Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemagnusra

Whats the problem?!?
    #318904 - 05/16/01 08:54 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Say you birth some cakes before invitro pinning. But they stayed in the jars for a week & 1/2 after 100%. And you cold-shocked 50% right before birth. Then birth them to a terrarium with cool-mist humidification with 93-97% RH & 70-73 deg. temp. (Also one night the RH got down to 75% for a few hours) No pins for a week, cakes looking a little dry. So you dunk and cold-shock. Then put in another terrarium with 78-82 deg. & 91-98% RH (Mostly around 98) on jarlids with wet verm in them. Say you left them in there for oh, about 5 days or so. Now the cakes are getting fuzzy and starting to get slightly puffier patches of mycellium, maybe some primordia (Can't tell).

Now why would you think that these haven't yet pinned? And if they will when?!?

Thanks in advance

* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process

--------------------
[red]* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process[/red]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineegolesss
veteran
Re: Whats the problem?!? [Re: magnusra]
    #318987 - 05/16/01 11:01 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Dry, not enough air exchange and too high humidity....Case them and use the neglect tek next time, you'll never look back...

Going crazy will drive you mad, but once you get there the rest is easy.....

--------------------
Going crazy will drive you mad, but once you get there the rest is easy....All spores are not created equal!!!!!!!!!!! Sporeworks, Hawkseye, PF, they are completely viable with very strong genetics.

Offlinemagnusra

Re: Whats the problem?!? [Re: egolesss]
    #318989 - 05/16/01 11:09 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

What should the humidity be around? They are fanned at least 3x a day. And there is an air pump.

* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process

--------------------
[red]* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process[/red]

Offlinepl151

#319010 - 05/16/01 11:33 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

yo man im running into the same problems, i tried casing afetr doint he same exact thing and when i crumbled my cakes they were all dry inside. nevertheless i cased and now, about 5 hrs after, it seems that all the mycelium has gotten bluish green bruising throught the case. i dunno man i m really worried about this batch and i dont think much is coming froom it. im leavin it in y terrarium with humidityat 93 and 85 temp.. good luck bro

--------------------
the truth and reason for the above post has been diminished by its very beginning..holding no facts,, but squeezing every bit of fiction...

how 'bout a hug??...

Offlinemagnusra

Re: Whats the problem?!? [Re: pl151]
    #319283 - 05/17/01 10:28 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

What do you use for heating the terrarium?

--------------------

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #319301 - 05/17/01 10:55 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

A flourescent light laying on top.

InvisibleG-nome
    #319326 - 05/17/01 11:40 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

THE SAME DAMN THING IS HAPPENING TO ME. At least you're getting positive posts.
I dunked my cake and it sounds exactly like yours. I don't want to case but it seems that it might be the answer to our pinning problem.

"Getting an inch of snow is like winning ten cents in the lottery." - Calvin

--------------------
The Free Spore Ring - the best damn thing since sliced bread?

Offlinemagnusra

Re: Whats the problem?!? [Re: G-nome]
    #319330 - 05/17/01 11:44 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I was thinking the same thing G-nome. But I think I'll wait just a little while longer. It looks like primordia might be forming but I really don't know (lack of experience). A few spots or small clumps of mycellia forming. But these spots don't seem to be getting much bigger, at least not in the course of a day. When do the heads of the pins begin to form?

--------------------

InvisibleG-nome
    #319334 - 05/17/01 11:52 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I really don't know. I haven't pulled in a crop yet. All my experience has been in the form of low humidity, stalled cakes, contaminations of casings. So I am still learning. I just can't seem to get past my problems.

--------------------
The Free Spore Ring - the best damn thing since sliced bread?

OfflineDan
    #319361 - 05/17/01 12:27 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I've never had to cold shock or dunk a cake to get it to pin. 92%-100% humidity is fine. You have only prolonged the process. Maybe your water amount wasn't just right and that left the cake a little dry by the time it's birthed. Try a higher water content next time you make jars. You have to leave them alone, they will pin when they're godamn good and ready. And I know it seems like eternity waiting for pins.

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
Re: Whats the problem?!? [Re: Dan]
    #319371 - 05/17/01 12:46 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

"You have to leave them alone, they will pin when they're godamn good
and ready. And I know it seems like eternity waiting for pins."

i think dan said it all right there

"like a Japanese Cowboy or a blind man on skates"Ween
"you must make sure that the lady's pure for the Funky Cold Medina"Tone Loc

Offlinemagnusra

Re: Whats the problem?!? [Re: BrownPastures]
    #319375 - 05/17/01 12:54 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks guys. At least I know everything is okay. Maybe I should talk to them or something.

Here's a question, which is faster after 100% colonization, casing or cakes? (Assuming you let the cakes pin invitro which I hear is faster than just birthing)

--------------------

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
    #319382 - 05/17/01 01:01 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Casing hands down fastest method... use my monkey's sprinkle tek for the top layer!

"like a Japanese Cowboy or a blind man on skates"Ween
"you must make sure that the lady's pure for the Funky Cold Medina"Tone Loc

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #319396 - 05/17/01 01:26 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

If you asked me that question a week ago, I would have said casings. However, right now I`m looking at 3 inch shrooms that grew invitro in only 24 days. This was a total accident, the cakes weren`t even 100% colonized. Still, casings are more predictable pinners. (in my experience)
I know how hard it is to pull in that all important first crop. Cultivation, when viewed as a race, loses it`s appeal.
Hang in there, boys, it will happen!

InvisibleInsomnia
addict
Re: Whats the problem?!? [Re: puscle]
    #319435 - 05/17/01 02:22 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

My advice: Try cakes the first time for the hell of it. I did cakes and casings my first time to see which I liked. Suffice to say I only did cakes once. The cakes do not have be pinning in vitro to work. I birthed mine, cut them in helf, did the double ended casing with vermiculite only and had excellent results. But the tray I cased whipped the poo out of the cake yields.

Anymore, with nice species i.e. Cambodia I get full colonization in 10-14 days, 5 days from casing to pin, 5 days or so from pins to picking. And I do this with an aquarium, plastic tray, wet perlite, and hand fanning. It just takes patience and practice. I am positive most if not all people here can develop a rewarding hobby.

Peace.

I choked Linda Lovelace!

--------------------
"If you believe in things you do not understand, you will suffer." ? Stevie Wonder

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: Whats the problem?!? [Re: Insomnia]
    #319558 - 05/17/01 05:30 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

shoot, that makes me want to get my cambos going. i just need a little money for some more verm (used up) and some better jars.
i have the perfect incubation location too, i turn my waterbed up to about 30 degrees C then tuck all the jars in a row between the bladder and the side at the foot and head of the bed. VOILA. now i realize that contams would be a problem in my bedding... but ive tested dummy jars just to be sure, and they remained sterile for weeks. (tested 2) (meanwhile a carrot i forgot about while sleeping became so moldy i had to wash the bed) as for fruiting chamber, i line a cardboard box with a black plastic garbage bag. and use a round florecent bulb, no point in confusing mushroom growth with white walls or light-relfective surfaces :) ive been waiting for a chance to try cambos ever since they came onto the market :)

thou speakest arite
i am the merry wanderer of the night

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Whats the problem?!? [Re: Mitchnast]
    #319599 - 05/17/01 06:30 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck