Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: cronicr] * 8
    #29347778 -

I don’t know if this counts as cultivation but i’ll share anyway.

Four years ago I found a small amount of luteofolius growing in the in the wild on oak close to where the original type collection was found, and so sent in a sample that Alan Rockefeller kindly sequenced https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/OL629079.1

It was only a very small amount, only a couple of pins. The even smaller amount that I kept that I did not send to Alan I ground up into a powder and added to a 2 gallon watering jug and poured it all over a truckload of fresh wood chips from chip drop (so a mix of a lot of pineneedles and mostly pine wood maybe some hardwood, lots of poison ivy, etc.). I had no expectations at all more curiosity, but honestly I haven’t even thought of it sense. Last fall I turned the chip pile over to continue breaking them down and just the other day I randomly spotted a few fruits!

I have looked far and wide for these in my area in the wild, but have only found them that one time, this is my second find. So either they randomly found me again in this chip drop pile or they’ve been stewing for four years and I either didn’t see them or they didn’t fruit..






Nice surprise either way!


--------------------
👁️ 🌊 why you are empty.

Hunt for the habitat not the mushroom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: Icyurmt]
    #29347801 -

Sounds like a cultivation to me! Hell yeah that's dope 😎

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: Icyurmt]
    #29347867 -

Nice bro. I love the little lychee-textured pins and their pink color when they're real young. I think what you did, on regards to sending the mushroom to get sequenced and sprinkle mush powder on your woodchip pile is a step in moving mycology in the upmost noble direction. Can you imagine, "Anthropological Mycology"? The Navajo already have a word for this mushroom. It is very possible that they and other agrarian tribes cultivated Gymnopilus luteofolius, as well as the Midwest and east Coast species of Gymnopilus. Imagine this species 1,000 years ago being cultivated in some rudimentary form like this which is obviously possible so they could have a supply of psychoactive sacrament for their healers and coming of age ceremonies. If you eat the Gymns you harvest I encourage you to make a trip report and post it either here or Erowid.  They have no luteofolius trip reports.


--------------------
In this life, trust is a luxury we cannot afford.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: CrimsonRambeler] * 1
    #29355887 -

Hello everyone! I'll be honest, I feel a bit anxious posting here for the first time.

A couple months ago I found a single mushroom that I am fairly sure was G. Luteus on a walk in the woods. Some bugs had gotten to it before me so it was in pretty bad shape. But I've yet to find any other bright yellow saprophyte, with rusty spores, that smells like anise and grows near me. I posted the pictures on another identification site but forgot to take more before it crumbled to dust in my drying rack. I'm probably being paranoid, but I'd rather not connect that account to this one with the pictures now. An unfortunate oversight. But since I'm so confident in my identification skills, why not try to grow it and see?

For the past month or so I've been scouring the forum for information. I did a regrettable amount of aimless searching before finding BeefSupremeJr's HHG. When I finally did I decided agar was just approachable enough for me to bumble through. I've got some very shoddy looking plates that I transferred spores to a couple days ago. They look even worse now that I gouged the fuck out of them with my homemade inoculation loop and bad technique. I'm certain these are the first mistakes of many. I'll be excited to share pictures of my agar atrocities when they start growing things. I'll take the lack of any visible life as a positive sign for now. I've got some fragments of the stipe, which did not crumble to dust luckily, in a jar of water. I don't have access to RR's post about reviving dried mushrooms for agar yet, but I've gleaned enough from the posts they've made elsewhere about it to give it a go.

I'd like to thank everyone that's contributed their experience to this thread specifically. I've spent a lot of time pouring through this thread in particular learning about what's worked and not worked for everyone else with Gymns. I'm hoping to contribute some experiences eventually too. It feels a bit like the Gymn chose me when I eyed that lone yellow mushroom on that log, so I feel a sort of duty to give it a try, even if it's going to be unnecessarily hard for a beginner like me. Being way in over my head has never stopped me from doing any number of things before.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: GymnCarrey] * 1
    #29356014 -

Awesome, welcome to the Shroomery gymn.
Don't be shy about posting pics here. We just want to help you and see you succeed.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: GymnCarrey]
    #29356153 -

Of course Gymn, clever name btw. Forget finding any other information, and just grow them like cubensis. If you insist on more hands on instruction outside of what is easily available/accessible; Pheno does do paid consultations. If he for some reason is unavailable for that, I can put together a package, but when you think you got the agar right, go ahead and order spores from my website. The prices there should give you an idea on what you will be expecting in regards to any sort of consultation package I would feel compelled to put together. I charge a premium because I absolutely do not mind giving an inquisitive newcomer direction and advice but I have to guard my time and energy as I work two commission jobs and do the Mycology full time so I will be as patient as possible with the learning part but I'm not here to stroke anyone's ego nor my own, and my time being extremely freaking valuable I think it's prudent to disclaim that these are the greatest thing that has happened to Mycology, get to the Gymn if you're really about it! I'd love for you to get some spores from me, you'd be my first customer and I'd likely be able to engage in deeper dialog with you about Gymnopilus, luteofolius and other species.


--------------------
In this life, trust is a luxury we cannot afford.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: CrimsonRambeler] * 6
    #29356172 -

Update, my friend has declared the third flush of Evening Creek Gymnopilus luteofolius hath arrived. This one is beyond any doubts most similarly looking to the original generation that the spores came from. Very eye-cathing, I do believe luteofolius to be worth its salt in so many wonderful ways. I think these would be as potent as cubensis, as well as having something that inhibits your nicotine receptor ought to be helpful in treating nicotine compulsion. They're so beautiful, and if bulk is what you're worried about, allow me to allay your concern with these pictures:








--------------------
In this life, trust is a luxury we cannot afford.

Edited by CrimsonRambeler (09/26/25 06:59 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: CrimsonRambeler]
    #29358166 -

Beautiful!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: Mahdi] * 1
    #29358311 -

Mahdi said:
Churpee Choozle said:
I inoculated logs with Gymn luteus. Wanted to get my feet wet indoors too, so I spawned a jar to sterilized chips.

They keep pinning but nothing really grows... It's the Penis Pity of Gymns... Glad I still have the logs. Could I still spawn these jars to chips outside? Zero experience with Gymns.






I would cut holes in the bag and place it in a Martha or large tub to maintain humidity.
I think that if you try to simulate a colonized log with your grow bag like people do with Lion's Mane and Turkey tail,
or even a 5 gallon bucket with holes like people do with Oysters, you should get good results with luteus (and subspectibilis).
However, I believe luteofolius, purpuratus, and dilepis can be fruited on a flat surface, like cubes.

Pics to help visualize what I mean





And lastly a picture of G. luteus growing naturally.





I find this bucket method for gyms really intriguing. Thanks for posting.
Might have to give this a go on a small scale with subspectibilis once I get these clones to agar.




--------------------
For it is only Darkness that crafts one to thrive in the Light. As illumination of the soul, its brilliance unmatched.
               
                    🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕
  :sporedrop:Gymnopilus subspectibilis grow log:sporedrop:             
•89g fresh subspectibilis tea•
•Rapéh Crafters•
• Gift yourself a healthy dose of Self banning•

Edited by Soloist (09/28/25 09:49 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: Soloist]
    #29359712 -

Thanks for sharing! I think luteofolius could perhaps do well side fruiting, but may be just as valid fruited in the tub like I showed earlier. That's good you found some luteus. Alot of people are finding them recently, however, they have yet to be found in the Southwest USA. I imagine, most cultivators in the Southwest, if that's the locality of their focus they may have never seen a luteus or subspectabilis. This might even extend to forages. I've seen alot of pictures of luteus, but never in person, and I likely could not distinguish it from subspectabilis, if I found either in person. Those mushrooms won't clone themselves onto agar! Get to it!


--------------------
In this life, trust is a luxury we cannot afford.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: CrimsonRambeler] * 8
    #29359744 -

Follow up with my outdoor patch; we’ve had several days of rain and tons of little guys popped up with even more pins. Very pretty mushrooms.





This is what they turned into.



--------------------
👁️ 🌊 why you are empty.

Hunt for the habitat not the mushroom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: Icyurmt] * 4
    #29360842 -

Alas, tragedy struck today and my two biggest "pins" toppled over, just as the caps were starting to expand.



Hopefully I can still coax a few to maturity, but I've been battling fungal gnats, so I'm not sure how much longer I can keep going with this experiment.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: Icyurmt] * 1
    #29363584 -

Gorgeous pics. I still don't even really know what I am looking at, if thats a painting or mural, but I absolutely love it, and I would love to see it framed as I do think it looks like such a thoughtful and inventive type of art. Ah, so you now have had tea of Gymnopilus luteofolius. What was it like?


--------------------
In this life, trust is a luxury we cannot afford.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: CrimsonRambeler] * 2
    #29363767 -

CrimsonRambeler said:
Gorgeous pics. I still don't even really know what I am looking at, if thats a painting or mural, but I absolutely love it, and I would love to see it framed as I do think it looks like such a thoughtful and inventive type of art. Ah, so you now have had tea of Gymnopilus luteofolius. What was it like?




:thanx:

Thats a spore print of Beatrix Potter; 136 G. luteofolius prints and a handful of Pluteus for the face (both from the same woodchip pile), its not quite finished yet. No paint or ink, or anything like that, just mushroom spores on black paper. B.Potter was a very talented illustrator of fungi and also the author of the children’s book “the tale of Peter rabbit”.

I’ve been working on a series of them, mostly of mycologists https://sportrait.crevado.com/


As for the tea, I had to mix it with some guava and passion fruit juice to get it down, which helped a lot. I think these were even worse tasting then G.luteus (at least those smell good fresh) and a little less potent too, but maybe it’s just been a while and I forgot how bitter they are. I kept tasting them throughout the night, like bitter funky wood chips 🤢. They still had a similar drunken/sedated feeling though; a really heavy sluggish body load like luteus did. I thought I used a good amount (didn’t weigh them, probably 8-10g), only ended up maybe a little above a museum dose, more body load than anything, some CEV and movement but less then I expected. I made a small fire during the come up and ended up quickly ditching that to go lay down inside with my electric blanket, some blue planet, and a joint which was wonderful. Overall light, but enjoyable other than the taste. Tbh, they make better spore prints then tea.


--------------------
👁️ 🌊 why you are empty.

Hunt for the habitat not the mushroom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: Icyurmt] * 3
    #29364339 -

Finally got to cloning after a week in my fridge.
:biggestfan:


Edited by Soloist (10/04/25 03:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: Soloist] * 1
    #29364352 -

There ya go, bro! Niceness. I've taken to dragging gill fragments along the agar w/o leaving it on the dish, cause I suck at cloning! I've heard of people soaking the entire mushroom in iso alch and then going in for their tissue culture. I wonder if the same principle works just instead of iso one uses H202?
I see people have much less bacteria than me when it comes to cloning, but thats okay, I'm good at other things.
How are you planning on fruiting your luteus?


--------------------
In this life, trust is a luxury we cannot afford.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: Icyurmt] * 1
    #29364375 -

So you create a template and the image is just the negative relief area?  That's fucking badass I always wondered how you did that and figured it was with computers and shit but when you said no ink, just construction paper, that's what got the wheels turning. Beautiful art man, I love it. :heartpump:


--------------------


"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper.  Go to the country, build you a home."

- John Prine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: Icyurmt] * 1
    #29364382 -

You're welcome. Its funny just the page before someone mentioned Gymnopilus makes sexy prints. Gymn tea man, sounds similar to my 11 gram trip I had with a homie of luteofolius.
I think he tripped harder than me, but I had some nice cev combined with some cannabis.
With your bitter ones, I would have added honey!
The tea he and I had was not bitter. I was able to save genetics of that strain. Lmk if you want spores


--------------------
In this life, trust is a luxury we cannot afford.

Edited by CrimsonRambeler (10/04/25 04:22 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: CrimsonRambeler]
    #29364394 -

CrimsonRambeler said:
There ya go, bro! Niceness. I've taken to dragging gill fragments along the agar w/o leaving it on the dish, cause I suck at cloning! I've heard of people soaking the entire mushroom in iso alch and then going in for their tissue culture. I wonder if the same principle works just instead of iso one uses H202?
I see people have much less bacteria than me when it comes to cloning, but thats okay, I'm good at other things.
How are you planning on fruiting your luteus?



Personally I just rip open the fruit by hand and cut a small piece out to place on agar. It’s just a crapshoot imo whether or not you get clean tissue. I’ve heard some species just harbor more bacteria than others.
Even on cultivated fruits I’ve had hella bacteria on a clone plate.
Truthfully I’ve only tried washing a fruit before cloning once, and that was a morel so you can’t really tear it open and get a good piece of flesh.
Used simple distilled water and agitated it in a jar a few shakes.
Honestly some plates contaminated, some didn’t. Luck of the draw.

These are actually subspectibilis, and as far as fruiting goes I’m most likely going to run them a few ways honestly. I’ll try my hand at an indoor shoebox, make some grain or AIO jars to seed an outdoor bed, as well as make some LC to take on a walk in the forest with and nocc up some habitat with.


--------------------
For it is only Darkness that crafts one to thrive in the Light. As illumination of the soul, its brilliance unmatched.
               
                    🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕
  :sporedrop:Gymnopilus subspectibilis grow log:sporedrop:             
•89g fresh subspectibilis tea•
•Rapéh Crafters•
• Gift yourself a healthy dose of Self banning•

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Gymnopilus cultivation [Re: Soloist]
    #29367812 -

Total crapshoot, but one worth trying nonetheless. I think I successfully cloned my first wild find of Gymnopilus luteofolius this late spring. I've found many San Diego strains, but this one was the first I was able to successfully clone. Even then, I had many plates tam up. I did have good success with a giant puffball I found, I ought to get that one up and running too. Thanks for sharing all that, makes sense why the morel clones I took from a wild find had about 4 different contams spread evenly though out four plates!
Win some lose some, thats cool these are subspectabilis. I still get luteus and subspectabilis mixed up despite seeing them posted on the FB group almost every day this season. I believe it has something to do with never seeing it in person. At the same time, Gymnopilus seems to have the ability to project wildly different phenotypes at any one time or patch. Squatty luteofolius was a neat find I would like to replicate from my Evening Creek strain. I also remember seeing a while back somebody found an albino Gymnopilus luteus.

Well thats cool, my Gymn genetics I plan on running a few different ways as well. Mostly experiments with wood amended grain, regular spawn, and nutritional and non nutritional substrates. While walking around the woods with a pump sprayer full of LC sounds like the most appealing thing in the world to my brain, when I did it with blue oyster myc, it ended up getting caught in the sprayer and it didnt work after a short while. Any ideas on getting around that?


--------------------
In this life, trust is a luxury we cannot afford.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* *DELETED* Cultivate 2,970 8 04/14/08 06:12 AM
by HerbBaker
* Newbie planning first cultivation. hX_ 775 6 05/31/08 04:48 PM
by Neobean
* All Of RR's Notes On Mushroom Cultivation Forum
( 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 all )
dumbfounded1600 224,541 181 01/17/22 08:33 AM
by TheStallionMang
* Psilocybin Azurescens Indoor Cultivation Experiment... doctor_kandee 3,232 2 02/22/05 04:37 PM
by doctor_kandee
* Dedicated To Agar 'Mushroom Cultivation' AND Links/Grow Logs/Other
( 1 2 3 4 all )
dumbfounded1600 49,128 60 09/16/10 04:41 PM
by RogerRabbit
* Post Your Cultivation Picture of The Day
( 1 2 3 4 ... 8720 8721 )
saralove 5,226,627 174,407 10/05/26 06:23 PM
by ReverendMyc
* IMPORTANT: Interesting discovery may solve weilii cultivation problems! Lysergic_Milkman 1,892 7 10/19/05 07:29 PM
by Lysergic_Milkman
* Correct medium and process for cultivation of cyanacens Silverwolf 631 1 10/24/03 05:32 AM
by Paid

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
15,502 topic views. 15 members, 64 guests and 158 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.047 seconds spending 0.017 seconds on 18 queries.