Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Noob tries cloning, needs advice for 2 little babies
    #29689060 -

Hi everyone, after weeks of lurking and reading I'm happy to post my "first" take on growth.

While I'm waiting for spores to be delivered from one of beloved sponsors(666:rockon:) I decided I should use the time to apply knowledge I've gleaned from all of you. Went with cash by mail so it takes time and I thought to myself: lemme check that spot I harvested oysters few weeks ago in woods nearby. I was happy to see multiple clusters on a fallen log. I picked 2 that were looking the cleanest and without bugs/snails. I believe it to be lung oyster/Pleurotus pulmonarius.

Process:

Fruit was in ziplock which was wiped with ISO prior to entering SAB. It was cleaned prior and sprayed with slightly soapy water to catch anything unwanted. Inside, I had a ISO soaked paper towel where I laid the fruit. Then I split it open with my hands and tried to scrape inside of the stem with my #11 xacto. I saw someone suggesting that I just can't find the link now. That didn't quite work and I don't know why because the blade was new. Maybe because the fruit was quite small(critters were munching on bigguns so I had to pick smaller). Then I went in with tip of the knife and cut a tiny bit and transferred it to agar plate. The plate was closed, except during the transfer where I lifted if 45 degrees. Repeated 4 times, once for each half. I sterilized the blade in between each transfer with blowtorch.
I used Josex no pour tek and Pudin instant pot tek for PC-ing.
They were stored at 70-75F temperature in a box in my closet.
Agar recipe=> 200ml water, 3.6g agar, 2g potato flakes and 5.6g honey + food coloring. I have some plates since over two weeks ago still clean and ready to go.

Result:

I saw people saying you don't have to check them every hour(even tho I really wanted to lol) so I was checking them every morning and for few days there was nothing except some contams on the edge, white dots. After maybe 4 days I started to see hypha on agar and I was happy! Other two plates showed some growth just today, 8 days since cloning. I have read oysters are quite aggressive growers so this pace made me a bit concerned. Should I go on with my first transfer before myc reaches contams? Here are the pictures














Sorry for the bad visibility, I completely forgot to add a bit vinegar during PC. I'd also appreciate tips for taking photos, one I've found and helped a bit is having white background. If it's needed I could open it inside the SAB and take photo with cap off. I'd also appreciate suggestions for plates. I've been searching here for what people get but most of them are expired/invalid links.Got these. I want them to be reusable and affordable, I'm broke atm:begger:
I'm also sorry if this post is too long, just wanted to give you all that I deem to be relevant, I'm happy to receive any critique and want to improve.
I'd like to update this post as grow goes, hopefully.

Thank you all for your wonderful work and keeping this place running for so long
:namaste:
------------------------
Edit: formatting
------------------------
Edit: 10/08/26 first transfer

Edited by Reishi Uchiha (10/08/26 09:04 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Noob tries cloning, needs advice for 2 little babies [Re: Reishi Uchiha]
    #29689129 -

Your technique sounds spot on. I’ve done the exact same thing. I’m about 2 days away from harvesting the first flush from my wild oyster clone. The mycelium looks a little wispy but that might strengthen up in a couple of transfers.
Yes, you should make your transfer before it reaches any contamination. I’ve found that it’s better to transfer earlier than ideal rather than take bacteria along with it. Great work. Also, you can check in them as frequently as you want. They’re yours.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Noob tries cloning, needs advice for 2 little babies [Re: Incidental_farmer]
    #29691251 -

Hey Incidental_farmer
Thank you for your input. Honestly, I was hoping TC or someone that has pictures of their growth would help out. I guess they are busy with some drama, I saw they had issues with OTD. Please don't take this as an insult, I'm only trying to be mindful of whose advice I take.

I went on with your advice, it's a test/learning run anyways and the growth speed increased like crazy, check this out:



I took these while they were in SAB, without that frosted cap that makes it hard to see.
The other two plates that I mentioned are doing quite well, one of them has to growth points lol, I guess part of myc fell of the blade. I might share those eventually.


--------------------
Some say we'll see Armageddon soon
I certainly hope we will
:madpirate:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Noob tries cloning, needs advice for 2 little babies [Re: Reishi Uchiha]
    #29691506 -

Those plates look good. Always a good idea to do a few transfers to make sure the mycelium is clean. Notice there are a few bacteria spots on the plate.

So you want to transfer before it reaches the edge.

Sodlime Glass petris may be a suitable choice for you if you can PC them with the agar. Your agar recipe is like mine but I use real potato instead of flakes. Makes no difference.

Good luck and look forward to your progress.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Cloning store bought agaricus?
( 1 2 all )
Baby_Hitler 5,795 27 03/07/06 11:43 AM
by shirley knott
* Agar recipe for cloning oysters "UPDATE PICS 16/12"
( 1 2 all )
Wheedhead! 10,000 28 12/16/03 04:53 PM
by G a n j a
* Cloning store bought portabellas Shaw 3,075 6 08/11/02 08:38 AM
by tchyted
* problems cloning wild enoki ... ragadinks 4,510 16 01/18/24 05:51 PM
by Southerner
* can i clone from storebought shrooms? Gr0wer 2,239 11 04/15/04 12:39 AM
by ragadinks
* cloning store bought mushrooms
( 1 2 all )
thisone 9,550 25 12/01/03 11:29 AM
by Bi0TeK
* Transferring from Psilos to Edibles Lindt 1,426 3 06/27/04 12:54 PM
by YidakiMan
* P. ostreatus wild clone
( 1 2 all )
AnnoA 5,680 28 04/20/04 02:47 AM
by Anand

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: RogerRabbit, cronicr, Pastywhyte, Forrester, Stromrider, SHROOMSISAY01
34 topic views. 1 members, 3 guests and 10 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
Calendar Event: 10/08/26
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.