Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
spore printing - comments please
    #1469500 - 04/18/03 05:31 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

hey shroomers. :smile:

up to now i've always made prints/syringes in one go (print onto the bottom of a sterile jar, add sterile water and a little sterile gravel, shake like mad, suck up the spore water). so this is my first time making prints for prints.

I had to really, as these (presumed) Malabars  (in this thread *here*) were too good not to share - they're mostly going to the free spore ring europe. actually the prints were taken from fruits on a second tub - same wbs spawn cased directly for comparison. smaller, but the same genetics.

Here's a pictorial: ... ...

pre-folded foil sterilised with alcohol. shroom picked. clean pin placed in the cap. holding pin, stem cut off with a sterile blade. cap placed on sterile foil, atop clean teatowel, and covered with an alcohol-rim-swabbed glass: glass does not completely seal the spore-dropping zone, so humidity can escape. whole deal covered with another clean teatowel, and left alone in a dark cool drawer.

after about 36h, i'll carefully remove the top cover, remove glasses one by one, reswabbing the other foil-half before folding over, sealing edges, and bagging up.

whatcha think? should i wait to dry the print before bagging? any advice welcomed  :tongue:   

--------------------
buh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: spore printing - comments please [Re: shirley knott]
    #1469505 - 04/18/03 05:37 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

>should i wait to dry the print before bagging?

Yes, you?ll have to to that.

Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Loc: istanbul
Re: spore printing - comments please [Re: Anno]
    #1469807 - 04/18/03 09:24 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

and you should wait the dry for syringe making

--------------------
mushroom culture history making ...Mr. Allan is the best .....

Edited by fugu (04/18/03 09:26 AM)

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1469825 - 04/18/03 09:34 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

My friend prints on laminated index cards. After he puts on the top card, he places one piece of tape on two edges of the card and then puts the card in a desiccant chamber for a day or two. After he takes the card out of the desiccant he finishes sealing it with tape.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: spore printing - comments please [Re: fugu]
    #1469849 - 04/18/03 09:55 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

>and you should wait the dry for syringe making

No, fugu, if you make the syringes right away, there is no need to dry the print.

You have to dry the print only if you want to store it.

Understandable?

Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Re: spore printing - comments please [Re: Anno]
    #1469935 - 04/18/03 10:19 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

>Understandable?
yes
just an old knowledge from the community.i didnt wait the dry for syringe also.

--------------------

Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Re: spore printing - comments please [Re: fugu]
    #1469944 - 04/18/03 10:22 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

so what is the point.it dries in the bags also.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1469950 - 04/18/03 10:23 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

just how important really is sterility when making prints? it seems like most people allow the foil to come in contact with dirty air when they make prints. i'd have thought that printmaking would have to be a totally sterile procedure. no?

Offlinefugu
Pooh-Bah

Re: spore printing - comments please [Re: ]
    #1469966 - 04/18/03 10:27 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

if make your prints as shirley style you will have a big chance to open a way for contamination for agar work.but it works for syringes

--------------------

OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
    #1470000 - 04/18/03 10:35 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

just how important really is sterility when making prints? it seems like most people allow the foil to come in contact with dirty air when they make prints. i'd have thought that printmaking would have to be a totally sterile procedure. no? 

Printing seems to be very forgiving, eh?

:smile:

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: spore printing - comments please [Re: BigJohnson]
    #1472664 - 04/19/03 05:41 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

if the print isnt as sterile as possible you run a greater risk of a contaminated syringe, if the syringe is contaminated....any jar or substrate you inoculate will also be contaminated....I recieved 3 B+ syringes that were contaminated once...I usualy test a syringe I didn make on 3 jars with one inoculation point each....

you loose less in that way and you have a product to return to the vendor should he inquire...if the print is contaminated....invest in agar...dont use the cheesy assed tek that I am credited for...it does work but you have to use more sterility procedure than with agar if you arent careful...

P#1

Offlinemarccann
Loc: b.c canada
Re: spore printing - comments please [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #1486820 - 04/23/03 04:27 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

what do u do with the spore once you have it on the tin foil any teks on gettin it into a syringe

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: spore printing - comments please [Re: marccann]
    #1486844 - 04/23/03 04:35 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

>THIS< is what the faqs recommend, and i've had good success with it.

these prints came out nice and dark, btw, and were (mostly) posted today to the fsre. if you want one, write to them! :smile: 

--------------------
buh

OfflineMike Elium
.the Mycelium

Loc: on the edge
    #1486848 - 04/23/03 04:36 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mushmaster, for Prints I have wondered about that very same thing. Some teks recommend swabbing the top of the cap with iodine, etc...... But there is nothing done to sterilize the mushroom gills themselves, which are also exposed to dirty air. Even if working in front of a flow hood, the gills are exposed to dirty air for some significant amount of time, after the veil tears and while still growing.

--------------------
your inside is out, and your outside is in.

Edited by Mike Elium (04/23/03 04:53 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: spore printing - comments please [Re: Mike Elium]
    #1486897 - 04/23/03 04:55 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

If you're going to be streaking the spores onto agar, there's no need to be sterile in taking the print. I don't even put a glass or bowl over the cap. Just lay it on a piece of typing paper, and set a coffee filter over the top. After you streak the agar dish, watch it daily, and when the spores germinate and grow half a cm or so, take a small piece of mycelium from the FARTHEST away from the point of germination, and transfer it to a new petri dish. Discard the original. This allows the mycelium to outrun the contams, and you can get clean cultures this way. Of course, doing it this way, you'd just drop the agar wedges into your grain, as opposed to making syringes. One petri dish can innoc 10 quarts of rye or corn. Much faster/safer, imo.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineMike Elium
.the Mycelium

Loc: on the edge
Re: spore printing - comments please [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #1488493 - 04/24/03 05:38 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

RogerR

I know Shirley Knott's initial post focused on the actual making of clean prints which IS highly desirable esp when donating your work to others as Shirley is generously doing via the FSR (SHIRLEY....COOL thing to do, and with so much care...!!!)

But RogerR, the procedure you apparently normally apply by first using agar and selection of clean myc does seem to be a wise approach......since it "leverages" a sporeprint even if the print happened to be less than perfect in terms of sterility. Does this approach add much time to the whole cult process (compared to direct innoc of substrate with spores), or is it the same in the end (I think you actually implied "faster").

--------------------
your inside is out, and your outside is in.

Edited by Mike Elium (04/24/03 05:43 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale