Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

We were Soldiers Once? A time line of Bush's active duty.
    #1429951 - 04/04/03 09:47 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

We were Soldiers Once?
The Bush War Record

George W. Bush on sacrifice:
"I've been to war. I've raised twins. If I
had a choice, I'd rather go to war."
Houston Chronicle, January 2002

February 1968:
Bush takes an Air
Force officers test.
Scores in 25th
percentile in the pilot
aptitude portion.
Declares that he does
not wish to serve

May 27, 1968:
Bush enlists in Texas Air National Guard. Aided by Texas House Speaker Ben Barnes, he jumps over waiting list. He pledges two years of active duty and four years of reserve duty.

June 9, 1968:
Bush's student deferment expires.
Bush on why the Air National Guard took him:
"They could sense I would be one of the great pilots of all time."
Houston Chronicle, August 1988

September 1968:
After basic training, Bush pulls inactive duty to act as gopher on Florida Senator Edward J. Gurney's campaign.

November 1968:
After Gurney wins, Bush is reactivated and transferred to Georgia.

November 1969:
Bush is flown to the White House by President Nixon for a date with daughter Tricia.

December 1969:
Bush transfers to Houston and moves into Chateaux Dijon complex. Laura lives there too, but they don't meet till later.

March 1970:
Bush gets his wings.

June 1970:
Joins the Guard's
"Champagne Unit," where
he flies with sons of Texas' elite.

November 3, 1970:
George Bush Sr. loses Senate election to Lloyd Bentsen, whose son is also in the "Champagne Unit."

November 7, 1970:
Promoted to first lieutenant. Rejected by University of Texas School of Law.

January 1971:
The Guard begins testing for drugs during physicals.

Spring 1971:
Hired by Texas agricultural importer, Bush uses F-102 to shuttle tropical plants from Florida.

May 26, 1972:
Transfers to Alabama Guard unit so he can work on Senator William Blount's reelection campaign. According to his commanding officer, Bush never shows up for duty while in Alabama, nor can anyone confirm he ever serves in the Guard again.

August 1972:
Bush is grounded for missing a mandatory physical.

November 1972:
Bush returns to Houston, but never reports for Guard duty.

December 1972:
In D.C. for the holidays, Bush takes 16-year-old brother Marvin drinking and driving. Confronted by father, Bush suggests they settle it "mano a mano."

October 1, 1973:
The Air National Guard relieves Bush from commitment eight months early, allowing him to attend Harvard Business School.

Bush on commitment:
"I, George W. Bush, upon the successful completion of pilot training, plan to return to my unit and fulfill my obligation."
Air National Guard pledge, 1968

The Guard on Bush:
"George Walker Bush is one member of the younger generation who doesn't get his kicks from pot or hashish or speed.... As far as kicks are concerned, Lt. Bush gets his from the roaring afterburner of the F-102."
Texas Air National Guard press release, March 1970

Bush on lessons learned:
"I learned some good lessons from Vietnam. First, there must be a clear mission. Secondly, the politics ought to stay out of fighting a war. There was too much politics during the Vietnam War."
Associated Press, March 2002

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned." -Buddha

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Ganja Goddess

Re: We were Soldiers Once? A time line of Bush's active duty. [Re: RadioActiveSlug]
    #1430569 - 04/05/03 02:58 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Great breakdown :smile:

On a slightly related note, we only watch CSPAN when I get some weird jonsing in me to not watch the news on my computer monitor but on the television-- the old fashioned way :smile:-- Anyway, the have user callins on washington journal as well as after things like the presidential speech announcing war.  I was one of the lucky callers to get through right after he spoke and since they do agree/opposing views it was fantastic to hear everyone debating what had just happened.  I loved the fact that most of the probush supporters loved to bring up 9/11 or (no offense to southerners) sounded like some backwater hick raving about his god like qualities.

I had written out the points I wanted to discuss, #1-- Iraq was in no way linked to 9/11  #2, It was absolutely appauling that we were cutting teacher's jobs and going through a depression twice the size of the great depression and nothing was being done about this.  #3, That Bush had never served and had actually went AWOL.. #4, that we should all make no mistake, this war is about oil.

Boy did that piss off the next caller!  How dare I call the president of the country a liar!  He had served nobily just like the folks over there were doing now and that we needed to support them and that if I didnt like it, I could get the hell out-- but the facist stances like mine were undermining our brave troop's moral.  :smile:

I say the same thing that you do -- I support my troops enough to want to get them the fuck home, safe and sound. 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion