and running through early September.

Most traditional U.S. allies came out strongly favoring Kerry, while only those polled in Nigeria, Poland and the Philippines preferred Bush.

"Even where the president does beat John Kerry, there is no enthusiasm apparent from the numbers," Kull said. "Those countries that support him for re-election also tend not to like his foreign policy."

The only country where Bush received support from more than half of those polled was the Philippines, where 57 percent supported his election, compared with 32 percent who supported Kerry. About one third of those polled in Nigeria and Poland gave their support to Bush, while support for Kerry ran at a margin of about five percentage points lower.

Norway and Germany tied - at 74 percent - as the countries where those polled most strongly support Kerry. Canadians preferred Kerry by a ratio of 61 percent to 16 percent for Bush.

The sample size, running from 500 to 1,800 people per country polled through a variety of means including face-to-face interviews, telephone or Internet was a fair measure of public sentiment, Kull said. Even when adjusted by weight of population in each country, results remained nearly identical, Kull said.

"Our average sample size per country of about 1,000 people is nearly double the number used by Gallup International for their annual Voice-of-the-People Poll," Kull said. "With numbers this robust it would be difficult to conclude anything but a broad feeling of dissatisfaction with Bush and his foreign policy."

Another pattern that became apparent in studying the data was that those people with higher education and more income were more strongly in favor of Kerry, Kull said.

"Those at the top of world society are more negative towards Bush than those at the bottom," Kull said. "The most likely common link is that those who have the most access to information tend be more negative towards Bush than those with less access to information." Overall, only 20 percent of those surveyed supported Bush for a second term, while just under half support Kerry and one third did not express a preference.

"Keep in mind that most people probably know very little about John Kerry," Kull said. "In that way, you can really count the one third who do not support either candidate as holding back their support from Bush." Of the one third responding to the poll who expressed no preference between the candidates, roughly half said that it would make no difference who was elected.

Polling among some traditional U.S. allies found strongly negative attitudes toward Bush.

In Germany, France, Norway, Italy and the Netherlands, the portion polled as supporting Bush amounted to 14 percent or lower, while more than half in each country supported Kerry.

In Britain, where Prime Minister Tony Blair has been the foreign leader most closely allied to U.S. policy in Iraq, those polled preferred Kerry by a margin of 30 percentage points. Of the 1,001 Britons polled by telephone across the country, 47 percent preferred Kerry, while 16 percent preferred Bush.

Among the 12 countries that took part in the war in Iraq as what Bush has termed the "coalition of the willing," only in the Philippines did the majority of those polled prefer Bush. More than half of those polled in seven "coalition of the willing" countries said that U.S. foreign policy was worse under Bush.

The only country in Europe that supported Bush was Poland, where he was preferred by 31 percent, compared with 26 percent for Kerry. But 41 percent of those polled in Poland said that the foreign policy led by Bush had made them feel worse about the United States.

In the Czech Republic, a new ally and member of the Iraq coalition, 42 percent supported Kerry while 18 percent supported Bush.

All 11 Latin American countries polled supported Kerry. While Kerry received support from a bit more than 50 percent of those polled in two countries in the region - Brazil and the Dominican Republic - the spread was wider in other countries. In Venezuela, for example, Kerry received support from 48 percent of those polled while Bush received 22 percent.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: Global Poll shows Kerry leads 5-1 over Bush [Re: Swami]
    #3199128 - 09/30/04 07:26 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Or in other words: People not brainwashed by the jingoistic, manufacturing consent U.S. media, do not like Bush's foreign policies.

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #3199433 - 09/30/04 10:06 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

If they took a poll I'm sure Kim Jong II leads Bush by alot too.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Global Poll shows Kerry leads 5-1 over Bush [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3199441 - 09/30/04 10:08 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Divided_Sky said:

Why must you say such ridiculous things? It's getting hard to take you seriously.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3199513 - 09/30/04 10:36 AM (19 years, 5 months ago)

noone cares what the whole world thinks about a particular president we have (this is not in defense of Bush). Our policies and leaders are not conditional to what the whole world feels. They should worry about their own problems first.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Edited by Innvertigo (09/30/04 10:37 AM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Global Poll shows Kerry leads 5-1 over Bush [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3200113 - 09/30/04 01:38 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

noone cares what the whole world thinks about a particular president we have
There you have it folks. "Noone cares" as if Non-Amerians' or even non-Innvertigites' view of the world has no value. I certainly care. The families of dead Iraqis care as do our allies and enemies.

Our policies and leaders are not conditional to what the whole world feels.
Lack of sensitivity to other viewpoints or other countries will only damage us in the long run. This is a shared planet and this form of arrogance will be our downfall as has been demonstrated quite clearly throughout history.

They should worry about their own problems first.
America's decisions affect the whole world. The rainforest depletion, global warming, the drug war in Columbia, our military "adventures"; etc., ALL affect other nations.

Please explain how alienating our allies will help us to achieve our international goals.

--------------------

InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3200148 - 09/30/04 01:48 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The world can shove it up their ass. I'll be damned if I let some other country tell me who I should vote for to lead my country.

Even if I wasn't a Bush supporter I would laugh my ass off in the faces of other countrys trying to tell me who to vote for. After all who are "they" and do "they" live here??

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#3200272 - 09/30/04 02:15 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

There you have it folks. "Noone cares" as if Non-Amerians' or even non-Innvertigites' view of the world has no value.

I can't be bothered if another country hates us, really. Most Americans don't want other countries dictating what or who we elect and what our policies are. You people whine like little school girls when there is a perceived American influence within your own country. How hypocritical can you be? I'd say a lot. Hey Canadians, how do you feel about the American influence on your drug policy?.....I thought so.

BTW, I love the word "Innvertigites"

Quote:

Lack of sensitivity to other viewpoints or other countries will only damage us in the long run.

HA, no problems were ever solved by being sensitive. Tell that to the countries in the middle east.

Quote:

This is a shared planet and this form of arrogance will be our downfall as has been demonstrated quite clearly throughout history

If this is a shared planet then other countries won't mind if we give them a little dose of American culture. The more the better in my book. It's not arrogance on our end rather we are fed up with other countries thinking they can run our country better when their oown country, more often than not, needs a lot more "fixing"

Quote:

America's decisions affect the whole world. The rainforest depletion, global warming, the drug war in Columbia, our military "adventures"; etc., ALL affect other nations.

Those countries that contain the rainforest have the right to say no to the US. Global warming is a myth as proved over and over again, the drug war is a joke but unfortunatly the last time I remember drugs are only legal in a few countries and our military adventures, whether or not they're helpful, is up for debate.

Quote:

Please explain how alienating our allies will help us to achieve our international goals.

who said anything about alienating (Isolation wouldn't be a bad idea when it concerns our military)? I don't want other countries telling me who and what to vote for.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Global Poll shows Kerry leads 5-1 over Bush [Re: Stein]
    #3200276 - 09/30/04 02:15 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The naivete and immaturity of your first line made stating who you support redundant.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#3200318 - 09/30/04 02:26 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

your ignorance is shown through your assumptions.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #3200331 - 09/30/04 02:28 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

The inhabitants of countries other than the US have the right to express their preference as to which candidate they would prefer to see as president of the US. No one disputes that.

But as Innvertigo says, so what? The inhabitants of countries other than the US do not have the right to vote in US presidential elections, so their opinions are meaningless. So the US voters will do one more thing to piss off non-Americans by re-electing George Bush. Big whoop.

I'm curious to see who "the world" as defined by that poll (in reality an amalgam of respondents in 35 of the 190 countries of the world) would prefer to see as Prime Minister of the UK. Or head cheese of France. Or of Iraq. Or China or Russia or Iran or North Korea or Libya or Syria.

But I'm not holding my breath waiting to see the results of those surveys published anywhere.

Americans elect their president. Accept that fact, suck it up, and move on.

On a side note, Swami, I know you live in Vegas. What's the current Vegas line on the presidential outcome these days? 9 to 7? 7 to 5? Or is it such a forgone conclusion that one can only bet on point spread? If so, what's the spread?

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#3200334 - 09/30/04 02:29 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Simple question: Do you care what your friends think about you?

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#3200361 - 09/30/04 02:36 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Sure I do, but I don't want them to have power over my decisions in my personal life (that would end our friendship). I'm not a follower, I can make my own decisions.

Simple question: Do you want me to make your decisions for you?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #3200431 - 09/30/04 02:53 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

So fucking what.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #3200449 - 09/30/04 02:58 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:

Do I care? Well yes if my friends like me I assume it's because they like me and that we share some common interests. Not because I have a lot of money or because I can get them chicks. If that's why they are my friends then they're not really friends, are they? Will I not do what I think is correct because some of my friends might think I'm wrong? Well, I'll take they're objections under advisement. And then I'll do what I think is right. I will not fail to do what I think is right just because some of my friends disagree. In the end, I am responsible for my behaviour and the consequences therefrom and I will be the one who decides what I will do. After that, you can decide if you want to be my friend or not. C'est la vie.

Wouldn't it be fun if Americans could vote in France's elections?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #3200466 - 09/30/04 03:05 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Global Poll shows Kerry leads 5-1 over Bush [Re: silversoul7]
    #3200574 - 09/30/04 03:46 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Quote:

Divided_Sky said:

Why must you say such ridiculous things? It's getting hard to take you seriously.

Well obviously I wasn't really being serious, but I was thinking back to this opinion poll: http://www.time.com/time/europe/gdml/peace2003.html

and this one: http://www.abc.net.au/america/results/results11.htm
and
also this one: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=35383

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Global Poll shows Kerry leads 5-1 over Bush [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #3200592 - 09/30/04 03:50 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

Well, considering that neither Iraq nor North Korea have been engaging in interventionist foreign policy for quite some time, I can see why the U.S. would be seen as a greater threat to world peace.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisiblemr crisper

#3200674 - 09/30/04 04:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

i quite agree with some of the more eloquent contributors to this thread - it does not matter what the rest of the world thinks about the election - non-americans have no say in the matter.
but the pervasiveness of us culture (is that the right word to describe hollywood movies and macdonalds?) and economic policies affect most people on the planet.
posing such a question to non-americans is as useful as asking -
'will it rain or be sunny?' doesn't matter what they think or want, there aint nothin' they can do about it.

one thing to think about - how many americans feel comfortable about travelling internationally these days?

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
    #3200676 - 09/30/04 04:09 PM (19 years, 5 months ago)

a bit touchy on that?

It was only a poll....they were asked.

But hey you know, strangely enough, US foreign policy does have an impact outside of the US.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale