Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefft2
journeyman

Professor says Bush revealed National Guard favoritism
    #3138924 - 09/15/04 03:47 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Professor says Bush revealed National Guard favoritism
by Phil Hirschkorn
Link to Article
A business school professor who taught George W. Bush at Harvard University in the early 1970s says the future president told him that family friends had pulled strings to get him into the Texas Air National Guard.

Yoshi Tsurumi, in his first on-camera interview on the subject, told CNN that Bush confided in him during an after-class hallway conversation during the 1973-74 school year.

"He admitted to me that to avoid the Vietnam draft, he had his dad -- he said 'Dad's friends' -- skip him through the long waiting list to get him into the Texas National Guard," Tsurumi said. "He thought that was a smart thing to do."

While the campaign has not responded directly to Tsurumi's allegations, White House Communications Director Dan Bartlett said last week, "Every time President Bush gets near another election, all the innuendo and rumors about President Bush's service in the National Guard come to the forefront."

Bush has said in the past that neither he nor his father sought special treatment for him. "Any allegation that my dad asked for special favors is simply not true," he said in 1999.

Tsurumi said Vietnam was a top topic among the 85 students in his class, when he was a visiting associate professor at Harvard from 1972 to 1976. He now teaches at Baruch College in New York.

"What I couldn't stand -- and I told him -- he was all for the U.S. to continue with the Vietnam War. That means he was all for other people, Americans, to keep on fighting and dying."

Tsurumi got to know Bush when the future president took his "Economics EAM" (Environmental Analysis for Management), a required two-semester class from the fall of 1973 to the spring of 1974, Bush's first year at Harvard's business school.

Bush had transferred to Air National Guard reserve status before he enrolled in the MBA program. He had enlisted in the Texas Air National Guard in May 1968 and trained to fly fighter jets until he was suspended from flying status in August 1972 for failing to submit to an annual physical, according to Bush's military records released earlier this year.

Tsurumi said he remembers Bush because every teacher remembers their best and worst students, and Bush was in the latter group.

"Lazy. He didn't come to my class prepared," Tsurumi said. "He did very badly."

Tsurumi concedes that he disapproves of Bush's politics. He wrote a letter to the editor of his hometown newspaper, the Scarsdale Inquirer, that derided the president's claims to "compassionate conservatism."

"Somehow I found him totally devoid of compassion, social responsibility, and good study discipline," Tsurumi said. "What I remember most about him was all the kind of flippant statements that he made inside of classroom as well as outside."

Tsurumi says he is not working for any Democratic group for the Kerry campaign. "The only activity I do is to vote for him," Tsurumi said.

But Tsurumi has been speaking out against Bush by giving newspaper and radio interviews.

The professor's comments come as a former Texas politician, former state House Speaker and Lieutenant Governor Ben Barnes, has said it was he got Bush into the Guard.

Barnes, a Democrat supporting John Kerry, says he called the head of the Texas unit in 1968, at the request of a Bush family friend. Bush's father was then a U.S congressman.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Professor says Bush revealed National Guard favoritism [Re: fft2]
    #3138941 - 09/15/04 03:50 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

That guy is a partisan fraud.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3138950 - 09/15/04 03:53 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Was this before or after the DNC forged the papers?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #3138978 - 09/15/04 04:02 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

well obviously, i'd do the same for my son if it was to avoid going over and getting slaughtered in vietnam. course I don't think both I and my son would start two separate wars and send other young men to die.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #3139007 - 09/15/04 04:06 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I think Bush was obviously allowed into the guard due to his father's influence.
But I absolutely don't believe he spilled his guts to a liberal Japanese economics professor.
But hey maybe he was drunk at the time.

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
Re: Professor says Bush revealed National Guard favoritism [Re: Gijith]
    #3139020 - 09/15/04 04:10 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Or high on CRACK

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Professor says Bush revealed National Guard favoritism [Re: Gijith]
    #3139075 - 09/15/04 04:24 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

spilled his guts

Was that a sly reference to the elder Bush puking in the lap of Prime Minister Kiichi Miyazawa?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: Professor says Bush revealed National Guard favoritism [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #3139083 - 09/15/04 04:25 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

god I wish I was that witty

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #3139414 - 09/15/04 05:55 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Who gives a shit? It's not like Bush ever said "Vote for me because I was in the Air National Guard and I didn't get any special privelage!"

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter in the least. Consider the last 3 candidates for President, Bush, Kerry, Gore all raised with the silver spoon.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion