Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
bummer....a McKenna prediction's already wrong
    #2978916 - 08/08/04 05:26 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I was listening to some of his audio recordings.  A great website for any newbies interested in Terence McKenna and what he's got to say.  Anyways, this here is at the end of Light of Third Millenium (Austin).  That was a presentation from 1997.  A person in the crowd asks "where will we be December 22, 2012?"  He responds "All together" then he says another answer is just that well we don't know cause it's too far away.
then he says this
"the real outlines of what is tearing towards us will probably be the province of squirells and visionaries like myself until around the year 2004-2005, and by that time it will be clear to everyone what is on the end of every fork as William Burroughs once said.  In other words it will be clear that history has been cancelled, it will be clear that there is no human future except through hyperspacial breakthrough.  We will all be walking around on an internet which is 90% VRML based and hence three dimensional and interactive and nanotechnology wil be beginning to deliver its goods to society.  New forms of propulsion system will move the outer planets to within a few weeks travel so on and so on....."

The technology described isn't here and ain't gonna be here anytime soon.  What's more worrying to me is that I don't think it is clear to anyone yet anything about hyperspacial breakthrough or history's cancellation.  Oh well.
:frown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: bummer....a McKenna prediction's already wrong [Re: question_for_joo]
    #2978923 - 08/08/04 05:29 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

hahah that's pretty funny

Offlinetnecseda
birther to none
    #2978938 - 08/08/04 05:33 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i feel like history is cancelled.but i think he was lied to about someof hispredictions or someone changed hisprediction.that happens.maybe he was trying to say something else.something like a secret message,even though its not secret,its just encrypted,like lyrics in music.

Invisibletyke
eschatologist

#2978947 - 08/08/04 05:37 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

McKenna always had a bit of a technology fetish.

but i think this year's election may prove that history is indeed cancelled, and that the only human future is in hyperspatial breakthrough.

--------------------
hey, that douchebag, tyke, just made a post. let's go flame 'im!

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
Re: bummer....a McKenna prediction's already wrong [Re: tyke]
    #2978974 - 08/08/04 05:46 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I do mushrooms. I do quite a bit of reading about new age stuff and strange ideas. If even I don't have a solid idea of what 'hyperspacial breakthrough' means, what hope does the general populace have? If you can explain it to me succinctly that'd help and later you can pass the knowledge on to Christians in church and fat italian guys who work the meat counter at grocery stores too.

Offlinetnecseda
birther to none
    #2978983 - 08/08/04 05:51 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i always thought a light would kill them all.of course that light would be the light of love,so you know it wouldn't be a bad thing.some people wait for that moment,its just cause they're lazy though and want love to come to them instead of looking for themselves."lets wait for the end of the world cause i'm too busy working to look for love."

Offlinedmtrypr
psychonauticalengineer

Loc: Florida
Re: bummer....a McKenna prediction's already wrong [Re: tnecseda]
    #2979185 - 08/08/04 07:39 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

McKenna was ahead of his time

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #2979555 - 08/08/04 10:00 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

"McKenna was ahead of his time"

He was a good writer, but he didn't have a clue about technology and science or he would have known that these predictions were not coming true anytime soon.

OfflineCECILOFS
Stranger
Re: bummer....a McKenna prediction's already wrong [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2979919 - 08/09/04 12:03 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,12543,676853,00.html
^ Nanotechnology.

The year isn't over yet, and there's still all of 2005 left to go. That said, I get the impression that Terrance didn't have a clue what or how it would happen, just that it would happen. Whenever he talks about what is actually going to happen it sounds to me as though he's just throwing out ideas.

Also, hind-sight is 20-20: It's entirely possible that it IS glaringly obvious at this stage, just SO obvious that no-one realises, if you know what I mean. So in 5 years we might look back and think "Oh, how could we have been so blind?". Just throwing out ideas...

Edited by CECILOFS (08/09/04 12:04 AM)

Offlinesox24
 User Gallery
Re: bummer....a McKenna prediction's already wrong [Re: CECILOFS]
    #2980696 - 08/09/04 07:03 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

To say McKenna is wrong is not fair. To say he is wrong acts like he was acting like he claimed to have the answers. Wasn't he more like the ringleader of the circus? He was here to throw our attention all over. He wasn't going to try to explain anything, his work was in realms where science could not test, philosophy.

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
McKenna was a poet - his metaphors sure make sense to me [Re: question_for_joo]
    #2981074 - 08/09/04 10:27 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

"it will be clear that history has been cancelled, it will be clear that there is no human future except through hyperspacial breakthrough"

Wrong? Sounds right to me.

As for the tchnology he describes, it all sounds close to being achieved to me. Besides who knows what the big tech companies and the military have up their sleeves.....the release of such things onto the commercial market is controlled and slowed in such a way as to attempt to save the economy (as we know it), it's workings, and make money.

Didn't the first commercial spaceflight happen about a month or so back? That for me was one of the biggest breakthroughs in the last few years. Now we truly are at the dawn of the space age proper. Once commercial ventures become viable, (which is just beginning to happen), the universe will open up and out we will go to create, to propagate and to procreate.

Then all forms of social experiment will become possible, cultural theatre will expand exponentially, space-technology, terraforming technology etc will abound. GM will come to have true purpose and the space it needs to work wonders, as the solarsystem and then the galaxy flowers (?again/further?).

Bring it on

McKenna wasn't perfect - and I'm not a big buyer of 2012, but in the main the guy was on the money in my opinion. As far as I see it the most likely thing to happen in 2012 - the oil runs out and forces us to move our technology forward (the economy as we know it dies, and a hydrogen economy is born - or some suitably advanced repalcement )....Or an invention (the UFO?) changes everything, making hypergalactic (hyperspacial?) flight possible...what will come of that?...or something far far trippier.......ooooo er!

You know this whole thing of trippin, of being a space cadet is what it says it is. It is preparing us to leave the planet. This must be imminent,and it's freakin humanity out......we have reached the planetary envelope. It's gonna get fuckin trippy out there, and the experience will change everything. And soon we will be ready to become space sailors.
(how many astronauts have come back loved up trippers? That perspective, seeing the whole of the Earth as one little ball, it's a psychedellic experience in itself)

The shroom wants our hands....we want its consciousness - where shall we go with our symbiosis? What does that chemical do within their bodymind - if it is the same as us then surely they possess some kind of super-consciousness (compared to us) as a norm.
Are they cutting a deal with us? Our hands for their consciousness? I certainly want their consciousness, they seem to want my (humanity's) hands to increase propagation rates and speed of distribution through the galaxy (which is surely imminent). In order to do this we need to take the entire biosphere and actually re-invent it over and over to fit new challenges. Our little super-conscious friend inspiring and delighting in the variety and novelty all the way.

Like the shroom - Our future can grow underground for an age, gaining size, connections and strength, and then fruit in a blink - keep your eyes peeled!

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: McKenna was a poet - his metaphors sure make sense to me [Re: CJay]
    #2981114 - 08/09/04 10:38 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I say I'm not a big buyer of 2012 - but I do think it is entirely, entirely possible that a massive cosmic change could (and is fairly likely) to happen to humanity. Pinning it to an exact date ain't so much my style, but it sems the rate at which we are approaching it is exponential.

I believe that siome of us are already living post-2012 so to speak. It's a space one can access, and we all can ;o). Perhaps 2012 will be when the balance begins tipping toward a humanity in that space of consciousness.

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#2981335 - 08/09/04 11:29 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

The Shroomery

--------------------

Offlinesox24
 User Gallery
    #2981785 - 08/09/04 01:37 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Last year I wrote a piece called 20-12 Gypsy Man using some of the imagery of timewave zero. I think Terrence was mainly saying that the unpredictable is to be the only thing expected. Like when he said he tried DMT for the first time, "I do not beleive it. I do not believe it!"

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: bummer....a McKenna prediction's already wrong [Re: sox24]
    #2985115 - 08/10/04 08:33 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Yes I think that is a very fair way to describe it. He knew things were going to happen, but as to the actual specific details...all he could do was speculate and try to share the feelings his vision evoked and the possibilities we might be leading to.

Well nanotechnology is delivering it's goods, it's in every mobile telephone, microwave and in more and more articles we find in everyday life. It is just so incorporated, such an underlying concept, we cannot see the wood for the trees.

""We're confident of doubling turnover with nanotechnology by 2005" states Wolf-Dieter Griebler, Chairman, Sachtleben Chemie . "Only a short time ago, nanotechnology was still at the incubation stage - now we're getting ready for take-off...Nanoparticles possess capabilities which will make a whole generation of new product ideas possible." Demand from the user industry is "rising fast"...."Paints and plastics to which nanoparticles are added remain stable five to six times as long; wood painted with nano-paint does not discolour". Sun blocker cremes with a protection factor of more than 25 only became possible thanks to the addition of nano-fine particles supplied by Sachtleben. Thanks to the high-tech coating, car paints achieve a new metallic look, known as the "flip-flop effect", which excites potential buyers. "We're finding new applications practically every day" enthuses Sachtleben boss Griebler."

http://www.sachtleben.de/h/e/new/0970e.phtml?id=52,2

"While there is a commonly held belief that nanotechnology is a futuristic science with applications 25 years in the future and beyond, nanotechnology is anything but science fiction. In the last 15 years over a dozen Nobel prizes have been awarded in nanotechnology, from the development of the scanning probe microscope (SPM), to the discovery of fullerenes. According to CMP Cient?fica, over 600 companies are currently active in nanotechnology, from small venture capital backed start-ups to some of the world's largest corporations...Even more significantly, there are companies applying nanotechnology to a variety of products we can already buy, such as automobile parts, clothing and ski wax. Even more significantly, there are companies applying nanotechnology to a variety of products we can already buy, such as automobile parts, clothing and ski wax. Nanotechnology is already all around us if you know where to look. "

"Shrinking machines down to the size where they can be inserted into the human body in order to detect and repair diseased cells is a popular idea of the benefits of nanotechnology, and one that even comes close to reality. Many companies are already in clinical trials for drug delivery mechanisms based on nanotechnology, but unfortunately none of them involve miniature submarines. It turns out that there are a whole range of more efficient ways that nanotechnology can enable better drug delivery without resorting to the use of nanomachines."

Politically, it can be argued that fear is the primary motivation. The US has opened up a commanding lead in terms of economic growth, despite recent setbacks, as a result if the growth and adoption of information technology. Of equal significance is the lead in military technology as demonstrated by the use of unmanned drones for both surveillance and assault in recent conflicts. Nanotechnology promises far more significant economic, military and cultural changes than those created by the internet, and with technology advancing so fast, and development and adoption cycles becoming shorter, playing catch-up will not be an option for governments who are not already taking action.

"Maybe the greatest short term benefit of nanotechnology is in bringing together the disparate sciences, physical and biological, who due to the nature of education often have had no contact since high school. Rather than nanosubmarines or killer nanobots, the greatest legacy of nanotechnology may well prove to be the unification of scientific disciplines and the resultant ability of scientists, when faced with a problem, to call on the resources of the whole of science, not just of one discipline."

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0957-4484/14/1/001
- an excellent article on nanotechnology (for laymen like me anyway!)

Nanotechnology is beginning to deliver its goods to society.

As for walking around on a VRML internet....it's pretty close to hand, after a rocky start to the decade it is now playing catch-up:

"VRML was initiated, some years ago, out of the desire to bring interactive 3D graphics to the Internet. The original vision (which was always a bit hazy) was of immersive "worlds" for users to navigate through, thus blending the romantic concepts of cyberspace and virtual reality. This vision--both of immersive worlds and their implementation on the internet--has never seriously materialized, and in the past year VRML development has turned down different paths. Cosmo Software sought to position VRML as a vehicle for exciting, "media-rich" graphics embedded in web pages, and its particular stress has been on banner advertisements. The results have been eye-popping, but this use of VRML requires that the browsers be ubiquitous. Advertisers can hardly be expected to embrace this technology if only a fraction of the audience has the necessary viewing software installed. And most people do not yet have computer hardware that is truly adequate for running VRML files.

But VRML has quietly been establishing a beachhead on a different front. In science and commerce, where high-end hardware is a given, VRML has been taking root as a visualization technology. At NASA Ames Research, just across the road from where I teach at Cogswell College in Sunnyvale, California, a student of mine is part of some very ambitious uses of VRML in an environment where every conceivable form of VR (Virtual Reality) technology is available. VRML is now being used to model and visualize all kinds of physical processes, from air flow to chemical reactions, at businesses, universities and research labs all over the world.

Some time ago, Platinum (software) became interested in the use of 3D visualization in business enterprise computing. 3D visualization for product development and training is well-established, but Platinum has been working at something that may be very big indeed. Under the heading of "Process and Information Visualization Technology" (PIVT), the company is spearheading the use of interactive 3D to make business database applications more comprehensible and user-friendly. The complexity of business systems today demands new interface ideas, and interactive 3D may be an answer. And this Fortune 500 market is huge compared to anything in entertainment or web graphics right now.

Platinum might simply have developed proprietary 3D technology specifically suited for this purpose, but it has done something of far greater importance."

It will not be long until it is standard on the latest home equipment...

In fact you can download a browser or some scene creation softwware today. Right now.

Sure it is not as ubiquitous right now as McKenna speculated, but it's pretty damn close. And he was talking in generalities like: "around the year 2004-2005". We've still got three quarters of that 2 year period to go - and he is speculating at the general trend of development, some parts may take longer to come fully into the main frame of composition.

Now as we go further into McKenna's specualtions...we reach further into the unknown, but there is still fruit, and while much of it still has to ripen fully, some of it is ripe and juicy already:

"The propulsion of choice for science fiction writers has become the propulsion of choice for scientists and engineers at NASA. The ion propulsion system?s efficient use of fuel and electrical power enable modern spacecraft to travel farther, faster, and cheaper than any other propulsion technology currently available. Ion thrusters are currently used for stationkeeping on communication satellites and for main propulsion on deep space probes. Ion thrusters expel ions to create thrust and can provide higher spacecraft top speeds than any other rocket currently available."

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/ion/overview/overview.htm

"Shown below are several missions that ion propulsion can perform within the near future. 

Virtually every planet in the solar system is made accessible with reasonable budgets. Some of these missions can only be accomplished using ion propulsion due to its high specific impulse and fuel efficiency .

Click the image below for the full scale image."

u can see the image and my source here:

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/ion/future/future.htm

This puts the entire solar-system in close reach. It is real, and it is available right now.

So it seems these possibilities that McKenna spoke of are all real and available. Sure VRML is not as common as he had hoped for by this stage, but it is easily available and not far off the mark.
Space travel around the entire solarsystem is possible and much faster than before: "Under the circumstances for which ion propulsion is appropriate, it can push a spacecraft up to about ten times as fast as chemical propulsion."
And of course nanotechnology abounds, it is everywhere and its use extends further every day.

perhaps all of these elements will soon fuse into a fantastic new invention - the 'UFO'???

the dream is almost crystalised:

Antimatter rockets take us further down the trail. They are a tangible reality which offers a close prospect of extremely fast sub-light speed travel:

"Estimates for travel times to Mars for an advanced antimatter rocket using the beam core approach are anywhere from 24 hours to 2 weeks, it is probable that it will be somewhere inbetween. Compare this to the space shuttle using its conventional chemical propulsion when a trip to Mars would take between 1 and 2 years."

However we have the current problem that only up to 10 nanograms of anti-matter are produced per year, and it is the most expensive material in the world right now. We need at least a few milligrams to fuel a solar-system wide mission. So though we have access to all the ingredients....a true 'beam core'  antimatter rocket may be some way in the future.

Things can often change pretty quickly though and it only needs the right scientific development, or more corporations producing the ingredients....And now that commercial manned spaceflight has been born just this year.....what near developments beckon I wonder?

Of course the real treasure will be ~ faster than light travel...NASA has been conducting some research:

Prospects for Breakthrough Propulsion from Physics

This project aimed to find ways beyond conventional rockets....

"At this stage it is still too early to predict which, if any, of the approaches might lead to a successful breakthrough. Objectively, the desired breakthroughs might be impossible to achieve. Reciprocally, history has shown that breakthroughs tend to take the pessimists by surprise."

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/bpp/TM-2004-213082.htm

the embryo slowly takes shape

"so on and so on....."
:sun:

We are definitely on the path - space beckons, and the sooner we can get out there and out of the clutches of earth bound apes like GWB, Saddam, and the rest of the 'politicians' the better for everyone. Thankfully more people than ever see through the sham that is modern technocratic government, and when our hand is forced, we the people shall make a stand against their non-sense. Necessity is the mother of invention, and necessity is gathering momentum as we speak.

History is cancelled? profane history as we know it is a story of ever grander war between men. It cannot go on - or it will claim us all. As well as this it is the story of greed, and this likewise cannot go on. Capitalism contains some inherrent qualities we must take into the future, but it needs hybridisation and true incorporation of other social standards, it must be tempered and we must take ourselves on from our arbitrarily termed capitalist vs communist dichotomies and so forth. Besides capitalism is fast running out of capital - the world is virtually spent. Going into space is the only way forward.

The hyperspacial breakthrough? No one will really know till it happens. That is the nature of all of the future, but particulary it is the province of the ineffable. Perhaps journeying into outer-space may lead us all there as the people of a planet; physically, mentally and spiritually.
For those of us who already travel the realms of hyperspace....we that accept the answer and already live in the space of consciousness McKenna could only see as a date, we are somewhere reaching beyond the old mammalian thoughtwaves, past all the dull old territory and power games. We are somewhere together. Sometimes I wonder what the answer McKenna searched for was, for it is here with us.

:sun::mushroom2: :sun:

live the dream

Invisibledorkus
Re: McKenna was a poet - his metaphors sure make sense to me *DELETED* [Re: CJay]
    #2985313 - 08/10/04 09:38 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by dorkus

Reason for deletion: .

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: McKenna was a poet - his metaphors sure make sense to me [Re: dorkus]
    #2985595 - 08/10/04 10:55 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

You sound like u've got the vibe dude.

I know what you mean about those gravitational pulls. I'm sure u will get your fully fledged space suit soon; or your alien mind (or whatever metaphor says it the best).

Being aware is the first step to trancendance.

We are all flesh and blood and I can't see a utopia at the end of this, but a pragamatopia beckons.

Big up u!!

"ZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAANNNNNNGGGGGGG!!!

Then we'll all be invited :thumbup:"

Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
Re: McKenna was a poet - his metaphors sure make sense to me [Re: CJay]
    #2985747 - 08/10/04 11:51 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Pragmatopia, that's a nice word. I wish we lived in one of those.

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery
Re: McKenna was a poet - his metaphors sure make sense to me [Re: deafpanda]
    #2989109 - 08/11/04 12:03 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

"The shroom wants our hands....we want its consciousness - where shall we go with our symbiosis?"

Awesome.

I was fortunate to just meet John Major Jenkins late last week. He is a big player in the 2012 theory, written a couple books and found the site in Guatemala that shows in great detail how the Mayans got 2012, location called Izapa. It was amazing and my friends and I, all of us are under the age of 24, were dominating the Q&A session. He wasn't expecting that. He even mentioned mushrooms and we told him that that is why we are here at this meeting, because McKenna, through the use of mushrooms came up with 2012 enddate as well.

One of his books has an intro by McKenna. He says that he and McKenna were planning a big meeting about 2012 in Boulder in late '99 but then Terence got sick. I would've loved to have been there for that one.

McKennaDMT

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: McKenna was a poet - his metaphors sure make sense to me [Re: dorkus]
    #2989174 - 08/11/04 12:27 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Ever heard of the hundred monkey theory.

I am "intuiting" that is a question and not a statement. The "Hundredth Monkey" story is a fallacy that people keep using despite it having been shown to be TOTALLY false, as "evidence" of the mysterious (and non-existent) universal mind.

This myth comes in second behind the fallacious 'we only use 10% of our brain" fairy tale.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order