Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBolwarra
Stranger

Loc: Australia
ID help please
    #2850290 - 07/02/04 05:25 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I found a number of these while on a hunt early this week.
They instantly reminded me of Gynopilus spp,
but i haven't found a Gym before and wouldn't hazard an ID to species.
So maybe someone here can share some info.

Habitat:

Temperate pasture NSW (coastal), few cattle.
Growing from the base the base of a Sydney Blue Gum (Eucalyptus saligna) Still living, predominantly Paspalum spp pasture.

Description

Cap: Rusty orange to brown, smooth-dry, not separable from Stem. 5-18 cm wide. hemispheric to broadly convex to plane with age, veil remnants fibrilose concentrated in center, dark orange brown. Margin slightly incurved, yellow to orange brown.
Gills: Adnate to subdeccurent? Spacing close. Orange brown.
Spores: Light brown, possibly rough? (My scope isn't clear)
Stem: Yellow/orange 1-2 cm wide,- 6-12 cm, unequal, usually thicker at base, firm. bruising orange/brown.
Annulus: present, dusted with orange/brown spores.

Growing gregariously 20+ specimens,largest cap in the below picture was 11 cm, largest found was around 18.

and the pics...

-

thanks.

--------------------

Edited by Bolwarra (07/02/04 09:29 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: ID help please [Re: Bolwarra]
    #2850320 - 07/02/04 05:52 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Definately a gym- as to what variety I could not be sure and nor could many people.  Really a beautiful find- eventually they should bruise a little green/blue (for some reason more greenish blue in gyms) but regardless should eventually- some don't noticeably.  Will occur at the base of the mushrooms stems and maybe on the stems- the caps won't blue for me well at all.  I can dispose of such hazardous items for you and keep Australia a safe place to live. :mrt: Mr. T says: Gyms good- eat your vegtables- don't do drugs- stay in school- drink milk.

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #2850776 - 07/02/04 10:50 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

i have found a gym spectibilis before and it looked alot like that! but gymnopilus sp. are very hard to identify and only a few people on here can tell you what kind that is... wait for someone like GG and possibly Toxic to identify this species for you so that u may know if its the good kind or not.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2850844 - 07/02/04 11:05 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Those are definately Gymnopilus mushrooms.

The first thing to observe when keying Gymno's down to correct species is if they have a veil or no veil.
-Your Gymns have a veil.

Judging from the size and appearance and presence of a veil and no blue or blue/green bruising reaction, your specimens are likely Gymnopilus spectabilis.

They could also possibly be G. junious (i think i spelled that wrong).

Keep shroomin,
GG

InvisibleBolwarra
Stranger

Loc: Australia
Re: ID Gym. [Re: Bolwarra]
    #2852655 - 07/02/04 09:45 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

YAY!

superbling; thanks, i haven't noticed any blue/green reaction just a slight orange/brown, i won't now i suppose as i began preserving them.

Hopefully when the rain cometh i'll be able to get some shots of them in their natural habitat, and also look for fresh bruising. maybe even get some viable prints.

I'll try and track down some info on P. spectabilis and P. junonius. thanks for that GGreatOne. i was just hoping for a confirmation on genera, but that helps heps.

cheers all.

Edited by Bolwarra (07/03/04 04:48 AM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID help please [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #2852663 - 07/02/04 09:49 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

i have to second GG's assertion.

btw: i believe it's G. junionus.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies