Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |  [ show all ]
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: sudly]
    #29660436 -

sudly said:
The hard problem begins when one denies that the evolutionary and organisational questions sometimes called the soft problems could, even in principle, answer the how and why of phenomenology. It is therefore not simply the fact that those questions remain unsolved. It is the claim that no resolution of them, including an account of their evolutionary emergence, organisation and causal operation, could answer why or how experience exists.

I do not make that denial. If experience is an evolved aspect of an organismโ€™s organised participation in the world, then its explanation belongs within the same explanatory field as the processes through which that organisation emerged and operates. Perception, memory, integration, learning and adaptive participation are therefore the real problems to solve.

They may be profoundly difficult, including because of asymmetry of access, but they are not a separate metaphysical problem. The remaining task is to develop that account, not to explain how an additional non-evolutionary property enters the picture.



Chalmers himself accepts that consciousness arose through evolution.

Suppose we completely explain the evolution of operation, perception, memory, etc. What in that explanation entails that any of it is experienced?


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: Rahz]
    #29660444 -

Rahz said:
redgreenvines said:
qualia exists because of the familiarity reflex and sensory neural signals.
both are required

qualia requires the familiarity reflex
the reflex does not require qualia - one makes the other - it does not go backwards



If the familiarity reflex itself requires no qualia, and sensory neural signals themselves can also occur without qualia, what is it about combining the two that produces qualia?

You've identified two necessary conditions, but that doesn't yet explain why their interaction should produce subjective experience rather than simply a more complex non-conscious neural response.



the subjective experience is the ever changing Gestalt with body feelings - reactivated memories and sensation of the world at large.
the topic is huge
I highly recommend a good glance at this link https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qualia/

in the end Qualia is a concept about experience/experiencing.
the brain and its familiarity reflex is that.
from the tiniest worm to the most theoretical scientist, that reflex underpins how experience extends memory and memory extends experience.

the term 'Qualia' is extra, just as is the terms "god", "subconscious", and "will".

these are theoretical ramparts that were built to defend archaic thinking patterns.


--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: teknix]
    #29660446 -

I suppose awareness is a process, a "thing" in the sense that it can be identified as an entity, an identifiable phenomenon whose mode of existence is process rather than enduring substance.

I don't object to calling awareness an entity. As an identifiable phenomenon there's no requirement that there be an enduring substance underlying that phenomenon. I think this is in line with Buddhist thought.

Walking is a thing, but I think we can agree walking has no physical existence apart from the process itself.


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: redgreenvines]
    #29660447 -

Why is gestalt felt?


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: Rahz]
    #29660494 -

walking is a process thing as well - I see no reason to declare that walking is an entity.
unless you want to go for Mercury, the god of fleetfootedness or Lunta the tibetan horse god.
but for me entity is a bit too far for walking,
and awareness without body and mind is not entity either, but with body and mind, while awareness is happening, there is presence, so you can invoke the idea of entity - a thing alive and present.

is gestalt felt?
I think of gestalt as all the channels of sensation + thought + feeling in combination, which is what happens in the brain each moment.


--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: redgreenvines]
    #29660538 -

Perhaps a small issue, but if we use words like "consciousness" or "awareness," I think we're already invoking an entity in the broad sense, something sufficiently identifiable that we can refer to and make claims about.

That doesn't imply substance. Walking is similarly identifiable, but what the word refers to is a process. My point is that awareness is an entity in that sense while it reasonably describes a process.

I don't strongly object to your distinction, just noting that we're using it with different semantics.

"I think of gestalt as all the channels of sensation + thought + feeling in combination, which is what happens in the brain each moment."

Okay, but why does that combination include felt experience?

A camera can receive sensory information and process it against stored patterns without, presumably, experiencing anything.

Sensory input, neural processing, familiarity/memory, integration and behavioral response can all be described functionally. What about that function necessitates awareness?


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: Rahz]
    #29660539 -

From section 5 of your link: "why and how such-and-such objective, physical changes โ€ฆ generate so-and-so subjective feeling, or any subjective feeling at all."

That's basically the same as asking why the gestalt is felt.


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: Rahz]
    #29660550 -

I have to go to basic sensation in order to describe feeling.
years ago I followed a Buddhist view of feelings being either pleasurable, painful or neutral, and I am embarrassed at how rigid I was with that view.
I justified the view by considering that valence determined by the limbic system generated the signals and chemistry of those "feelings"

however,
as my model of memory became more orthogonal (functional familiarity reflex operations that can be demonstrated by modelling neurons interconnected in the same way as they have developed in the brain), I have stepped aside from that Buddhist view, and although I accept mental resonant state changes due to limbic fight or flight triggers as well as pleasant emotional triggers, I find a more natural interpretation of feelings.

The use of the word "feel" crosses over with the word "sense" with some distinctions.
sense is usually specific as regards vision, or hearing or tasting, or hot or cold or pressure, or smooth, etc.,
but feeling (as in "how does it feel?") is more general. Feeling introduces not only pleasure and pain or neutrality, but also all the things that can be sensed in the body, including how the last line of a poem feels, or how it feels to fall in love; and as such, I now use the word when I want to consider gestalt feelings, everything all together at once being the feeling of an experience, sensory and intellectually and emotionally.
feeling also includes the resonant state, i.e. intoxicated or sober, in that sense, feelings and awareness seem to align, i.e. as all the active mental contents that are not suppressed (i.e. feelings = changing mental contents). However, when mental contents do not seem to have body feeling content it is hard to say that feelings and mental contents are the same: moreover without body feeling (at least breath awareness) mental contents cannot be equated to feelings, but feelings can make up a large part of mental contents.

so while we can have feelings after a poem or when standing before a work of art, while thoughts and emotions are washing through our bodily presence, the feelings are the mix of sensations that the body is producing while the mind reflexes through its perceptions.

anyway this better approaches good meaning when we wonder "how does it feel to be a bat?" and for me it starts with a tight little frenetic body with lots of fur and very long strong fingers, big ears and a screechy voice.


--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: redgreenvines]
    #29660556 -

redgreenvines said:
Rahz said:
redgreenvines said:
qualia exists because of the familiarity reflex and sensory neural signals.
both are required

qualia requires the familiarity reflex
the reflex does not require qualia - one makes the other - it does not go backwards



If the familiarity reflex itself requires no qualia, and sensory neural signals themselves can also occur without qualia, what is it about combining the two that produces qualia?

You've identified two necessary conditions, but that doesn't yet explain why their interaction should produce subjective experience rather than simply a more complex non-conscious neural response.



the subjective experience is the ever changing Gestalt with body feelings - reactivated memories and sensation of the world at large.
the topic is huge
I highly recommend a good glance at this link https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qualia/

in the end Qualia is a concept about experience/experiencing.
the brain and its familiarity reflex is that.
from the tiniest worm to the most theoretical scientist, that reflex underpins how experience extends memory and memory extends experience.

the term 'Qualia' is extra, just as is the terms "god", "subconscious", and "will".

these are theoretical ramparts that were built to defend archaic thinking patterns.



that doesn't explain the gap  between anatomy and experience or the that each perspective appears epistemicly isolated

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: Freedom]
    #29660568 -

well in one case we are talking about the arrangement of parts (anatomy) and in the other case the parts are engaged (electric charges are interacting in the anatomy)

the gap is between dreamless sleep (or death) and waking experience - & dreaming


--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: Rahz]
    #29660613 -

Quote:
Rahz said: Chalmers himself accepts that consciousness arose through evolution.

Suppose we completely explain the evolution of operation, perception, memory, etc. What in that explanation entails that any of it is experienced?



It is only when all of the relevant soft questions have been answered that a hard question would even become viable. Until then, claiming a remaining explanatory gap assumes that the evolutionary and organisational questions have already been exhausted and have failed to account for experience.

To assume that a hard question already exists is therefore to assume that the soft questions have been answered. I doubt that is your position.


--------------------
I am whatever Darwin needs me to be.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: sudly]
    #29660691 -

That's appropriately cautious. The hard problem is considered hard because when a mechanism performs a function, the capacity is explained. But explaining the capacities doesn't seem, by itself, to explain why performing them should be accompanied by subjective experience.


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Edited by Rahz (09/03/26 05:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: Rahz]
    #29660705 -

In a musical score for orchestra, some musicians and the conductor - simply by looking at the pages - can tell what the sound will be like in different concert halls with different expert musicians playing.

For most people that would be a hard problem.

However, on the topic at hand, I keep assuming that participants here are aware of body sensations and overall gestalt feelings as well as what it is like to glance in some direction and be instantly full of gladness or concern due to familiarity with something happening.

Each one of us is like an orchestra and an unique concert hall and while there is no score to speak of, we are experiencing orchestrated mental activation from our senses and from our memories.

the description is not the same as the actual experience, but if it is understood, then it should not be a hard problem.


--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: redgreenvines]
    #29660734 -

redgreenvines said:
well in one case we are talking about the arrangement of parts (anatomy) and in the other case the parts are engaged (electric charges are interacting in the anatomy)

the gap is between dreamless sleep (or death) and waking experience - & dreaming




ok press play and watch the anatomy jiggle around, there is still a gap between jiggling anatomy and experience. Do you not see that?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: redgreenvines]
    #29660796 -

If something is physically happening then there can be a physical description of it, but it's not just about flavor mechanics, but why there's any flavor at all.

I think that is Chalmers's gist. Why should information processing give rise to experience at all? We don't yet know whether increasingly complete descriptions of what conscious systems do will ever explain why there is something it is like to be those systems.

It just is. How's that for an answer?


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: Rahz] * 1
    #29660802 -

Rahz said:
If something is physically happening then there can be a physical description of it, but it's not just about flavor mechanics, but why there's any flavor at all.

I think that is Chalmers's gist. Why should information processing give rise to experience at all? We don't yet know whether increasingly complete descriptions of what conscious systems do will ever explain why there is something it is like to be those systems.

It just is. How's that for an answer?



Often the answer is something like "emergent property", but it its not like other things we call emergent properties. Wetness emerges from trillions of H2O molecules, but its not an unexpected or unexplainable property from quantum mechanics. We can describe how particles form atoms form molecules with quantum mechanics and even show how wetness forms from those principals.

I don't see how you could ever derive the properties of experience from any physics principals.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: Freedom]
    #29660847 -

I framed it early as categorical rather than fundamental, but it is a unique thing to consider in that respect. I would consider it still an emergence and I think "emergent property" is much the same as "it just is." It emerges. Not wrong, but more an acceptance of things being as they are than a scientific explanation of why they are that way.


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: Freedom] * 1
    #29660962 -

Freedom said:
redgreenvines said:
well in one case we are talking about the arrangement of parts (anatomy) and in the other case the parts are engaged (electric charges are interacting in the anatomy)

the gap is between dreamless sleep (or death) and waking experience - & dreaming




ok press play and watch the anatomy jiggle around, there is still a gap between jiggling anatomy and experience. Do you not see that?



those events are 1/6th of a second and they don't jiggle they spark or flash, and each links to over 100,000 other electric events at the same time, it is like being there but 1/6th of a second after whatever happened together, and also similar stuff from the past. it can feel very multidimensional.

being present is just a shade after the fact, but that is where we are at.


--------------------
:brainfart: _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: Rahz]
    #29660979 -

Rahz said:
That's appropriately cautious. The hard problem is considered hard because when a mechanism performs a function, the capacity is explained. But explaining the capacities doesn't seem, by itself, to explain why performing them should be accompanied by subjective experience.



That is only true if explaining a mechanism is restricted to explaining the capacities it performs. I am not granting that restriction.

I agree that a partial explanation of a capacity may not answer the how and why of experience. But when you say that explaining capacities does not seem to explain why they are experienced, you are treating the answers to those questions as inherently incomplete with respect to phenomenology.

My position is that a complete evolutionary and organisational account of perception, memory, integration and participation could include the answer to why and how that organisation is experienced. The claim that it cannot do so is the hard-problem premise.

If all relevant questions had been answered and experience still remained unaccounted for, then a distinct hard question would become viable. Until then, treating it as already established assumes that the relevant evolutionary and organisational answers are incapable of containing the answer.


--------------------
I am whatever Darwin needs me to be.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Philosophies compared [Re: sudly]
    #29661111 -

I said "doesn't seem" rather than "cannot."

I'm open to the possibility that a complete evolutionary/organizational account could contain an answer, so I don't think we disagree much.

But there is presently an explanatory gap, with no clear account of how evolutionary or organizational facts would entail phenomenal experience. That's why it's called hard. It would also be presumptive to assume in advance that the gap must be scientifically solvable, even if that seems intuitive.

But, that kind of intuition is sometimes what drives discovery so if that's your position I have no reason to be overly critical of it.


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Problems in Philosophy: Knowledge chodamunky 1,167 3 05/03/04 08:38 AM
by TheShroomHermit
* Starting point of a (my) philosophy.
( 1 2 all )
Xanthas 3,657 25 04/13/06 01:20 PM
by RedNucleus
* The Suck: Strong Causality/Causal Determinism
( 1 2 all )
Sclorch 2,381 30 12/31/05 01:06 PM
by Sclorch
* Bad Philosophy Is Inconsistent
( 1 2 3 4 all )
SkorpivoMusterion 8,564 72 02/16/06 07:20 PM
by SkorpivoMusterion
* isn't functionality just a different kind of causality? Malachi 1,019 13 07/21/03 04:18 PM
by Sclorch
* A philosophy degree?
( 1 2 3 all )
rogue_pixie 7,974 57 11/30/04 05:05 AM
by rogue_pixie
* Craven's crazy druggie philosophy Mystical_Craven 619 1 06/29/02 11:31 AM
by deepr
* Philosophy Links
( 1 2 all )
Anonymous 6,732 36 05/25/04 09:26 AM
by Deviant

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
927 topic views. 2 members, 1 guests and 32 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.034 seconds spending 0.011 seconds on 18 queries.