Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinepete_gasparino
Aussie ID request
    #1448625 - 04/11/03 02:43 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Hi,
went for a walk today after an evening of rain and there was alot around - I live in south coast NSW, went for a look in a bushy environment where there were quite a few cows around...

Dunno if any are active, Im taking some prints right now, any help with IDs would be greatly appreciated.

I found this one growing from dung/soil mix.....the cap is about 7 centimetres diameter...gills are a dark purple colour and it looks like the spores coming up that way too. Haven't noticed much bluing yet. The cap itself is a tan colour with the center dominated by a darker orange/brown

These I found growing in some soil/wood mulch (which probably had some manure content) ... they were all fairly small, the largest cap probably no bigger than a ten cent piece. I didn't check to see if they stained blue. Gills were a sort of tan/rusty brown colour, like the caps but lighter. Apologies for the blurriness. I didn't pick any of these.

This one I found pretty much by itself near the ones above - it looks much like the first one. I saw alot of mushrooms that looked similar to the first mushroom (the first one listed in this post)....including a really big one, the cap of which had to be about twenty centimeters in diameter. Couldn't photograph it though because my camera had run out of space. Again apologies for the blurriness. I popped the cap off the stem for a spore print...when I first found it, the center seemed almost red with the outside of the cap white, but as I look closer I notice the cap is more tan/light orange and the center is a darker colour.

Other than these there were all kinds of mushrooms about....some distinctly yellow dung loving mushrooms, an incredible amount of white-gilled, grey/brown capped mushrooms that looked to me like Death Caps (one question, can handling death caps -suspected death caps- potentially make you sick?), some orange capped mushrooms with light orange pores that are abundant around here, and a few puffballs here and there...there's been a fair bit of rain and hopefully a fair bit more will pour over the next few days...it's nice seeing all these mushrooms around

Would appreciate any help with the identification of the above pictures,

Cheers
Pete

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
Re: Aussie ID request [Re: pete_gasparino]
    #1448638 - 04/11/03 02:54 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I reckon the first one is a Psilocybe Cubensis, just not in very good condition. You did say it was growing on dung?

I wouldn't eat it, not only I can't be 100% with that photo, but also because it looks like it could be starting to rot, or maybe infected with parasites.

Try blowing in the gills and see if a whole heap of little insects come out.

You say you haven't noticed "much" blueing...so is there any at all? If so, I could say with confidence that it's a P.Cubensis.

Blueing should be fairly obvious unless the mushroom is really dried out and old. Unfortunately, it's just too hard for me to tell with those photos. Maybe someone else can help.

I wouldn't eat any of them, but I reckon you found a good spot. Have another look after next rains.

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo (04/11/03 03:00 AM)

Offlinepete_gasparino
Re: Aussie ID request [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #1448681 - 04/11/03 03:22 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Hi,

yep it was growing out of dung, next to another similarly sized one. I don't think it's staining blue though - I've just tried bruising it fairly hard so we'll see in about 20 minutes or so (or longer?) The last mushroom there stains a sort of dark blue/grey colour...it's hard to tell. When they stain blue, do they stain blue, like, the blue listed on the top row of the 'Font Color' scheme..(next to green) or are they more blue like on the bottom row, to the left of the question mark (this is when you make a post BTW...)

Tried blowing on the gills.....no insects came out but I know what you mean, I've come across a few mushrooms today including one in my backyard that were positively covered in these tiny insects...they look like little fleas or something, really small, moving around constantly.

Well I hope I have found a good spot, I'll go back tomorrow if it rains again tonight (may do) and take a few more photos....maybe this time I won't get so many leaches on me :smile:

Offlinediggitydankman
No longer aCannabisConnoisseur

Loc: Michgan
    #1449028 - 04/11/03 09:26 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

By blue they mean that when bruised a blue tint will form. It will not look Blue more of a grey blue or even mixture of blue, grey,and green in some species. To me the first looks like a cubensis and it seems despite the bluriness that the edge of the cap seems to have a blueish hue to it.

--------------------
"It's only wrong if you get caught.
If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD."

Maynard James Keenan, Tool

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Aussie ID request [Re: diggitydankman]
    #1449065 - 04/11/03 09:56 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Ive only ever seen a greenish tinge in wild cubensis fruit. woodlovers, panaeolus and most strongly active species stain dark blue - Subaeruginosa blue to black.

--------------------

Offlinepete_gasparino
Re: Aussie ID request [Re: diggitydankman]
    #1449071 - 04/11/03 10:00 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Hi,

Ah, OK,. thanks for clearing that up with the blue thing. So will every portion of the mushroom that's exposed to air eventually stain blue? How long would it typically take? It's rained again here so I'll probably go out again tomorrow to see how things look.....most of the mushrooms I found that I think would stain blue, when I press my finger on them they go this darkish sort of bluegrey colour....I always thought it was moisture escaping or something like that? When I found a boletus I tore the flesh and it instantly went a blue like the royal blue, a really obvious colour. Would it happen like that or would it occur straight away or pretty much straight away upon pressing the cap in?

Cheers, and thanks for the help so far

Offlinepete_gasparino
    #1449086 - 04/11/03 10:08 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

One more thing BTW - are there any other types of mushroom that will stain blue/dark blue/dark green if pressed on the cap or the stem? I always thought it'd be a definite positive but it's sort of hard to tell for me apparently, maybe I've been looking at things the wrong way (as in I thought the bruising would be full on blue).....I didn't try the other mushrooms (the brown ones) but that last one definately went blue/dark blue/grey in colour....is there a way to test positively for indoles...does that pine needle + ethanol + HCl to produce a red colour work or is it a sham? Thanks and any help with the other IDs would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Regards
Pete   

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

#1449095 - 04/11/03 10:11 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Boletes stain very blue - but most australian native mushrooms will stain a dark royal blue that is very obvious.
Sounds more like the greyish sort of stain of mycena than an obvious blue staining - let me post a picture:

--------------------

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: Aussie ID request [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1449108 - 04/11/03 10:19 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

not really that clear, but the some blue stains is that best i could find without doing some downloading.

--------------------

Offlinepete_gasparino
Re: Aussie ID request [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1449116 - 04/11/03 10:25 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Hi

thanks for the pctures bluemeanie....I can kind of notice the staining on the stems and such, and that's (from what I can tell) the kind of blue stain I've been seeing when I press my fingers on the caps for the ones I find....do cubensis grow so big (I saw one today with a cap diameter of at least 15 cm) ? Have you got any more/willing to post any more staining pictures of aussie mushrooms....if so I'd appreciate it and if not....well that's fine too, thanks for the help.....now I just got to track down IDs for those brown ones in the middle and then go back tomorrow :smile:

cheers 

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1449172 - 04/11/03 11:05 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

As the others have mentioned, check for bluing. If they aren't bruising blue, then you should shun them.

The second ones had tan to rusty brown gills? Rusty brown is a very bad color for gills on any mushroom you're considering eating. Galerina and Cortinarius both have that color gills and include deadly poisonous mushrooms.

The distinctly yellow dung loving mushrooms could be Bolbitius vitellinus. We need more description to be sure.

There are no known cases of anybody ever being poisoned by just handling a poisonous mushroom. You have to get it into your body somehow, and absorption through the skin seems to not occur. It's probably not a bad idea to wash your hands after handling them, but that's true just for basic sanitation anyway on any mushrooms.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinepete_gasparino
Re: Aussie ID request [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1449226 - 04/11/03 11:25 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Hi,

Thanks for the help....the yellow one I didn't get much info on, I just saw it and thought it looked pretty interesting. With the blue staining - will the cap/stem turn blue anywhere I bruise it significantly, and if I tear the cap will this turn blue? I'm guessing this takes around 20 minutes or so? Like I said in the earlier posts with bluemeanie, sometimes I press the cap hard and it turns a bluegrey straight away, so I find it a bit hard to tell

Thanks

Offlinerommstein2001
Rise ye Must!
 User Gallery

Loc: South GA
    #1449266 - 04/11/03 11:44 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

mjshroomer.com has pics in the ID section of bluing mushrooms, Link in a sec..

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1449273 - 04/11/03 11:48 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

HEy Pete, Here is a picture of a blue stained Psilocybe baeocystis.

THis blue is the same as in P. subaerruginosa, and eucalypta, etc, and similar to blue meanies which are actually a darker bluish black woith age or extreeme damage.

Mostly in the stems and sometimes inthe caps.

HEre is a P. cyanescens which are similar in macroscopic appearances to P. subaeruginosa in Aussie land/

and some bluing in Copelandia cyanescens (Blue Meanies). This next image below is here due to the coutesy of GGreatOne234. This is from Clorida, but you can see the bliung in the stems and some in the caps.

mj

mj

Offlinerommstein2001
Rise ye Must!
 User Gallery

Loc: South GA
Re: Aussie ID request [Re: rommstein2001]
    #1449275 - 04/11/03 11:48 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

http://mushroomjohn.com/species28a.htm

Also, putting the mushroom on a red piece of paper, or a red backdrop makes it much easier to see bluing, which starts bluing after 2-3 minutes after handling.

--------------------

Offlinepete_gasparino
Re: Aussie ID request [Re: rommstein2001]
    #1449348 - 04/11/03 12:19 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Hi

Thanks alot for all the pictures :smile: This gives me a much better idea of what bluing looks like....seems variable. I guess I didn't find psilocybe this time, the one I have won't stain blue no matter if I bruise it or tear the flesh....though the sporeprint came up purple and it looks like a psilocybe. I might go back tomorrow morning and see what's about - should I go back to the same place you think (about a 1 km area diameter where I look....there's alot of species around but I don't think I've come across a psilocybe there in about 3 hunts or so) or try somewhere else? Therescows around there and such.....this time I'll know if they are active because of the quick bluing....Again thanks alot

Pete 

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
    #1450431 - 04/11/03 06:46 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, my post "Australian Cubensis" shows some blue meanies that are pretty blue stained too.

Offlinepete_gasparino
Re: Aussie ID request [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #1450862 - 04/11/03 10:00 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Whats another mushroom that looks like cubensis (ala my top picture) that has a purple spore print but doesn't stain blue?

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

#1451801 - 04/12/03 06:09 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Great pics MJ - all i could find was:

It never comes out on my scanner!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification