Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
IMPORTANT: Interesting discovery may solve weilii cultivation problems!
    #4826246 - 10/19/05 05:32 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I made an interesting discovery today while i was checking my Psilocybe weilii patch. I have searched the archives to see if a similar discovery has been made, but it appears that mine was the first:

First, i'd like to show you one of the beautiful spcimens growing from my patch:

Pretty?

Now, here's the interesting thing. I found a sizeable chunck of dirt that was loose, and containing mycelium, so i said, "what the heck, ill bring it home and start my own patch."
Well, upon breaking the dirt ball open, i found this:

A pine cone!

This may explain why no one can find a suitable substrate for this species! They must require a woody, acidic substrate (like pine cones or "gumballs" [the spikey balls that fall from gumball trees]).
I am by no means an expert cultivator, but i would be more than happy to donate a few weilii prints to any pro who is willing to test my theory.
Intelligent feedback and speculations are welcome.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsiloman
Male
Loc: Europe
Re: IMPORTANT: Interesting discovery may solve weilii cultivation problems! [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4826292 - 10/19/05 05:44 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Now ,thats Interesting!

As i see from the picture the pinecone is indeed infected with the mycelium.Why dont you try to collect some pinecones,break them into pieces and inoculate ,maybe with a liquid culture of Weilli?

By the way,since im tottaly unfamiliar with this species,would you mind telling me where it stands potency wise? I really love its morphology!

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: IMPORTANT: Interesting discovery may solve weilii cultivation problems! [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4826300 - 10/19/05 05:45 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Nice observation. From Sporework's website, re: weilii: "P. weilii is described as growing in red-clay soils covered with a thin layer of loblolly pine needles underneath sweetgum trees."

Also, Cultivation of Psilocybe weilii calls for composted hardwoods, or sawdust.

What % of the pine cone appeared to be colonized, 100? Just curious.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Invisiblemskip23
Can It All Be So Simple!
 User Gallery

Loc: Philly
    #4826303 - 10/19/05 05:46 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

well I finally got my hands on some weilii prints and I got them growing out on agar right now so I guess when it comes time to transfer a wedge to substrate(i hope this will happen) I will try pine cones or something similar. maybe you can send me some of that earth in the future if everything works out. I'm also going to try Hardwood Sawdust, horse manure Wheat Grain, Vermiculite, Water. Maybe instead of hardwood sawdust I could use pine cone grinded up..idk....

--------------------
url=https://files.shroomery.org/files/05-26/988356075-Picture-278.gif][/url

Invisiblemskip23
Can It All Be So Simple!
 User Gallery

Loc: Philly
Re: IMPORTANT: Interesting discovery may solve weilii cultivation problems! [Re: mskip23]
    #4826319 - 10/19/05 05:49 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

do all your patches occur near pine trees or gumballs?

--------------------
url=https://files.shroomery.org/files/05-26/988356075-Picture-278.gif][/url

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Re: IMPORTANT: Interesting discovery may solve weilii cultivation problems! [Re: mskip23]
    #4826395 - 10/19/05 06:05 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Psiloman said:
mind telling me where it stands potency wise? I really love its morphology!

Dry Psilocybe weilii are 1.2 to 2 times as potent as dry Psilocybe cubensis. Fresh weilii are even stronger by weight than fresh cubes.

Quote:

Holydiver said:
Nice observation. From Sporework's website, re: weilii: "P. weilii is described as growing in red-clay soils covered with a thin layer of loblolly pine needles underneath sweetgum trees."

Also, Cultivation of Psilocybe weilii calls for composted hardwoods, or sawdust.

What % of the pine cone appeared to be colonized, 100? Just curious.

Yes, i'm aware of the habitat of weilii, but i didn't know that poeple were alrdeay trying to use wood for cultivation. Maybe the acidity of the pine or some other factor makes it a better substrate.
The cone appeared to be almost entirely colonized, not 100% though. I didn't break it open so i can't give you an accurate guess.

Quote:

mskip23 said:

This particular patch is right off the side of the road, on a very steep shoulder that goes down into a pine forest with a creek running through it near the mycelium.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #4826549 - 10/19/05 06:52 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mskip23 said:

it's actualy sweetgum, patches can also occur in burmuda grass in newer subdivisions, 2+ years old

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Re: IMPORTANT: Interesting discovery may solve weilii cultivation problems! [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #4826688 - 10/19/05 07:29 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
it's actualy sweetgum...

Yeah, that's what i meant of course.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck