Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 |  [ show all ]
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: catnip40] * 2
    #29130843 -

Freezing is a good starting point because we don't have access to anything that could go further than whatever x persons coldest winter produces. We know from my previous post that spores survive the standard max temp setting on the average dehydrator.

I bet they'd survive the Svalbard seed bank standard of -18.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: Stipe-n Cap] * 3
    #29130851 -

I have some syringes that are almost 15 years old. They produce mycelium on agar, but are so filled with various molds that I have written them off as useless. This is interesting, I might have to try it.


--------------------
I've got skills, they don't know where to use me
I'm like the best dressed guy at the nude beach
Nice to meet you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: PuffM4gicDr4gon]
    #29130859 -

ya interesting stuff to consider

i actually just found some info regarding freezing psilocybe spores but i dont want to take ur thread off on a tangent :crazy2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: catnip40] * 1
    #29130868 -

Well now I gotta know...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: Stipe-n Cap] * 1
    #29130883 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: catnip40] * 1
    #29130899 -

:nothingtoadd:

I will try the dehydrator method 4 hours a syringe.  3 jars before to grain and 3 jars after the cooking . I'll report back in 4 days. I know it's not the best practice, but if doing culture work on agar I personally don't see the point or value in a test.


--------------------
The better guide to grow mushrooms.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8553541

Beware the power of one.  The power of two. The power of many.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: vicepope]
    #29130937 -

sous vide ur spore syringe then get back to me :takingnotes:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: Stipe-n Cap]
    #29131000 -

That is one hell of an idea. Edit: if I were to use this for cleaning up dirty / wild prints... Would the preparation of the prints matter? For example if I dry my prints in a very cold location, would the same formation of endospores occur? (As these would be the most likely canidates to come spoil the project after pasteurization). Or the exact reverse, would drying at pasteurization temps positively influence the amount of contaminants that survived vs the amount of spores that stays viable?

And does this only fly for thick-walled grassland / dung species? Sorry if I missed a woodlover being revived in the other thread. But I only have experience with reviving cube spores and a friend just revived gill fragments of semilanceata.

Edited by Churpee Choozle (02/19/25 02:59 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: catnip40] * 3
    #29131097 -

catnip40 said:
how far do you reckon this goes in the other direction? spores surely last below freezing right?

I've heard people mention that cubes dont exist outside their native range not because of the cold winters/weather its because outside the gulf/native range theres not enough moisture for them to exist. but in reality it prob has to do with both of those equally

i'm not sure i have ever actually tried to find out what temp or how long at "what" temp a cube spore dies though and i dont really think theres any actual information on that either lol



I have no experience with spores, but cubensis mycelium survives freezing for extended periods. I’ve revived cubensis mycelium that was in the freezer for a year. I would think spores would be even more cold hardy. I guess my question is what do you gain by freezing spores? I understand the utility of pasteurized spores when trying to save a contaminated culture, but freezing?

Back to the main question, I have a number of old spore syringes lying around that have pretty terrible bacterial contamination. I also use my dehydrator as a poor man’s pastuerizer quite a bit. I can squirt a bit of solution into a cryovial and run it through next time I run the dehydrator. Sounds like it would work.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: Churpee Choozle] * 1
    #29131130 -

This should be tried with all available species. Wild prints are particularly messy, so yes, I think they're great candidates. As far as endospores go, we're not looking for sterility, just a cleaner end product. I doubt that endospores are present in great numbers mingled with the average print or syringe.

160°F shouldn't be an issue, so perhaps a higher initial temp will help reduce any dialing, with enough people involved I'm sure we can get this thing dialed in. Keep in mind that any dehydrator will have a serious spore load which may produce a false negative when attempting to streak solution for testing due to cross contamination. 

The sous vide max temp should be between ~ 185-195°F (85-90°C), and will not produce an any external bioload for cross contamination. Something to think about.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: Stipe-n Cap] * 1
    #29131138 -

So you're suggesting dehydrating spores to clean them beforehand?

Interesting idea, I'll give it a go this weekend.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: DERRAYLD] * 5
    #29131140 -

I'm suggesting heat treating the ms solution to reduce bioburden. Folks are suggesting using the dehydrator as the heat source, however:

Keep in mind that use of a dehydrator as a  heat source may cause issue when testing the effectiveness of this technique on agar. Any dehydrator will have a serious spore-load which may produce a false negative when attempting to streak solution for testing, due to cross contamination.

A proper water bath will reduce the likelihood of cross contamination.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: Stipe-n Cap] * 5
    #29131145 -

Okay? That's just as easy to test.
Let me do a water bath this weekend with some spore solution.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: DERRAYLD] * 2
    #29131146 -

Looking forward to it. :popcorn:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: Stipe-n Cap] * 5
    #29131147 -

Time to get my lazy ass back into cult.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: Stipe-n Cap] * 1
    #29131149 -

I'll take samples from dehydrated woodlover fruits and give it a swirl as soon as I use the PC (for sterilization of tools, sterile water) again.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: Churpee Choozle]
    #29131180 -

:shrug: u may be on to something


--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: Churpee Choozle]
    #29131182 -

Does it have to be suspended in water?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: DV8DUG] * 2
    #29131186 -

The spores absolutely need to be suspended in water.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Spore cleaning without a centrifuge or agar [Re: Stipe-n Cap] * 3
    #29131254 -

I have leftover semperviva caps that I printed last month. They’ve been sitting in an open jar on the bench so they aren’t clean. I could load 1/4 pint jars with distilled and caps and use the dehydrator @160f for  various times. Pull up samples in syringes and test.
I’ll run a print same method and a control jar with distilled to check water temperatures.
See if I think of anything else while the coffee kicks in.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Spores on agar question .More info plz tripndicular 4,878 5 09/13/02 05:27 PM
by tripndicular
* spore printing - comments please shirley knott 2,448 15 04/24/03 05:38 AM
by Mike Elium
* Sterility of spore prints? esjay 1,532 17 08/12/03 02:05 AM
by esjay
* Benefits of Agar? celsius 10,018 10 12/01/19 12:36 AM
by wildernessjunkie
* SPORES mushystuf 1,512 11 09/21/02 10:31 AM
by matts
* The secret of Agar JetBlackNinja 1,994 11 12/17/03 05:23 PM
by llamaboy
* Spore Growing / Duplicating? ... True Mycology Help Needed Nenni 1,927 7 05/23/03 11:16 PM
by Nenni
* Where to get Agar for cloning? Earth Shaman 1,057 1 11/07/02 02:06 PM
by zeta

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
9,554 topic views. 17 members, 86 guests and 119 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.