Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale, Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Pictures of a noobs PF Tek | | | small update
    #29655613 -

Two week update and overview after inoculating and leaving them the F alone.
6 jars with one variety being albino Jack Frost.

1 - is showing no visible growth.
2 - are showing slow growth
2 - are showing pretty good/clean growth I think
1 - is showing growth with a weird brown area inside and may be questionable.

Lets start with the ugly duckling:





These photos are of one of the good growths. Had notice some small amounts of metabolites, but overall to my knowledge looks good:




This photo is the other good growth jar (the jar in the middle), didn't notice any metabolites in this:


These photos are of a the jar (one on the left) that has slow growth:



Being new I am not to worried about failing. I just want to learn and improve. Now don't get me wrong if one of these cakes makes it to dunking, rolling and the water tub with success. Mannnn will I be a happy galactic adventurer!:mushroom2: These poor mycelium guys have sure been through some hot temperature where I live, but I think they are powering through!

I have another 6 jars with Albino PE that not a single sign of visible growth yet. Granted all jars were inocculated into the middle. Jars look just like when they were inoculated. If I recall correctly, PE can be one of the slower growing varieties. I'm just letting everything be and see what happens in another week or two or three.

Love and Peace

Edited by FerengiTrader (08/26/26 03:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pictures of a noobs PF Tek | | | small update [Re: FerengiTrader]
    #29655628 -

Those jars look sus. Just wait another week or two, but temper your expectations.


--------------------



You have to die a few times before you can really live.

-Charles Bukowski-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pictures of a noobs PF Tek | | | small update [Re: LeopardMan]
    #29655655 -

Thanks for the response!

Hopefully at least one cake makes it out alive to be fruited. But if not then back to the drawing board for round two!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pictures of a noobs PF Tek | | | small update [Re: FerengiTrader]
    #29655660 -

That's the way :murray: A couple of suggestions: next time keep the substrate a little bit more on the dry side (maybe it's just the pictures but those look a tad wet to me). Also, try not to pack the substrate too tightly. Hope you can fruit at least some of those. GL


--------------------



You have to die a few times before you can really live.

-Charles Bukowski-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pictures of a noobs PF Tek | | | small update [Re: LeopardMan] * 1
    #29655676 -

I read in the PF updated tek not to pack the mixture, so tried to keep it a bit light. Although I could have done it I think a bit lighter than I did. Just need more experience :takingnotes:. Can't wait to find out the outcome regardless, it's very fascinating.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pictures of a noobs PF Tek | | | small update [Re: FerengiTrader]
    #29658962 -

Third week update: I definitely think that the BRF cakes are maybe too tightly packed. I did try to keep it light and fluffy, but need to do a better job next time.

The cake that I mentioned has weird brown in it (idk if lighting, or inside of cake is more moist, etc.) has noticeable small pinning inside. Still doesn't seem to be growing well because of the varied looking mycelium that's white and the areas that don't seem to be?  weird/funky. Should this go another week and then try to birth or just toss? Kind of  leaning to toss since it looks all kinds of F'd up. Like top left corner seems to have a more whispy growth (which I think is mold according to looking around the forums).



This cake seems to be almost done maybe 90% coverage. Can't tell if anything serious going on with it. Plan to birth, dunk, roll, unless I find out otherwise.



These cakes look about the same as the more colonized ones, just a bit farther behind on speed.




A couple of the APE BRF jars are showing growth now, some showing none. I think those are a slow growing variety? If no progress in X weeks, should they just be tossed?

Edited by FerengiTrader (09/01/26 12:51 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pictures of a noobs PF Tek | | | small update [Re: FerengiTrader]
    #29678539 -

Is this bruising or trichoderma?

I'm leaning more to bruising because one of the cakes has a little ball spot on the top that bruised early on and it seems to be the same color as the other cakes in question. If bruising... is that because they have been drying out before getting misted? (I know my surface conditions have sucked, will do better next run.)













Now I have made a bunch of mistakes from the start of creating the cakes all the way to trying to dial in the FC and messing with it too much. I love it, because I have learned so much already from my first try. Things that I will apply for the next time around!

The update:
I threw away 7 cakes after birthing because I could tell they were not good. Two cakes were placed in water tub on 9/15/26 and other 3 cakes on 9/17/26.

Being a noob, I was trying to mess with them too much as well as trying to dial in the FC. I didn't like what I was doing and read in the water tub tek that you can restrict FAE and "restart" the mycelium growth as newly regenerated mycelium after two days. The reason for this is that according to the postings by Mateja, freshly renewed mycelium will hold onto the water surface conditions. Matted or bad surface conditions will not hold the water beads no matter how much misting is done.

So I restarted for two days and cracked the lid on 9/21/26. I hope to get something fruitful from this attempt through all my mistakes. I pretty much have my FC dialed in where I am now seeing some results from one of the APE cakes. If this is the only cake that produces then I will be happy, but two other cakes (not the ones in question from the pics above) are showing hyphal knotting and I think will pin very soon.

I plan to bottom water this one if it doesn't show any more pins in the next couple days.


I'll also be using coir to cover the cake after dunking on my next run through based on all the people promoting it on the water tub tek.

Edited by FerengiTrader (09/25/26 09:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pictures of a noobs PF Tek | | | small update [Re: FerengiTrader]
    #29678554 -

Def not trich, bruising most likely. Trich is a denser more opaque white before it sporulates, and more obviously green after.

Quote:
I love it, because I have learned so much already from my first try. Things that I will apply for the next time around!



pro attitude :rockon:


--------------------


.~`  ๐”… ๐”ž ๐”ค ๐”ข ๐”ฉ  ๐Ÿฅฏ  ๐”… ๐”ฆ ๐”ฑ ๐”ข ๐”ฐ  `~.
:salute: CAKE WARS III HAPPENING NOW :salute:

๐Ÿงช Castellani Preservation | ๐Ÿ”ฌ The Slidewich | โ˜ ๏ธ Touchless skull sterilizer | ๐Ÿ“ธ Agar plate scanner


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Pictures of a noobs PF Tek | | | small update [Re: Rasmodius]
    #29678585 -

Yeah it seems like you're making all the right moves, keep it up

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale, Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* PF Tek Terrarium Alternatives? goldenora 4,908 10 03/23/03 05:33 PM
by goldenora
* Why is the PF tek recommended for newbies? GaryW 11,137 8 07/27/02 07:08 AM
by SwondPooping
* Newbie on PF Tek
( 1 2 all )
hazeblaze 6,798 26 04/11/17 08:55 PM
by tanoak
* too much BRF in PF TEK? ANNO? nw2shroom 2,808 3 05/23/02 12:53 PM
by nw2shroom
* PF Tek - Tape On Holes Question fireworks_godS 11,085 5 04/20/02 09:59 AM
by fireworks_god
* PF Tek is shitty
( 1 2 all )
igore 5,092 21 07/10/03 09:50 PM
by Anonymous
* PF TEK please RATE my PROGRESS, any suggestions? PooGrower 2,172 9 11/21/02 10:07 AM
by dog
* Can Contam Spread From Jar To Jar?? (pf tek brf) PooGrower 5,039 7 12/04/02 02:18 AM
by Bi0TeK

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
170 topic views. 6 members, 40 guests and 98 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.